Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung NC10

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Blade wrote: »
    Yes indeed, I plan to test the signals before and after as soon as I get them. This way I can let my brother know if it's worth his while replacing his too, he has a similar situation and setup. The only thing is though as they're coming from China I've no idea how long they'll take to arrive, could be a few weeks, but hey it's supposed to rain for the rest of the Month anyway :)

Particularly when you install the larger antenna- but equally at present- try to make sure the wireless router is as far from masonry walls as possible.

S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭Kila

Does anyone have any idea where I might source a replacement rubber foot for my samsung NC10? One of the rubber feet on the battery has gone missing. I've got a pink one, so the rubber feet are white.

Would very much appreciate any pointers, as I've found nothing myself so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭MarthaT

Kila wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea where I might source a replacement rubber foot for my samsung NC10? One of the rubber feet on the battery has gone missing. I've got a pink one, so the rubber feet are white.

Probably try a samsung parts store online, or contact samsung

ipod.gif

You can get a pack of silicon feet in any good hardware shop (obviously its not intended that they be used as a computer accessory- but no reason to not use them for that purpose). You may end up having to replace the 3 remaining feet- in order to be consistent- there is nothing worse than having one foot ever so slightly shorter or longer than the other 3.......

S.

Have contacted samsung already, but based on other posts I've seen about the net, I'm not too optimistic that they'll provide me with feet.

Will check out hardware store and see if there's anything suitable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Maplin.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=rubber%20feet&source=15

Got a reply from samsung with a number I can call for replacement parts.
    Spares for all Samsung products can be purchased from our Authorised Service Centres, in this instance you should call Digicare on 0844 980 2125. Please note that not all component parts are available to purchase as spares, the team at Digicare will be able to advise you if the parts you require are available for purchase.

If you require any further assisstance with this matter please do not hesitate to get in touch with our IT Helpdesk on 0845 726 7864 quoting your customer reference number.

Got a reply from samsung with a number I can call for replacement parts.

Seriously- if its only 2 quid for silicone feet in Maplins- there is no valid reason for calling Samsung.....?

I'm somewhat picky about things matching :)

The feet in maplins are the wrong shape - I wouldn't be able to fit them into the groove in the bottom of the unit, nor would I be able to modify them to fit.

If I found white rubber feet that I could modify to fit, I'd maybe do so.

I'm somewhat picky about things matching :)

The feet in maplins are the wrong shape - I wouldn't be able to fit them into the groove in the bottom of the unit, nor would I be able to modify them to fit.

If I found white rubber feet that I could modify to fit, I'd maybe do so.

I understand what you're saying. To be perfectly honest- I'd be extremely surprised if Samsung carry the feet though- when they sell spare parts- normally its the technical rather than the cosmetic parts they have in mind. Give them a ring anyway.

A DIY jobbie on the Maplins feet- would have them matching- and fitting?

• Advertisement

I have been thinking that myself, but I figure it's worth a shot giving them a call. If they don't have them then I will do a DIY job on either those feet from Maplins, or some other similar product.

3M do a range of sticky feet, and one of that range is a strip that you cut to size yourself - I'm thinking that might be easiest to modify to put in, since it'll already be rectangular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

I upgraded to the Intel 5300 card and added extra antennae as per instructions on this page http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=58342617&highlight=Intel+5300+card#post58342617

The thing now is that every minute or so a little pop up comes up in the bottom right hand corner telling me "that Wireless Network Connection 2 is now connected"

My connectivity seems fine but the pop up is sooo annoying. Any ideas how to get rid of it or why it keeps popping up?

Ta,

moz wrote: »
    I upgraded to the Intel 5300 card and added extra antennae as per instructions on this page http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=58342617&highlight=Intel+5300+card#post58342617

The thing now is that every minute or so a little pop up comes up in the bottom right hand corner telling me "that Wireless Network Connection 2 is now connected"

My connectivity seems fine but the pop up is sooo annoying. Any ideas how to get rid of it or why it keeps popping up?

Ta,

Download the latest Intel software (not driver) for the card, and elect to have the Intel software control your connection, rather than windows. The Windows reminder thingy is automatically disabled- you simply get the little blue Intel radar symbol instead with the signal strength indicated by the number of lit ovals. link here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭mal_1

Pardon my tech ignorance; love my NC10 having bought it on the recommendations of this thread.

Haven't changed any settings or drivers and recently loaded AVG, as free McAfee has expired.

I had set up a network connection to the PC for sharing files which worked fine

Anyhow now the Local Area Connection is broken; with the 'Network cable unplugged'.
    The wireless connection appears to be ok, but not now getting access to the net

Is this effect of loading AVG and has it created a firewall.

Thanks

mal_1 wrote: »
    Pardon my tech ignorance; love my NC10 having bought it on the recommendations of this thread.

