Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung NC10

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭tipptop2008

So I bought my NC 10. Got home, put battery and started charging it. Turned the computer on and it starts up. Then the screen goes black with a box saying Factory Preinstallatoin and says it starting Plug & Play and a few other things. After a few mins of this it states that the systmen is not fully installed. Please run set up again. Then I click ok and it just restarts my computer and goes into the same process again. I don't know a whole pile about computers but I surely haven't done anything wrong with it already????

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Sounds like a bad image on the hard-drive. Its a DOA- send it back immediately for replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭tipptop2008

Cheers rang them there so its heading back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

smccarrick wrote: »
    Samsungs customised NC10-ubuntu (if your dad is willing to try Linux).

Where would I get this? (is it this you're talking about? edit: or the netbook remix?) I am close to buying a netbook (after much flaffing around and waiting for HD res screens to no avail...the 750 is underpowered for the higher res IMO, anyway....) and I'll just be sticking some flavour of linux straight on it. I was thinking crunchbang given the limited screen real estate.

Lastly....elara looks about the cheapest place to get the NC10 at the moment. Is that right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

Any idea what this error message means?

92837322.gif

I ditched VLC recently and am now using MPC for my NC10, but whenever I open a folder on an external hard drive with a large number of video files I get the error message followed by a crash. I never had this issue with VLC.

• Advertisement

Seems to be a common problem and not NC10 related.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

Thanks Khannie - downgraded to CoreAVC 1.8.0 and it works perfectly now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Just a question, why are these NC10's so goddamn hyped?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Cydoniac wrote: »

No reason, most poor quality, overpriced products get 31 pages of positive comments :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

I don't see an 81 page thread for the Eee 1000HE.

• Advertisement

Go easy ye cranks. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

It's a good laptop 'n all, but I just don't understand why it's so popular when it didn't - in my eyes - do anything new. It's near identical to the Eee 1000H which is quite a bit cheaper (£40 on Amazon, cheapest vs cheapest).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Can't fault mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

because they took the netbook format and made it better and for a netbook, you just can't fault them, samsung pretty much hit the netbook nail on the head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Baza210 wrote: »
    It's a good laptop 'n all, but I just don't understand why it's so popular when it didn't - in my eyes - do anything new. It's near identical to the Eee 1000H which is quite a bit cheaper (£40 on Amazon, cheapest vs cheapest).

Its battery life, when launched last October, was the best of any available netbook, without compromising the design by the battery sticking out, it has one of the best keyboard layouts, it looks great and it also has a great design. If you want some more information as to why, then have a look at any of the dozen or so reviews around the net singing the NC10's praises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Because it's the best piece of kit for what it is. I use mine every day. It sits on the coffee table and I power it up (have it on hibernate all the time), takes about 20 seconds and I've got a browser window (using Chrome as it's footprint is so small) open in front of me and off I go. Decent sized hard drive, great keyboard, very nice display, what more could you ask for ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Picked one up on Sunday and now have it dual booting with Windows 7 on D, anyone got any tips to keep it running smoothly?
    As mentioned earlier in this thread I plan to fit 2gigs of RAM and disable page filing (Yes?), disabled the Aero theme.. what else?

Is it worth installing any of the Samsung battery/graphics software?

I'd advise doing a thorough trawl of your startup services and disabling anything thats not necessary (perhaps have google open and make sure you don't brick the OS while you're doing it!!!). You've now got it running Windows7 on a gig of RAM- with an Atom processor- thats pretty good going. You really should up the RAM though at an early opportunity. I wouldn't disable page filing either- XP is a whole different beastie to Windows7- 2Gb of RAM is not sufficient to cover page filing in Windows7 (its fine for XP though).

