Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung NC10

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭tonymahoney

meathman0 wrote: »
    :D

Well then,their loss is our gain

Apart from aforementioned Argos - anyone know where the cheapest and best place is to buy the NC10 - who is the best hassle free supplier or should I say if there is a problem will give you no hassle if it needs returning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭meathman0

Apart from aforementioned Argos - anyone know where the cheapest and best place is to buy the NC10 - who is the best hassle free supplier or should I say if there is a problem will give you no hassle if it needs returning

Elera have been mentioned a lot on this forum,but from some of the posts I've read,if you have a problem after the 30 days,you contact Samsung and it goes back to them and they arrange pick up and delivery back to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

So I bought the Nc10 in Argos. I thought it would be best to buy it there rather than online incase I had problems with it, all I have to do is go back to Argos with it. Very happy with it so far. Installed the Sky Player on to it and it works well and I'm gonna install OpenOffice too, saves me buying MS Office.

Any other recommended downloads for it? I'm using IE at the moment and I heard Chrome is the best browser for a Netbook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

I use Firefox with the adblock add-on to save valuable screen space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Going to pick up the NC10 in Argos today for my girlfriend, anyone know if it comes in any other colour than black?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Going to pick up the NC10 in Argos today for my girlfriend, anyone know if it comes in any other colour than black?

Not sure if Argos sell it in other colours - you can get it in white, blue and pink elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭darcy.jonny

have to say ive had an obsession with notbooks and palmtops for a while and have had the aul eeepc 4g and the vaio ux series but this nc10 im on here i got last week is a pure gem of a machine altogeher !!!

ran windows 7 updater program and passed without a glitch

real real good machine well worth the cash i paid 329 in argos (did have the whole confussion over the three mobile stick as well though )

but i bought the g/f one as well because it was that good .

have installed ccleaner
    avg free 8.5 (i hate free trials from mcafee and think there crap )
    nokia pc suite ( the bluetooth on the laptop works fantastic )
    dvd video soft for savin youtube videos and putting them on my phone \
    limewire
    7 zip
    google earth
    open office (better than paying a small fortune for microsoft )
    cam studio
    firefox
    updated windows explorer to 8 media player to 11 and updated the drivers ........... i ran google earth , limewire , windows messenger , and cam studio all at the same time and explorer and the machine just plowed on ......... the viao ux would normally give in and sit frozen for a good while if i tried that .

Elara had (has?) a great deal on pink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

JustinOval wrote: »
    Elara had (has?) a great deal on pink.

Link?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Elara: Kin

Link?

No, Pink.

http://elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE1691330

Sorry, there was a better price recently but it has gone back up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭tipptop2008

Just wondering what type of cable you need to connect this netbook to a TV? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Just wondering what type of cable you need to connect this netbook to a TV? Thanks
    It only has a VGA out so you will need a TV with VGA input or else one these cables:

1to4.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

It really depends on your TV. You have VGA and Audio out from the laptop. Maplins have a range of connectors that can convert this to whatever your TV will accept. Its entirely possible your TV may take a straight VGA connection- go explore what its inputs are.

cpu-dude wrote: »
    It only has a VGA out so you will need a TV with VGA input or else one these cables:

1to4.jpg

You can also get a scart connection which you'd make up the connections on from a VGA to composite cable and an audio LR splitter cable. Its not elegant- but it works.

• Advertisement

smccarrick wrote: »
    You can also get a scart connection which you'd make up the connections on from a VGA to composite cable and an audio LR splitter cable. Its not elegant- but it works.
    Definately not, especially not HDMI elegant :-)

hama_scart_to_vga.jpg

cpu-dude wrote: »
    Definately not, especially not HDMI elegant :-)

hama_scart_to_vga.jpg

12-15 years of technology advancement there! :D
    Who knows- perhaps his TV has a straight VGA input socket- lots do.

smccarrick wrote: »
    12-15 years of technology advancement there! :D
    Who knows- perhaps his TV has a straight VGA input socket- lots do.
    Such a thing couldn't be possible?

EDIT: Holy dear Google it's true!? :-P

24-116-400-12.jpg

I think I'll have to buy the 9 cell battery from DX as it is frustrating constantly charging this.

Have any of ye had any bother with the DX NC10 battery. What is the max amount of time you got out of the battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Dman001 wrote: »
    I think I'll have to buy the 9 cell battery from DX as it is frustrating constantly charging this.

Have any of ye had any bother with the DX NC10 battery. What is the max amount of time you got out of the battery.

They tend to degrade quite quickly. THe nc10 has a great battery life out of the box though, how long do you get out of each charge?

• Advertisement

About 3 hours of surfing the web and watching a few videos online. The battery I have is a 3 cell battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

About 3 hours of surfing the web and watching a few videos online. The battery I have is a 3 cell battery.

I'd recommend you try source an official Samsung 6 cell battery. A lot of users are able to get about 6 hours while browsing over Wi-Fi.

I'd get more time out of the 9 cell from DX and it would probably work out the same price rather than buying an official Samsung one.

I get roughly two hours doing the same, running Windows 7 if that makes any difference.

I get roughly two hours doing the same, running Windows 7 if that makes any difference.
    Is that with a 3 cell battery?

I notice that when playing a video in fullscreen on the laptop the screen slightly flickers in the middle of the screen. Could this be due to the resolution of the video?

I notice that when playing a video in fullscreen on the laptop the screen slightly flickers in the middle of the screen. Could this be due to the resolution of the video?

