Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do UPS collect Duty/VAT?

• 31-10-2008 5:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭

Hey all,

I've looked through some older threads and posts but can't find a clear answer.

Can anyone tell me how UPS collect Duty/VAT, do they collect it when they deliver the package in cash/credit card. Or do I get an Invoice at a later stage?

I'm not looking to avoid it, I've placed an order with B&H and fully expect to get stung, just want to know if I need to have cash ready or funds ready on the credit card to pay when it arives.

Many Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Pinarello

King Eric wrote: »
    Hey all,

I've looked through some older threads and posts but can't find a clear answer.

Can anyone tell me how UPS collect Duty/VAT, do they collect it when they deliver the package in cash/credit card. Or do I get an Invoice at a later stage?

I'm not looking to avoid it, I've placed an order with B&H and fully expect to get stung, just want to know if I need to have cash ready or funds ready on the credit card to pay when it arives.

Many Thanks

When UPS call to your door they will tell you how much Duty is to be paid on the item.they will offer you the option of payment by Cash/Cheque/Credit Card.If you ordered a camera from B&H expect to be stung big time.I ordered a Rebel XTI,battery grip,and a 17-70mm lens..I got stung for over €200 but for some reason or other it never came off my credit card.My wife ordered €100 worth of toys from the Disney website and UPS asked for €24 at the front door.They did collect this time.
    I think you would be better off in future with KERSO.All of his items are in Europe(so no duty to be paid) and with the price of the dollar vs the euro he is a good bet...;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

A friend ordered some clothes from the US last Christmas. I think it was sent Fed-Ex

The Bill came for the VAT etc. in August.

It can take quite a while.

CabanSail wrote: »
    A friend ordered some clothes from the US last Christmas. I think it was sent Fed-Ex

The Bill came for the VAT etc. in August.

It can take quite a while.

I ordered the camera in Febuary no collection of Duty.When my wife recieved the goods at the front door from the Disney store,it came off my credit card the next day.Sorry if i'm hijacking the orignal thread.Just my experience with UPS.I'm going with Kerso the next time...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭King Eric

Thanks a mil for the replies

I was after specific items that I dont think Kea Photo stocks.

Pocket wizards, manfrotto clamps, hotshoe adapters, magic arm and other fun stuff :-) still gonna work out cheaper even with the vat.

So from what you guys have said, i need to have either cash or credit card handy when i answer the door. Although it may take a while to come off the credit card?

Is there an option to get ethm to invoice you and not pay immediately at the door?

Thanks again

King Eric wrote: »
    Thanks a mil for the replies

I was after specific items that I dont think Kea Photo stocks.

Pocket wizards, manfrotto clamps, hotshoe adapters, magic arm and other fun stuff :-) still gonna work out cheaper even with the vat.

So from what you guys have said, i need to have either cash or credit card handy when i answer the door. Although it may take a while to come off the credit card?

Is there an option to get ethm to invoice you and not pay immediately at the door?

Thanks again

I've got stuff from Fedex(non camera related)before and they send you a bill that you can pay in the bank.With UPS, Visa or Mastercard is very handy and probably the best option.The guy from UPS will give you a reciept when you pay the bill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭liamtinney

The ups driver that comes to my buisness is cash only and wont leave the parcel without money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

FedEx sent me an invoice about four weeks later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

Pinarello wrote: »
    When UPS call to your door they will tell you how much Duty is to be paid on the item.they will offer you the option of payment by Cash/Cheque/Credit Card.If you ordered a camera from B&H expect to be stung big time.I ordered a Rebel XTI,battery grip,and a 17-70mm lens..I got stung for over €200 but for some reason or other it never came off my credit card.My wife ordered €100 worth of toys from the Disney website and UPS asked for €24 at the front door.They did collect this time.
    I think you would be better off in future with KERSO.All of his items are in Europe(so no duty to be paid) and with the price of the dollar vs the euro he is a good bet...;)

Who's Kerso and what does he supply? Website?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

He sells stuff on ebay and will also sell direct if you email him. He has Canon/Nikon/Sigma gear and probably some more stuff too.

Here's his ebay shop: http://stores.ebay.ie/FLASH-CAMERA

I think he posted here a couple of weeks back too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭ttcomet

Just a small point, American pocket wizards are not technically legal in Europe, and they also wont work with any existing European models you may have of them.

It has to do with what ever frequency they use.

I am not sure if customs would know enough to stop it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

UPS only accepted cash when they called to me, bunch of losers. I have to ring them about 10 times to get a receipt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

guy with gun called to my house set dog on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 13tsoptuo

Stephen wrote: »
    He sells stuff on ebay and will also sell direct if you email him. He has Canon/Nikon/Sigma gear and probably some more stuff too.

Here's his ebay shop: http://stores.ebay.ie/FLASH-CAMERA

I think he posted here a couple of weeks back too :)

Where are his posts? I wanna see!

Advertisement