Haven't changed any settings or drivers and recently loaded AVG, as free McAfee has expired.

I had set up a network connection to the PC for sharing files which worked fine

Anyhow now the Local Area Connection is broken; with the 'Network cable unplugged'.
    The wireless connection appears to be ok, but not now getting access to the net

Is this effect of loading AVG and has it created a firewall.

Thanks

Possibly. If you're not on the internet- you don't need AVG anyhow- have you tried uninstalling it to see what happens?

As an aside- given the probs with AVG definitions- have you considered alternates- such as Avast? If you are setting up multiple network shares etc- do you have any prior experience with firewalls?

S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

smccarrick wrote: »
    Download the latest Intel software (not driver) for the card, and elect to have the Intel software control your connection, rather than windows. The Windows reminder thingy is automatically disabled- you simply get the little blue Intel radar symbol instead with the signal strength indicated by the number of lit ovals. link here

Thanks a lot mate.
    The link you posted is for windows vista OS but i found the right one for XP Home. Works a treat now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭mal_1

Possibly. If you're not on the internet- you don't need AVG anyhow- have you tried uninstalling it to see what happens?

As an aside- given the probs with AVG definitions- have you considered alternates- such as Avast? If you are setting up multiple network shares etc- do you have any prior experience with firewalls?

S.

S

Thanks for assistance.

Have unloaded AVG to no effect.
    Have run the repair programmes available, 'Samsung Doctor' and what appears is that it cant find or renew my IP address.

Don't have any great experience of firewalls but understand the principals.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Particularly when you install the larger antenna- but equally at present- try to make sure the wireless router is as far from masonry walls as possible.

Ok I got the stuff in the post today. The 2 new antennas made no difference whatsoever :( . I'm thinking that the power coming out of the Eircom router itself is so low that it's own small antennas were good enough for it. Perhaps I'd only see a benefit for the large ones if the router had more power. Any ideas were I could get new firmware that you were talking about that would boost the power output? I don't know the make or model, it's just the silver Eircom one with 2 antennas.

The wireless laptop mouse I got with them is great though.

Ok I got the stuff in the post today. The 2 new antennas made no difference whatsoever :( . I'm thinking that the power coming out of the Eircom router itself is so low that it's own small antennas were good enough for it. Perhaps I'd only see a benefit for the large ones if the router had more power. Any ideas were I could get new firmware that you were talking about that would boost the power output? I don't know the make or model, it's just the silver Eircom one with 2 antennas.

The wireless laptop mouse I got with them is great though.

Hi Blade,

Sorry the new antenna didn't help matters.
    I am not aware that you can upgrade the firmware of the Eircom Netopia router- its not like the Linksys etc.
    You can upgrade the wireless card in the NC10- but your wireless router isn't the best. I'd really recommend getting a reliable wireless router- such as suggested above- rather than going down the upgrading the wireless card in the NC10. I'm not familiar with recent Eircom routers- I dumped Eircom years ago- and haven't looked back!

Problems with Eircom wireless routers have been discussed previously on boards such as here where the advice was to buy an external USB adaptor for the laptop/desktop- that has better reception than the pre-existing card. Personally- I wouldn't go down this road- I'd be far more inclined to get a new router.......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Yeh, looks like I'll just have to get a decent router. I'm really surprised though that these antennas made no difference at all, they're like over a foot long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

Blade I can sell you a brand new router nice price very cheap good quality best quality router L@@K WOW!

Pm sent.

Overblood wrote: »
    Blade I can sell you a brand new router nice price very cheap good quality best quality router L@@K WOW!

Pm sent.

My Eircom router is probably more powerful than your wireless G according to your link: http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/WirelessGRouters/DG834G.aspx

My Eircom router is probably more powerful than your wireless G according to your link: http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/WirelessGRouters/DG834G.aspx

Just buy a regular wireless N router with MIMO and take an output from the Netopia to feed it. You'll get double the throughput, and lesser dead spots.

Just spotted Argos have a few of these instock around the country for €329, but with the 2 cell battery.

Item No.: 508/2061

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

JustinOval wrote: »
    Just spotted Argos have a few of these instock around the country for €329, but with the 2 cell battery.

Item No.: 508/2061

Good find! How do you know it's the 2 cell battery?

• Advertisement

benifa wrote: »
    Good find! How do you know it's the 2 cell battery?

Battery is quoted as three hours as opposed to seven on the €369 models.

JustinOval wrote: »
    Battery is quoted as three hours as opposed to seven on the €369 models.

How sneaky! Thanks for the heads up.

My Dad's over from England at the minute. We bought him an NC10 from Newry just after Christmas. I put Vista on it at the time.

