Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

network attached storage

Options
  • 31-10-2008 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has any advice for me. I have 2 XP machines (one pro one home ) working in my home/office. These are connected to a router which has a targa databox network drive connected ( this uses the NDAS protocol ) .... all was working fine until i had to put sp3 onto one of the pc's ... NDAS doesnt allow different operating systems read write access simultaneously... and SP3 seems to be considered a "different" OS to SP2. Any way i would upgrade the second PC to SP3 but i have already tried that and was forced to revert back to SP2 and i dont want to go near it again ( i think some machines just dont like SP3 or something )
    In any case i will eventually also need to get an apple mac and a linux machine connected so really i dont think the NDAS system i have will work for me....

What i need is NAS that :

• will handle multiple OS's better than the one i now have
    • operates a 2 drive RAID mirroring system for security
    • will allow me to access music and photos around the house wirelessly ( really i dont know a lot about this and i would have assumed that a music file is just like any file but i see lots of nas has "itunes friendly" on it... also inn my dreams i imagine some kind of system that i can connect to the sitting room tv/amp which will allow me to access network stored media with a remote :rolleyes: )
    • is reasonably enconomical to run 24/7

maybe there are other issues that i havent thought about that some of the experts here have come accross...

thanks in advance

Advertisement