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Neuro

Can anyone recommend a good (and cheap!) slip case for the NC10?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Neuro wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good (and cheap!) slip case for the NC10?

https://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15379

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Laxie

Got mine today and LOVE it!!! Where's the best place to buy nice cases for it on this side of the pond?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Laxie wrote: »
    Got mine today and LOVE it!!! Where's the best place to buy nice cases for it on this side of the pond?

http://www.gearzap.com/netbook/samsung/samsung-nc10-accessories.html

I'd go for the ones that are up to 10.2" instead of up to 12". Also I wouldn't buy anything else from them apart from the cases as the prices seem very high, but the cases are good value. Postage to Ireland is cheap 3 or 4 pounds per order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭MarthaT

Laxie wrote: »

amazon uk is always good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

got one today also. I have installed Win7 on it just now. It seems that most of the drivers/utilities that come with the device do not have Vista/Win7 software. I have managed to install easy display driver but thats all so far.

Has anyone else installed Win7 and how did you get the shipped software (such as pointing device, etc) installed on it ? or did you live without ?

I'm still settling in with mine, running driver installations under XP compatibility helps.

I need to boot into XP to see what I'm missing, I don't have the Fn + F7 and F8 keys working.

Youtube and Flash video in general is a bit disappointing, I read this is an Atom processor problem though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

JustinOval wrote: »
    I'm still settling in with mine, running driver installations under XP compatibility helps.

I need to boot into XP to see what I'm missing, I don't have the Fn + F7 and F8 keys working.

Youtube and Flash video in general is a bit disappointing, I read this is an Atom processor problem though.

EDIT: Just found this article with some helpful tips for installing NC10 drivers/utils on Win7.

what do F7 & F8 do?

KStaford wrote: »
    EDIT: Just found this article with some helpful tips for installing NC10 drivers/utils on Win7.

what do F7 & F8 do?

Nothing. ;):p

Haven't read the manual or used Xp so not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Neuro

Only $5 with free shipping! Nice one, cheers mate...

My only gripe re the NC10 is poor the speaker quality. I wonder have the later models improved??

• Advertisement

Greenman wrote: »
    My only gripe re the NC10 is poor the speaker quality. I wonder have the later models improved??

In all fairness- most people who want to listen to music or whatever- will use headphones. Very few people will use built-in speakers to listen to their music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭Ronanc1

agreed
    In all fairness- most people who want to listen to music or whatever- will use headphones. Very few people will use built-in speakers to listen to their music.

doubly agreed! i just use my headphones and its fine tho if i do want to use the speakers i find easing them into it helps, if they start on high volume playing anything they tend to squeal more i generally let em "warm up" by gradually raising the volume.

Though if it bothers you so greenman theres a guide on the sammynetbook forum on how to replace the speakers:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Greenman wrote: »
    Ronanc1 wrote: »
    agreed

doubly agreed! i just use my headphones and its fine tho if i do want to use the speakers i find easing them into it helps, if they start on high volume playing anything they tend to squeal more i generally let em "warm up" by gradually raising the volume.

Though if it bothers you so greenman theres a guide on the sammynetbook forum on how to replace the speakers:D

To be honest, and I do appreciate quality sound, I find the speakers on the NC10 to be fine. I understand that some of the other netbooks' speakers are better, however, I'm not sure what people expected from a netbook.

I also agree with the comments regarding headphones. Music is almost always better through headphones that laptop/netbook speakers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I was gonna start a new thread on this but I thought it might suit this thread.

I'm between getting a Dell Mini 10 or a NC10. They are both the same price (€330) and have similar spec. I prefer the look of the Dell and it has HDMI output but I've heard better things about the NC10. Any thoughts.

Dman001 wrote: »
    I was gonna start a new thread on this but I thought it might suit this thread.

I'm between getting a Dell Mini 10 or a NC10. They are both the same price (€330) and have similar spec. I prefer the look of the Dell and it has HDMI output but I've heard better things about the NC10. Any thoughts.

Personally I'd buy the Samsung any day over a Dell. While the Dell may have HDMI out- its still 1024 x 567 output (not 510/720/1080 i or p). The Samsung has a lovely screen (which would be most surprising if it didn't seeing as they make their own screens), while the Dell has a cheap piece of Chinese crap in it.

