Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung NC10

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

HA!

I assumed it had one, yet when I went looking for it last night.. I never even thought to check the front.

Had a USB card reader plugged into it for the night too! :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

basquille wrote: »
    HA!

I assumed it had one, yet when I went looking for it last night.. I never even thought to check the front.

Had a USB card reader plugged into it for the night too! :D

Its the drive letter in My Computer than you're not able to access btw (without a card in it.....)

smccarrick wrote: »
    Its the drive letter in My Computer than you're not able to access btw (without a card in it.....)
    Never noticed it.. only noticed my local drive (and the recovery partition - which i must remove).

Never noticed it.. only noticed my local drive (and the recovery partition - which i must remove).

Mine is listed as "Removable Disk (E: )" but is inaccessible until you put a SD card in it. I was messing around with the drive letter manager so I could have done something I guess?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

yeah, took me a minute to find the card reader. there's a blank card shaped bit of plastic in it so it's pretty low profile. just got a 2GB Sandisk Extreme III in the post today for 'readyboost' usage in vista.

will do some tests and let you know how i get on.

still only got 1gb ram though so hopefully it'll make a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,496 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Installed the bios update for the craic but don't see anything new in the bios. Wish Samsung gave a list of fixes for their bios updates.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Supercell wrote: »
    Wish Samsung gave a list of fixes for their bios updates.
    Yeah, that's what I was looking for too. Very odd?! :confused:

stuck the sdcard in and vista says it "doesn't possess the properties required for readyboost usage" (or somesuch) so I reckon it might be a fake. that's ebay for ya I guess. caveat emptor. :(

manually set it to readyboost mode but it's not really making any difference so far. maybe it'll taske a few reboots to get the most out of it (if at all).

the card is showing up as fujitsu. does anyone know if it's possible that sandisk use fujitsu parts (which could explain it) or if this is definitely a fake?

i was looking online for a memory checker app of some sort but can't find anything useful. :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The Via Nanos are actually a pretty decent processor (relatively speaking of course) from what I've seen. They are a big improvement over the c7 and have a bit more grunt than the atom. They do use more power though which is a bit of a let down especially seeing as this has a bigger screen than the nc10. The nc20 is a nice bit of kit but the price is a big let down.

Edit: @Vibe - Readyboost is pretty useless. With 1GB of ram you'd barely notice a difference. It's only really any use with 512MB ram and even then the money would be better spent on more ram.

• Advertisement

I really fail too see the attraction of the NC20, bulkier, more power consumption, heavier price tag, have the Samsung marketing droids lost sight of why the NC10 is such a good seller?
    Imho 10" is pushing it in netbook terms already, 12" is not a netbook..its laptop or "Notebook".

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I really fail too see the attraction of the NC20, bulkier, more power consumption, heavier price tag, have the Samsung marketing droids lost sight of why the NC10 is such a good seller?
    Imho 10" is pushing it in netbook terms already, 12" is not a netbook..its laptop or "Notebook".

In fairness you own a nabaztag so you can't criticise anyone. :D I wouldn't consider it a netbook. 10" and under is a netbook, 12" and 11" is an ultraportable. I can see the attraction to a certain degree. The bigger screen is nice and while it is bulkier it would still be lighter and have a better battery life than a normal 12" laptop with the lack of a dvd drive and more energy efficient processor. The price is going to kill it though.

I'd just pay the extra and get a real 12" laptop with a core 2. I don't think I'd be the only one either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

To be honest the Samsung P210 is far better than the NC20.

Found my Card Reader! :D

Found my Card Reader! :D

Phew. After the suspense we went through just getting you the nc10 I don't think I would have lived through you trying to sort out the missing card reader.

In fairness you own a nabaztag so you can't criticise anyone. :D

Its mine :o

smccarrick wrote: »
    Its mine :o
    Oops. My sincerest apologies, supercell.

*shakes head at smccarrick*

What happened to you man. You used to be cool.

Oops. My sincerest apologies, supercell.

*shakes head at smccarrick*

What happened to you man. You used to be cool.

His missus wares the techno shoes in that house, no wonder its all gone a bit pink. Not a shrewn pizza box to be seen by all accounts.

It all started to go horribly wrong when my application for robot wars was turned down :(

• Advertisement

Supercell- I've a bone to pick with you- now shes saying she'd have everything in the house pink if she could....... Well her Chrismas pressie is a black NC10- tough.......Just hope she doesn't find lapjacks or similar!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Hey, I'm thinking of getting one of these after Christmas.

Anyone know, how annoying is it to not have a CD drive, and how awkward is it to use an external one? Is it just a case of plug and play? Cheers.

dory wrote: »
    Hey, I'm thinking of getting one of these after Christmas.

Anyone know, how annoying is it to not have a CD drive, and how awkward is it to use an external one? Is it just a case of plug and play? Cheers.

Its simple- just plug and play, no software to install or anything (depending on what you want to do of course). Most external drives come with some basic software (OEM version of Nero, or Win DVD for example).

