Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung NC10

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

Have they started shipping electronic goods over here again?

Some of their suppliers send to Ireland. I ordered a camera grip last week from Amazon direct and it was here in 3 days. P&P has come down an awful lot too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Just to say, started using my NC 10 today.

Great little machine, very happy.

Very good mobile laptop. No more will I be asking my siblings in Ireland:), "can I use you computer?" but "can I use your wireless?" :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭Ronanc1

just like the greeenman i too am enjoying my beautiful little nc10 today and i gotta say that its surpassed my expectations

Ronanc1 wrote: »
    just like the greeenman i too am enjoying my beautiful little nc10 today and i gotta say that its surpassed my expectations

Ye great little machine, enjoy it. Love the Fn functions!!!!

What carry bag are people using?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I ordered a blue one yesterday and recieved it today,fast delievery.Should I let the battery run down before I give it,its first charge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

eVeNtInE wrote: »
    It could just be a loose connection. If you are handy with these things you could take it apart yourself and try and fix it yourself.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I recommend contacting Samsung- their warranty support team are pretty good. It does sound like a loose connection more so than anything else- it will cost you in the region of EUR100 just to get anyone at all to look at it. You have a warranty with the product- use it.

If it is a loose connection- the output from the VGA socket will still be perfect. Plug it into an external monitor and see if it works as normal. If it doesn't- something more fundamental is wrong unfortunately.

SMcCarrick

How old is it?

If its not working properly bring it back to where you bought it.

Did you ever drop it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Elara: Kin

Either way I would try get it sorted out before it gets worse. You can either give Samsung a shout as they will collect and repair the unit for you or you can get it sorted through us if you don like dealing with them, we can get them to collect it off us instead.

Any problems let me know.

Kin Mak wrote: »
    Either way I would try get it sorted out before it gets worse. You can either give Samsung a shout as they will collect and repair the unit for you or you can get it sorted through us if you don like dealing with them, we can get them to collect it off us instead.

Any problems let me know.

Well you can't say better than that!!!

Let us know when its sorted eVeNtInE.

Let us know the outcome please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

I bought an NC10 from Elara in November. The other day I plugged it in to the charger and it immediately shut down. For the days before this it wouldn't charge straight away like it used to. But the other day, after unplugging it and plugging it back in sparks [literally] started coming out of the cable itself near the part that enters the small black box.
    While my laptop did turn on again its battery is now flat because there is no way I'm allowing that charger go near it again. My question is what do I do to get the charger replaced- does Elara require I send back the laptop too? Do I post them it or do they send out a delivery person?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Elara: Kin

rc28 wrote: »
    I bought an NC10 from Elara in November. The other day I plugged it in to the charger and it immediately shut down. For the days before this it wouldn't charge straight away like it used to. But the other day, after unplugging it and plugging it back in sparks [literally] started coming out of the cable itself near the part that enters the small black box.
    While my laptop did turn on again its battery is now flat because there is no way I'm allowing that charger go near it again. My question is what do I do to get the charger replaced- does Elara require I send back the laptop too? Do I post them it or do they send out a delivery person?

Samsung will need the whole unit back including the charger so everything has to be returned(usually the case). Samsung collect the unit for free themselves, as I said to eVeNtInE if you would like us to handle it you can fill in a returns form on our website so we will deal with Samsung for you directly. Personally I don't see the point in it coming back to us but you have the option of doing either. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭mobby

I am looking at buying a NC10 and the price seems more or less the same on most websites around the €360/370 mark. However I notice on Pixmania's website they offer a 2 year Warranty compaired to just 1 year on others.

mobby wrote: »
    I am looking at buying a NC10 and the price seems more or less the same on most websites around the €360/370 mark. However I notice on Pixmania's website they offer a 2 year Warranty compaired to just 1 year on others.

It is my understanding that the 1 year warranty is an EU statutory min. Irish law trumps EU law in this respect- with a 2 year warranty. If you purchase the laptop from an Irish company (or the subsidiary thereof), you get the 2 year warranty. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong folks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭mobby

smccarrick wrote: »
    It is my understanding that the 1 year warranty is an EU statutory min. Irish law trumps EU law in this respect- with a 2 year warranty. If you purchase the laptop from an Irish company (or the subsidiary thereof), you get the 2 year warranty. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong folks!

