Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAA to JAA license conversion

• 31-10-2008 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi All,

I've held a CAA PPL (single-engine - land) for 9 years now. I want to apply to the CAA for a JAA license before the whole EASA thing kicks off, but I was wondering about three possible obstacles:

1. I don't have a CAA radio telephony license (can this exam be taken when I have the JAA license?)

2. All my flying for the past 8 years has been in EI- reg aircraft between Irish airfields.

3. My re-validations have been signed by Irish (JAR) instructors.

Has anyone reading this converted a CAA license to JAA under similar circumstances?

Thanks,

C

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

customer wrote: »
    Hi All,

I've held a CAA PPL (single-engine - land) for 9 years now. I want to apply to the CAA for a JAA license before the whole EASA thing kicks off, but I was wondering about three possible obstacles:

1. I don't have a CAA radio telephony license (can this exam be taken when I have the JAA license?)

2. All my flying for the past 8 years has been in EI- reg aircraft between Irish airfields.

3. My re-validations have been signed by Irish (JAR) instructors.

Has anyone reading this converted a CAA license to JAA under similar circumstances?

Thanks,

C

From memory I thought the grandfather rule came into this and if you had an old CAA issued license then it became a JAA license.
    Not sure if there was an expiry time on this ?

When you revalidated did you never have to send off to CAA licensing HQ at Gatwick?
    Or did you send in license to IAA ?

How was your license being updated, sorry I am trying to remember old revalidation rules ?

How did you get the PPL without the radio telephony license because it is definetly a requirement for the JAA license and the UK version of the practical test is necessary AFAIK if you are converting from other JAA state to UK ?
    And I would thus state you will have to have it before you get the license.

A CAA license now is a JAA license since they are one of the signatories of the whole JAR process. They may make you affectively sit a skills test with CAA certified examiner but I would check it out.

Your best bet is firstly to check out the Lasors and also send email outlining your position to contacts on this page.
    http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=137&pagetype=90&pageid=6297

They may come back with swift reply to look up the Lasors etc or they may come back with actual answer.
    Anyway best thing to do is ask the CAA.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

Why not simply get an Irish JAR licence, seeing as all your flying is in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 customer

Why not simply get an Irish JAR licence, seeing as all your flying is in Ireland?

Thanks for your reply!

I rang d'IAA and saw about getting an Irish JAA PPL, but they said I'd have to apply to the aviation authority or the country of license issue, then I could apply for a change of state of issue

Advertisement