Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Netopia router: Can't get wireless net access

Options
  • 31-10-2008 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Can anyone help me please? I've put my laptop's MAC address into my 2247NWG router yet I can't get a signal. Works fine when I plug the ethernet cable into both pieces of hardware but without it, as I said, nothing.

:confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

And what happens if you remove the laptop mac address? Can you get wireless access then?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭DirksDiggler

Nope. Not a thing.

Bizarre :confused:

Can you tell us a little more? Why did you put the mac address into the router in the first place? Have you any security settings set up? Have you got the wireless enabled in the netopia? Can you laptop see networks in other situations?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭DirksDiggler

Forgive my ignorance but what is there to tell?

I have NetGear and Belkin routers that I can configure to get wireless access with my eyes closed but this bloody eircom one seems to be the exception.

As for the laptop MAC address, I have to put that into the router CP don't I?

At home I have wireless access through my Belkin router for my 360, PS3 and htpc. To get it I simply entered their MAC addresses to the control panel and away I went.

As for this one, security settings are fine, wireless is enabled, the internal wireless card in my laptop is working perfectly, I just haven't got a clue what the problem is. Its so bloody frustrating considering the other one's were so straightforward to set up (and they give this laptop wireless access when I bring it home).

Unless you have mac filtering enabled you don't need to put in the mac address - thats what I was curious about.

Have you tried changing the wireless channel that the netopia uses? Is your laptop american by any chance they may not see the higher wireless channels.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Check if WEP is enabled, if it is you will have to use a password to connect to the router wirelessly.

MAC shouldnt really be used.

Advertisement