Posted on the Komplett forum and got this responce http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=60499464&posted=1#post60499464 so it seems 1 year is the standard.

• Advertisement

What mouse are people using for the NC 10 including corded mice?

Want to pick up a mouse for my NC 10, without mouse is doable but I'm a mouse man at heart.

Thanks JD!!!

I'm much the same as yourself greenman had i the money i would have got the logitech nano (probably will in the future) but as i was in town the other day decided on a fairly usable cute impulse buy

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6752754/Trail/searchtext%3EMIKOMI+MOUSE.htm

its a grand little yoke nothing special but my suggestion would be go for the Nano

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Greenman wrote: »
    What mouse are people using for the NC 10 including corded mice?
    i went for the microsoft bluetooth notebook 5000 as you have the advantage of it being wireless, but without the need to use a dongle as it works with the built in bluetooth on the nc10 and it's dinky enough to carry around with the netbook without getting in the way.

whichever one you go for, i'd recommend searching out a BT mouse tho, it saves a lot of hassle unless you can get one of those micro/nano usb dongles for whatever mouse you get so it's not in the way or at risk of being broken off accidentally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I'm much the same as yourself greenman had i the money i would have got the logitech nano (probably will in the future) but as i was in town the other day decided on a fairly usable cute impulse buy

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/p...KOMI+MOUSE.htm

its a grand little yoke nothing special but my suggestion would be go for the Nano
    i got one of these a few months back and it is not working now! the connection is intermittant due to the cable being pulled all the time when you use the mouse, cheap and cheerful but there are better mice for the same money!

better mice for a fiver hahah yeah i just grabbed one on impulse i will be getting the logitech nano soon tho i do swear by logitechs stuff never let me down :)

A result, well done, thanks for the follow up. Hope it all works out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Just got one of these and having problems getting connected to my wireless access point.

it prompts for the WEP/WPA key, claims it's aquiring an IP address and then just gives up.

Did anyone else here have this type of issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Lucutus wrote: »
    Just got one of these and having problems getting connected to my wireless access point.

it prompts for the WEP/WPA key, claims it's aquiring an IP address and then just gives up.

Did anyone else here have this type of issue?
    That only happens if you using the incorrect password, make sure it's 100% correct and try again.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your reply, the password is 100% correct, checked on AP, tested and working from another laptop.

Looking for more suggestions...

Thanks for your reply, the password is 100% correct, checked on AP, tested and working from another laptop.

Looking for more suggestions...
    Remove the old wireless profiles (preferred networks below), move the laptop to a different place, reboot the computer and try again.

xp_wireless_networks_finished.JPG

Tried that, moved NC10 to about 5 feet from the AP, still the same. accepts the WPA key and aquiring network address a few times before it gives up.

Have updated the drivers with the bundled samsung update tool too. Still no joy.

Do a google for winsockxpfix.exe and lspfix.exe -download and run them. Does this help? After this go to the 'Advanced' tab (next one over from wireless networks), double click on TCP/IP filtering- and make sure 'Permit all' is selected for all the options there. S.

Tried that, moved NC10 to about 5 feet from the AP, still the same. accepts the WPA key and aquiring network address a few times before it gives up.

Have updated the drivers with the bundled samsung update tool too. Still no joy.
    Try powercycling your router for 30 seconds. If all else fails, connect up the Ethernet cable and reconfigure the wireless channel, name and WPA.

I tried powercycling the AP, changing the channel, SSID and the WPA key (to WEP, for the lol!). That didn't work.

So, I setup a test DSL router (with wireless) that was lying around, just to see if I could connect and get an IP from that, and lo and behold, it connected!

Happy enough now that the NC10 is not entirely at fault, (although I'm not convinced that the Atheros AR5007EG is the friendliest wireless chipset out there!), and that the AP is probably a little outdated.

Thanks for the help and pointers cpu-dude and smccarrick, greatly appreciated. *nods*

Luc

• Advertisement

I tried powercycling the AP, changing the channel, SSID and the WPA key (to WEP, for the lol!). That didn't work.

So, I setup a test DSL router (with wireless) that was lying around, just to see if I could connect and get an IP from that, and lo and behold, it connected!

Happy enough now that the NC10 is not entirely at fault, (although I'm not convinced that the Atheros AR5007EG is the friendliest wireless chipset out there!), and that the AP is probably a little outdated.