Anyway, he's been complaining it's running slowly, freezing and giving popups. This is Dad's first computer and I'm sure it's full of spyware, plus - Vista - meh.

So I saved his docs on a USB and install a recently downloaded (from MS) Windows 7 RC1 32-bit and completed a fresh install.

Installed all the drivers from the Samsung website, everything seems working - except the trackpad. Well, I think it's the trackpad, I'm not really sure. The problem is, the cursor freezes and won't unfreeze. The computer doesn't feeeze. Using the keys, Alt-Tab etc. - no problem. Typing - no problem. It's just the ruddy cursor! Have to restart anyway and then it's ok again.

So, what could be wrong? Hardware issue with the trackpad? Driver problem? Dad says this used to happen when Vista was on there, but not as frequently (now, with Windows 7, it's usually about 1-2 minutes after booting up).

I'd love any thoughts on this. Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

I put Vista on it at the time.

Sorry about the trackpad but just curious why you put Vista and why not leave XP on it??

To be quite honest- the laptop was never designed to run either Vista or Windows 7- and while happy enough with XP did benefit from the addition of extra memory.

I genuinely think you would benefit massively from rolling back to XP- or even trying Samsungs customised NC10-ubuntu (if your dad is willing to try Linux).

Given that the trackpad does work initially- and its only after a period of time that it freezes- this sounds to all intensive purposes like a possible overheating problem. If you're running Vista or Windows 7- its not wholly surprising that you may be experiencing an overheating issue- the normal sustained load for the Atom processor was never intended to be the workout either of these operating systems give it.

You will get Vista or Windows 7 working on this platform- but given the tiny footprint of the machine- its not entirely surprising that it is having the current problem.

Something you could possibly think about- one of those laptop rests- which raises the laptop at an angle to try to maximise airflow to the components?

S.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭zeusnero

I'm another one that bought the NC10 going on the recommendations of posters in this thread so thanks for the great advice everyone :)

Have a small issue with the NC10 in that when the battery is removed it's not balanced and makes typing a pain - So I pretty much just keep the battery in all the time (which I know isn't doing its life expectancy any favours).

Just wondering if anybody has bought a second battery and from where/ for how much?

Just use it on battery power and charge when needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭davemie

zeusnero wrote: »
    Just wondering if anybody has bought a second battery and from where/ for how much?

Deal Extreme sell them for around 36 euro including delivery. But this is more then likely not an original Samsung battery. I didn't get one myself as I just charge when needed and try my best not to left it plugged in when fully charged.

http://www2.dealextreme.com/forums/forums.dx/forum.22496

My Dad's over from England at the minute. We bought him an NC10 from Newry just after Christmas. I put Vista on it at the time.

Anyway, he's been complaining it's running slowly, freezing and giving popups. This is Dad's first computer and I'm sure it's full of spyware, plus - Vista - meh.

So I saved his docs on a USB and install a recently downloaded (from MS) Windows 7 RC1 32-bit and completed a fresh install.

Installed all the drivers from the Samsung website, everything seems working - except the trackpad. Well, I think it's the trackpad, I'm not really sure. The problem is, the cursor freezes and won't unfreeze. The computer doesn't feeeze. Using the keys, Alt-Tab etc. - no problem. Typing - no problem. It's just the ruddy cursor! Have to restart anyway and then it's ok again.

So, what could be wrong? Hardware issue with the trackpad? Driver problem? Dad says this used to happen when Vista was on there, but not as frequently (now, with Windows 7, it's usually about 1-2 minutes after booting up).

I'd love any thoughts on this. Cheers!

Thanks lads for the replies so far.

Just an update:

Plugging in a cheap USB mouse works fine. The cursor is unfrozen and works fine (with the mouse). At this time, the trackpad continues to be unresponsive. Give it 5 minutes (with or without the USB mouse plugged in), and the trackpad starts working again.

So I think it's either..

1. The trackpad (hardware) is on it's way out?
    2. A driver problem?
    3. A dirty trackpad? (I'm going to give it a good clean now).

I'm not sure it's anything to do with overheating, as the problem occurs usually about 5 minutes after switch on (from cold), and the NC10 is really quite cold.

Will try a few things and report back! Thanks again chaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Just an update:

Plugging in a cheap USB mouse works fine. The cursor is unfrozen and works fine (with the mouse). At this time, the trackpad continues to be unresponsive. Give it 5 minutes (with or without the USB mouse plugged in), and the trackpad starts working again.

So I think it's either..

2. A driver problem?

I'm not sure it's anything to do with overheating, as the problem occurs usually about 5 minutes after switch on (from cold), and the NC10 is really quite cold.