What type of video are you playing? I haven't noticed any flicker when watching video on my NC10; I generally use either MPC HC or PowerDVD.

It is an MP4 video, downloaded from iTunes. It isn't really a flicker but more of a jitter.

Edit:I just played a video on the RTE Player in fullscreen and it played okay. I also noticed that when I turn on the laptop and Windows is loading, the screen goes black for a second or two.

My 9-cell Dealextreme battery just arrived, it's bigger and heavier than I expected, even afters seeing pics of one installed.

I'll see how it goes over the next few days and compare it to the (Argos) 3-cell which is only lasting me a shade over two hours.

My 9-cell Dealextreme battery just arrived, it's bigger and heavier than I expected, even afters seeing pics of one installed.

I'll see how it goes over the next few days and compare it to the (Argos) 3-cell which is only lasting me a shade over two hours.

Hi Justin,I was thinking of ordering the 9 cell from Deal extreme,can you give an update in a day or so on the battery and if possible post a photo of the NC10 with the battery,i heard it raises the back of the lap top up a bit.Thanks.

• Advertisement

How's this?

http://www.umpcfever.com/news/?postid=1841

I have just charged it up for the first time and it's giving me an estimate of a little over 8 hours. :D

How's this?

I have just charged it up for the first time and it's giving me an estimate of a little over 8 hours. :D

Thanks Justin,pretty good site,plenty of info on the battery,keep us updated on how you get on with the battery life...

Man that 9 cell battery adds alot of bulk.

Man that 9 cell battery adds alot of bulk.

It does, but I'm showing 10 1/2 hours now at 94%. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭ronano

What battery should you be getting on nc10 6 cell on lowest brightness roughly?

I seem to not be getting above 5 hours?

Bluetooth disabled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

i get about 8hrs 10mins estimated on a fully charged 6cell battery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

How's this?

Looks very interesting, keep us posted. What was the total cost?

Greenman wrote: »
    Looks very interesting, keep us posted. What was the total cost?

$51.25

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.22496

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Just a note on these, I bought one a few months ago from deal extreme.
    Yes the battery life is about 8 hours, but the battery died after a couple of months useage and am back to the standard battery now.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Supercell wrote: »
    but the battery died after a couple of months useage and am back to the standard battery now.

Thanks for that, I wonder were you just unlucky or did you read anything else on it???

It is an MP4 video, downloaded from iTunes. It isn't really a flicker but more of a jitter.

Edit:I just played a video on the RTE Player in fullscreen and it played okay. I also noticed that when I turn on the laptop and Windows is loading, the screen goes black for a second or two.
    Anyone else get this with MP4 videos? I ripped a few DVDs and converted them to MP4 and it still has this problem. But when I watch a WMV video in fullscreen it plays perfectly.

Anyone else get this with MP4 videos? I ripped a few DVDs and converted them to MP4 and it still has this problem. But when I watch a WMV video in fullscreen it plays perfectly.

Are you referring to H.264/AVC encoded files? If you are, then decoding of this format can be quite processor intensive. Do you know what your CPU usage is while playing these files?

Rsaeire wrote: »
    Are you referring to H.264/AVC encoded files? If you are, then decoding of this format can be quite processor intensive. Do you know what your CPU usage is while playing these files?
    Yeah they are H.264. I don't mind if it is the videos that are the problem, just as long as it isn't my screen. Can anyone recommend what settings to use when encoding videos using Handbrake.

Edit:
    I'm reading from Task Manager that the videos use about 55-60% CPU usage.

Yeah they are H.264. I don't mind if it is the videos that are the problem, just as long as it isn't my screen. Can anyone recommend what settings to use when encoding videos using Handbrake.

Edit:
    I'm reading from Task Manager that the videos use about 55-60% CPU usage.

If you're not using this already, I would highly recommend downloading CoreAVC. You can try it out for free for 14 days, however, after that time it is $14.95. Depending on the bitrate, CoreAVC should be able to provide stutter-free video playback of the files you mentioned.

I don't encode videos, so unfortunately I can't assist you with any recommended settings for Handbrake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭none

Ya it is the one in Argos. The 3 Hour might do me for the time being. The Dell had the same battery life aswell.

Any idea what is the model number sold in Argos? It's not NP-NC10-KA02UK or NP-NC10-KB02UK as they have 6 cell battery. What are the other differences except for a weaker battery? What is the screen size? Is it non-glare? Does it have Bluetooth? No built-in 3G, I suppose.

none wrote: »
    Any idea what is the model number sold in Argos? It's not NP-NC10-KA02UK or NP-NC10-KB02UK as they have 6 cell battery. What are the other differences except for a weaker battery? What is the screen size? Is it non-glare? Does it have Bluetooth? No built-in 3G, I suppose.
    It's the NP-KA06UK.

Thanks Rsaeire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

daft question people but I'm not home to help and I dont have a nc10 but...

is there a button to turn on/off the wifi? and if so, where exactly is it placed?

family at home cant get it working :/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Try FN and F9 together

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

kaimera wrote: »
    daft question people but I'm not home to help and I dont have a nc10 but...

is there a button to turn on/off the wifi? and if so, where exactly is it placed?

family at home cant get it working :/

Go to start>All Programs>Samsung(right at the top)>Magic Keyboard>Magic Keyboard and open that,Make sure it's definitely running and then press FN and F9,Should work?

• Advertisement
Advertisement