Thanks for the help and pointers cpu-dude and smccarrick, greatly appreciated. *nods*

Luc
    No problem. You didn't happen to have MAC filters setup on the other wireless router did you?

The AP in question is used in the office for visitors etc. so no MAC filtering enabled.

The AP in question is used in the office for visitors etc. so no MAC filtering enabled.
    Very strange indeed. I'm not a fan on the Atheros either, have a Dell 1390 in my parents house to collect soon, might dabble with OS X again then.

cpu-dude wrote: »
    Very strange indeed. I'm not a fan on the Atheros either, have a Dell 1390 in my parents house to collect soon, might dabble with OS X again then.

I'm also a not a fan of Atheros adaptors (after the hell I had with the configurator utility on one of the original Asus EEEPCs). I've swapped out the card with an Intel 5100 in my wife's NC10. I wasn't able to get a 5300 to work for some strange reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Did anyone try dual-booting XP with Ubuntu on the NC10? Much hassle? Worth it?

• Advertisement

Ronanc1 wrote: »

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6752754/Trail/searchtext%3EMIKOMI+MOUSE.htm

Got this for €7 this morning, dose the job very happy, this little laptop is a grand machine, fitted the 2gig ram but did not see a great difference.

21HXv12PMTL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Greenman wrote: »
    Got this for €7 this morning, dose the job very happy, this little laptop is a grand machine, fitted the 2gig ram but did not see a great difference.

21HXv12PMTL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Disable Paging File- and XP will make use of the RAM instead of caching to the hard-drive. Performance difference will be very noticeable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭budhabob

Disable Paging File- and XP will make use of the RAM instead of caching to the hard-drive. Performance difference will be very noticeable.

Sorry now for my ignorance, but can you expand on what you mean by this a little. thanks in advance.

budhabob wrote: »
    Sorry now for my ignorance, but can you expand on what you mean by this a little. thanks in advance.

Windows 2000, XP and later- have a preference for caching system files in page files on the hard-drive, even when sufficient RAM is present. Where large page files are present- it can significantly degrade performance. My own preference is to disable page filing at registry level.

Seriously though- don't go there- unless you know what you're doing- the potential to cause big problems isn't worth it.

You can set a maximum pagefile size via advanced system settings (of 200Mb or whatever)- and from the perspective of a normal user- it makes to do so- in light of the limitations in how Windows manages memory (if you do a proc call it may show bizarre amounts of memory usage- because it doesn't unload memory blocks, until another programme requests to use it).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭budhabob

Windows 2000, XP and later- have a preference for caching system files in page files on the hard-drive, even when sufficient RAM is present. Where large page files are present- it can significantly degrade performance. My own preference is to disable page filing at registry level.

Seriously though- don't go there- unless you know what you're doing- the potential to cause big problems isn't worth it.

You can set a maximum pagefile size via advanced system settings (of 200Mb or whatever)- and from the perspective of a normal user- it makes to do so- in light of the limitations in how Windows manages memory (if you do a proc call it may show bizarre amounts of memory usage- because it doesn't unload memory blocks, until another programme requests to use it).

Ah right, nice one, got you now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

I installed Windows 7 Beta on my NC10 and will be updating to the Release Candidate shortly. Works very well on it though I couldn't find the right drivers to get all the function buttons (brightness in particular) working, despite searching on a link provided earlier in this thread. Does anyone know where drivers that might help are available? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I installed Windows 7 Beta on my NC10 and will be updating to the Release Candidate shortly. Works very well on it though I couldn't find the right drivers to get all the function buttons (brightness in particular) working, despite searching on a link provided earlier in this thread. Does anyone know where drivers that might help are available? Thanks

The drivers for Vista work with Win 7
    Have a read here:
    http://www.sammynetbook.com/plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?107.0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

Can anyone tell me the best place to buy one of these in pink in Dublin?

Have the cash and would prefer to get the cheapest deal (no shipping costs).

Thanks!

The wifey has managed to pour a cup of coffee over her NC10. We held it upsidedown and cleaned it out as best we could- its booting as normal- but it seems that many of the keys are shorted. (It works fine on an external USB keyboard). What are the possibilities for getting a replacement keyboard- does anyone know?

Cheers,

Shane

• Advertisement
Advertisement