Sent it back to Samsung mate. My speakers went on mine, rang Samsung who sent me out a pre paid UPS box. Sent if off and got it back fixed for free within a week. It would actually be quicker for your dad because the Repair Company is in the UK.

cpu-dude wrote: »
    Sent it back to Samsung mate. My speakers went on mine, rang Samsung who sent me out a pre paid UPS box. Sent if off and got it back fixed for free within a week. It would actually be quicker for your dad because the Repair Company is in the UK.

Thanks.. might have to do this. Would we have to put XP back on it though? Does it void your warranty on the laptop by putting a different OS on it?

Bump.

Sorry about the trackpad but just curious why you put Vista and why not leave XP on it??

Greenman wrote: »
    Bump.

I suppose because my Dad's never used a computer before, and ultimately Windows 7 will be put on his laptop, so I thought introduce him to computers with Vista and then the transition to Windows 7 will be much easier (as opposed to XP to 7 which might be more confusing for him).

Incidentally, I also put 2gb ram in for him, back at xmas time.

I suppose because my Dad's never used a computer before, and ultimately Windows 7 will be put on his laptop, so I thought introduce him to computers with Vista and then the transition to Windows 7 will be much easier (as opposed to XP to 7 which might be more confusing for him).

Incidentally, I also put 2gb ram in for him, back at xmas time.

Thanks for that.

Have XP on my big Toshiba plus its on my NC 10 and love it.

The son has Vista and I hate it.

I put in the 2GIG memory not sure of the effect.

Finally you sound like a good son to your dad, hope my son turns out well.

Greetings from sunny Morocco.

Bless you - thanks Greenman!

Regards from very rainy Waterford!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Laxie

Hi all. We're looking to get the pink version for our daughter and I'm just curious...is there any difference in these apart from price?

http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfullat.asp?productcode=ECE1691330#spec

http://www.dabs.ie/products/samsung-nc10-pink-atom-n270-1gb-160gb-xp-home-10-2-w-5FDV.html?q=samsung%20nc10

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Elara: Kin

Laxie wrote: »
    Hi all. We're looking to get the pink version for our daughter and I'm just curious...is there any difference in these apart from price?

http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfullat.asp?productcode=ECE1691330#spec

http://www.dabs.ie/products/samsung-nc10-pink-atom-n270-1gb-160gb-xp-home-10-2-w-5FDV.html?q=samsung%20nc10

Cheers!

They are the same, our Pinks are just on special. :)

Excellent stuff...cheers! Does it come with a power adapter or do we need to purchase that separately?

Excellent stuff...cheers! Does it come with a power adapter or do we need to purchase that separately?

It comes with the power adapter...

Sold! lol Thanks for getting back to me so fast. :)

Sold! lol Thanks for getting back to me so fast. :)

No problem.... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Thanks.. might have to do this. Would we have to put XP back on it though? Does it void your warranty on the laptop by putting a different OS on it?
    Yeah I had to do that myself, and just as I was nicely comfortable with Windows 7 and my apps installed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

Just read the entire thread (took me all morning) :) and I am now left with a few questions.

Sleeves
    Do they have a place for the Power Adapter?
    Do they have any other compartments for cables, usb sticks / misc items ?

Mouse
    There are two types (radio and bluetooth) - is this correct?
    Is bluetooth harder on battery than radio? (might be preferable to have bt disabled as a power saving option as I do not use it for anything)

Memory
    Upgrading to 2GB so I am left with a homeless 1GB module. Is there anywhere I can sell/dispose of this ? (seems such a waste to put in in a drawer), I dont care about the money, just dont want to see it go to such waste.

Many thanks

1. Sleeves- the sleeve the NC10 comes with is pretty useless and is more an afterthought on the part of Samsung than anything else. You will need to buy a new sleeve- if you intend on lugging the NC10 around with you and want to keep it safe. The Samsung sleeve is a thin cotton cloth sleeve with no pockets. You can pick up a decent neopreme sleeve on ebay cheaply.

2. Mouse- there are actually 3 types of mouse- you forgot about a wired USB mouse. The NC10 has a very responsive trackpad- a mouse isn't really necessary at all. A wired USB mouse will only consume power when in use- if you do really want a mouse....... I wouldn't bother with a wireless mouse- but thats me.

3. Memory- pop up the spare 1Gb stick on www.adverts.ie - you might not get a lot for it, but it would find a good home.

• Advertisement

Just an update:

So I think it's either..

2. A driver problem?

Yesterday morning I uninstalled the trackpad from Device Manager (and elected to delete driver / software at the same time). I restarted the NC10 and let Windows pick up the "new hardware" and install it automatically - presumably it searched for and downloaded the driver from Windows Update.

Problem solved - Dad's NC10 has been right as rain ever since. Moral of the story - don't install the trackpad driver from the Samsung website, just let Windows pick it up and install it itself.

Advertisement