Do check to be sure they do in fact have the same processor too by the way- most the of the Dell Mini 10s shipped with Atom Z520 chips (1.33 Ghz) while the NC10s were the comparatively zippier Atom N270 chips (1.6Ghz).

The build quality of the NC10 is far superior to the Mini 10.........

(I really should be on commission from Samsung........)

Samsung it is then. Thanks.

• Advertisement

They are both the same price (€330) and have similar spec.

When you mention 330 I'm thinking that you might be looking at the NC10 with a 3 hour battery, I think Argos was doing those for 330, make sure you get one with the 6 hour battery, they are usually upwards of 350.

Ya it is the one in Argos. The 3 Hour might do me for the time being. The Dell had the same battery life aswell.

Ya it is the one in Argos. The 3 Hour might do me for the time being. The Dell had the same battery life aswell.

For an extra 30 euro you can get the 6 hour online at Powercity, I think you're crazy to go for the 3 hour. With heavy usage you might not even get 3 hours then as the battery ages you'll get less and less.

Blade wrote: »
    For an extra 30 euro you can get the 6 hour online at Powercity, I think you're crazy to go for the 3 hour. With heavy usage you might not even get 3 hours then as the battery ages you'll get less and less.
    I see I can get a six cell battery on DealExtreme for about €35 delivered so it will still work out at the same price if I buy a six cell battery seperate and I'll have an extra battery to spare too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭meathman0

I see I can get a six cell battery on DealExtreme for about €35 delivered so it will still work out at the same price if I buy a six cell battery seperate and I'll have an extra battery to spare too.[/quote

The battery from deal extreme is a 9 cell battery,supposed to give over 10 hours,I'm thinking of getting one as the nc10 from Argos only lasts about 2 hours.

• Advertisement

meathman0 wrote: »
    The battery from deal extreme is a 9 cell battery,supposed to give over 10 hours,

The 9 cell delivered for 35 Eurons?? That's cheap!

The 9 cell delivered for 35 Eurons?? That's cheap!

I'll have one LOL:):p;)

I see I can get a six cell battery on DealExtreme for about €35 delivered so it will still work out at the same price if I buy a six cell battery seperate and I'll have an extra battery to spare too.

;)

Argos price is negotiable I reckon, they have advertised it with free 3 broadband which isn't available in Ireland.

;)

Argos price is negotiable I reckon, they have advertised it with free 3 broadband which isn't available in Ireland.

Just because it was advertised with a broadband bundle- does not imply that they are negotiable on price. On the contrary- Argos are typically one of the more expensive retailors, and I've yet to hear anyone, anywhere, ever document their price negotiations with them. DID Electrical will negotiate on price- as will some other retailors- but in general for the best prices- go online.

;)

I brought one in Argos last week and when the three stick was not in it I went back,the offer when they checked was only in the UK and was a misprint in the Irish catalog,they offered me my money back or something free,I got a €25 voucher,but i reckon this oversight has been sorted.

meathman0 wrote: »
    I brought one in Argos last week and when the three stick was not in it I went back,the offer when they checked was only in the UK and was a misprint in the Irish catalog,they offered me my money back or something free,I got a €25 voucher,but i reckon this oversight has been sorted.

I'm not so sure, there are pallets full of catalogues out there with this mistake.

Just because it was advertised with a broadband bundle- does not imply that they are negotiable on price. On the contrary- Argos are typically one of the more expensive retailors, and I've yet to hear anyone, anywhere, ever document their price negotiations with them. DID Electrical will negotiate on price- as will some other retailors- but in general for the best prices- go online.

What proof do you want? Will a receipt do?

EDIT: OK - I get you now, mine was negotiated after the sale.

I'm not so sure, there are pallets full of catalogues out there with this mistake.

Thats true,but they will probably tell you at the till before you purchase it,I don't think it mentions the offer on the Irish Argos site.

• Advertisement
Advertisement