Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help : New gfx card

Options
  • 31-10-2008 5:33pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'll need to upgrade by 2009 and I ned any help I can get on gfx cards.

At the moment I have a GIGABYTE Geforce 6800- Silent Pipe

The card needs to be silent, i.e. no fan.

Have there been any advances with this tech? Does anyone know what the most powerful non-fan gfx card I can get is ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

What are the rest of Your specs? I mean, will it play a modern game with a new card? What are You expecting of the card?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Oh I'll be updating everything so no problems there. The point is to get the most up-to-date silent gfx card there is. When I bought this machine (1.8Ghz AMD) it was the 6800.

Asus now produce these silent cards :

http://www.asus.com/vga_product_spect_list.aspx?psc_id=5165

But I've been out of the loop for years now so I don't know what the best model number are any more. Where would the HD 3650 appear in gfx card rankings?

*sigh* I think I'm getting old :p

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Typically you can get a Fan-based card to run moderately quiet these days. The GTX 200s are leaf-blowers though from what my cousin says. Tha ATI 4850 is sounding reasonable right now, but when I put it under load I have headphones on so I couldnt tell you.

Would you be updating the graphics or the whole build? You could always just get a new Dual Core system, (it will be a good while yet before software takes real advantage of quad core - for now they're really just for posterity) and then watercool it.

Or...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

****.. lost entire post but les witty summery is :

Bubbles are great but doesn't the oil smell after a while?

PC needs to be quiet. Shares a room with baby. PC is cd player, dvd player, TV and is always on. It'll be a full new build, probably dual-core. Basic surfing and gaming required. I tend to update every 3 years and my new Fallout 3 is sitting in the box laughing at my current set-up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Babies are pretty sound sleepers tbh. Rear them to sleep in a dead quiet room and later in life they start going mental when you leave a mechanical clock in the hallway - like my Stepmother's Sister: absolute lunatic that way. They'd do better with gentle background noise imo but check with the Parenting forum anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭alansweeney100

Sounds like you're after a powerful modern graphics card which are leaf blowers as mentioned earlier.
    You can use third party coolers with silent fans from Noctua or Scythe
    The Skythe musashi cooler fits the ATI's 4870 and NVIDIA's 9800GTX+
    Thermalrights new T-rad2 fits loads of cards see here
    Thermalright also have the HR-03 GTX on the way for the GT200 series

Don't be scared off by fans, see Quiet PCs table for noise levels and performance of the latest 120mm fans

Advertisement