Note: using the external drive on battery power will murder the battery. Also the power supplied from the USB ports on the NC10 is halved while on battery power (as opposed to plugged in) so some particularly power hungry devices may need a double USB plug (if it needs one- it'll probably come with one......)

S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

How annoying not having a cd drive depends on your own usage. Personally i rarely use a disc drive on my laptop and netbook. So not havuing one really doesnt bother me, a cd = 700mb, a 1Gb usb stick costs peanuts these days. Using an external is as simple as plug and play, but whether or not you even need one is questionable.

dory wrote: »
    Well.. if you're like me, you haven't used a CD drive in 3 years.

What does a CD drive do that an ISO and emulation software, or USB key can't? Not a whole lot!

But you could buy a USB powered external CD / DVD drive if needs be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

What does a CD drive do that an ISO and emulation software, or USB key can't? Not a whole lot!

Agree,100%
    I use deamon tools life,alot of the time images can be downloaded or just burn it on your pc or laptop.TBH my pc has got less than 5 hours of use since getting my NC10....

• Advertisement

I know, my advent has almost become my main computer, seeing that 90% of the time i just browse the net.

I'm just building a Samsung P210 here, 12" with DVDrw built in with Intel Core 2 Duo, looks a nice laptop obviously a step up from the NC10 in size and price and a step down in battery but for those who need a little more power its a nice laptop and comes with Vista and XP media!

i read somewhere that a U3 based USB pen drive can be hacked to boot from an iso image stored on it, and i know you can set regular ones up as bootable too so that most OS installtion disks can be moved onto them and then booted directly from USB.

afaik the only reason you'd ever really need a cd drive is to install an OS and you don't een need one to do that any more. :)

if you LAN is a decent speed you could probably just set up a PXE network boot if your bios supports it and host the OS installation disk on another PC.

there's plenty of ways around it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭davemie

I can't understand why someone hasn't designed a USB memory stick, that allows you to copy an ISO onto it, and with the switch of a button (on the stick), the stick then appears to the PC as a USB CD/DVD drive and the ISO appears as a disk that is inserted in the drive!!!

This would make things so simple. No more messing around trying to get OS/Apps/Games etc installed from a USB drives.

Maybe I should patent this idea... what ya think? Or maybe it already exists and I just don't know......

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭davemie

vibe666 wrote: »
    i read somewhere that a U3 based USB pen drive can be hacked to boot from an iso image stored on it, and i know you can set regular ones up as bootable too so that most OS installtion disks can be moved onto them and then booted directly from USB.

Bugger, you bet me too it, guess I should read the thread in full before posting my comments. I was drinking last night, so that's my excuse!

• Advertisement

davemie wrote: »
    I can't understand why someone hasn't designed a USB memory stick, that allows you to copy an ISO onto it, and with the switch of a button (on the stick), the stick then appears to the PC as a USB CD/DVD drive and the ISO appears as a disk that is inserted in the drive!!!

This would make things so simple. No more messing around trying to get OS/Apps/Games etc installed from a USB drives.

Maybe I should patent this idea... what ya think? Or maybe it already exists and I just don't know......
    USB drives can emulate CD drives the Vodafone 3G dongle does it

davemie wrote: »
    As vibe666 said above, there is a trick with the U3 based USB keys that allows you to emulate an ISO from it (by replacing the U3 ISO with one of your own).

See here!

EDIT: Bah.. took too long in a reply.. hate that!

Bootable pen drives are the way ahead i think as is solid state storage in general in all likelyhood.
    The only thing I've used cd's for in the last few years is OS installation and given the speed that Vista went on to my NC10 via usb key I wont be doing os installation by cd again.
    By the way I would recommend Alcohol 52% over daemon-tools any day. It's also free, but has better emulation and is not riddled with spyware, and has other features such as remote iscsi virtual drives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

As vibe666 said above, there is a trick with the U3 based USB keys that allows you to emulate an ISO from it (by replacing the U3 ISO with one of your own).

See here!

EDIT: Bah.. took too long in a reply.. hate that!

Is it possible to use the same technique and creat a bootable install USB for Vista ? I have an NC10 and would like to install vista on it. I don't have an external DVD drive so may be the USB would be an option.

Scrub that. Looks like this linky should do the trick: http://www.techmixer.com/install-windows-vista-from-bootable-usb-flash-memory-drive/

yep, there's quite a few apps out there that will do it from a standard ISO image or original CD/DVD.

you might need a U3 one though if it's a custom install CD, i seem to remember someone saying that the likes of tinyxp don't work from a standard usb drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Fnz

Have you tried updating the wireless driver?
    Sorry for not replying sooner - Xmas and all. Thanks for the suggestion but iirc it comes with the latest drivers. Will have to double check when I get the chance.
    ongarite wrote: »
    Go to Control Panel-Mouse-Device Settings-Settings.
    In Virtual Scrolling disable vertical & chiralMotion scrolling.
    In Pointer Motion, disable Pinch (this is causing the zoom to happen)

In 2FingerScroll program, tick "Start with Windows", change Speed to 2 and disable Acceleration & change "One + one finger" to middle button.

Thanks, works fine now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 bcdccm

not sure if this q was asked before but what driver do i need to get the camera working after installing vista? Everytime desktop appears after boot i get message looking for driver for "Namuga 1.3 camera"
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Bootable pen drives are the way ahead i think as is solid state storage in general in all likelyhood.
    The only thing I've used cd's for in the last few years is OS installation and given the speed that Vista went on to my NC10 via usb key I wont be doing os installation by cd again.
    By the way I would recommend Alcohol 52% over daemon-tools any day. It's also free, but has better emulation and is not riddled with spyware, and has other features such as remote iscsi virtual drives.

If you read what you're installing on Daemon tools you'd notice all the "spyware" is optional :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭blobert

Hi folks, after spending much of the day trying to install XP via USB and failing I put Vista Ultimate on. I've installed all drivers and BIOS update, I turned off Aero and other effects but I'm still finding it very sluggish compared to XP. Some of the rest of you seem to be happy with Vista SP 1 performance so pehaps I have done something wrong. I tried installing a 2GB SD card for Readyboost in the hope of improving it but it's still sluggish.

Don't think its worth getting the extra RAM, I think the money might be better spent on an external USB DVD Drive to install Xp.

If anyone has any suggestions on ways to speed things up let me know.

Oh and the function keys do not seem to be working either. I thought I saw a solution here but I can't find it now:(

• Registered Users Posts: 40 slinger99

Just got my nc10...what a joy to behold....even nicer to use than my dell xps laptop....not the most powerful computer in the world but you get exactly what it says on the tin....no probs transferring music etc...connected up to my friends wireless network & surfed away no prob.:D

• Advertisement

blobert wrote: »
    Hi folks, after spending much of the day trying to install XP via USB and failing I put Vista Ultimate on. I've installed all drivers and BIOS update, I turned off Aero and other effects but I'm still finding it very sluggish compared to XP. Some of the rest of you seem to be happy with Vista SP 1 performance so pehaps I have done something wrong. I tried installing a 2GB SD card for Readyboost in the hope of improving it but it's still sluggish.

Don't think its worth getting the extra RAM, I think the money might be better spent on an external USB DVD Drive to install Xp.

If anyone has any suggestions on ways to speed things up let me know.

Oh and the function keys do not seem to be working either. I thought I saw a solution here but I can't find it now:(

Upgrade the RAM to 2Gigs, it's cheap to do and will give you the most gains as far as performance is concerned. Wouldn't bother with the whole ready boost, it's a bit of a waste of time tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Upgrade the RAM to 2Gigs..

Is this a must if installing Vista? Or just a "nice to have"? Can I ask, what is the 2gb RAM stick of choice for the NC10?

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭blobert

Thanks, I removed the SD card and turned off Readyboost which sped things up a bit.

I think I might just switch back to XP if I can get it to work, I prefer it to Vista and it should be significantly quicker without needing a RAM upgrade.

The function keys do not seem to be working either. I thought I saw a solution here but I can't find it now, does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

This machine is still impressing me,Keep working no matter what..I'm now dualbooting mac osx leopard and Xp,Ran photoshop CS4 extended on Mac making 3D graphics and it was struggling but still usable will be upgrading to 2gb ram :)

benifa wrote: »
    Is this a must if installing Vista? Or just a "nice to have"? Can I ask, what is the 2gb RAM stick of choice for the NC10?

Thanks!

Any 667Mhz DDR2 SODIMM should do the trick. (The memory will effectively be underclocked to 533Mhz- the FSB speed, but will be more stable).

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 lou f

looking at picking up an nc10, are all the OSX issues sorted and does it make the machine any faster than the XP install? also how well do .raw picture files run with the 2gb of ram?

ta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

i've gotten about 5/6 hours of use before recharging, watched a movie on the plane and it went from full battery to 78%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

I dont think the Battery life is gonna be great in this... :(
    Big thread about Battery wear here is not inspiring confidence at all.

I've noticed as well a few weeks ago when i got it, by clicking 'max battery performance' (in Samsung battery manager) would give you close to 7hrs.
    Now i've it charged 100% and its only showing 4hrs56. :confused:

The problem is that nobody knows how to properly look after a battery. Do we discharge fully / charge at 40%? How do we break it in? Charge for 12 hours right out of the box? So much conflicting information and we get confused with the battery advice from other devices.

Percentages mean nothing unless it translates in to loss of time. Has anyone actually timed an NC10 from fully charged to fully discharged on that thread? No, they just spot check windows battery bar or some dodgy percentage program.

QED.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

smemon wrote: »
    The problem is that nobody knows how to properly look after a battery. Do we discharge fully / charge at 40%? How do we break it in? Charge for 12 hours right out of the box? So much conflicting information and we get confused with the battery advice from other devices.

Percentages mean nothing unless it translates in to loss of time. Has anyone actually timed an NC10 from fully charged to fully discharged on that thread? No.

QED.

the battery comes 100% charged out of the box

Advertisement