Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung NC10

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

ok, thanks guys; I'll have them check after the picnic :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Hi guys, just wondered into this forum. Was thinking of getting this laptop for my girlfriend. She needs something light that can be used for basic word processing/Excel stuff and browsing the internet. Anyone give me some cliff notes on this thread?! Good laptop for these purposes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Hi guys, just wondered into this forum. Was thinking of getting this laptop for my girlfriend. She needs something light that can be used for basic word processing/Excel stuff and browsing the internet. Anyone give me some cliff notes on this thread?! Good laptop for these purposes?

While it's a great netbook, just be sure your girlfriend can work on a display of 10.2", as some people find it too small. I have an NC10 and love it. I use it for Internet browsing, Microsoft office, watching movies, Photoshop, etc. It does everything I could ask of from a laptop, even though it's much smaller and less powerful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

The NC10 is discontinued. The N130/ N140 are the replacements. I bought the N140 last week from elara.ie.
    Its a great machine with long lasting battery and bluetooth.

Its HERE for €369

Rsaeire wrote: »
    While it's a great netbook, just be sure your girlfriend can work on a display of 10.2", as some people find it too small. I have an NC10 and love it. I use it for Internet browsing, Microsoft office, watching movies, Photoshop, etc. It does everything I could ask of from a laptop, even though it's much smaller and less powerful.

Thanks for the reply. She really wants something small so I think she'll be fine with the display. I just noticed that it has no optical drive! Is that not a huge pain in the ass? Can you buy an external drive to play/burn CDs/DVDs and roughly how much would it cost for a mid-range device?

The NC10 is discontinued. The N130/ N140 are the replacements. I bought the N140 last week from elara.ie.
    Its a great machine with long lasting battery and bluetooth.

Its HERE for €369

They seem to be for sale on komplett. http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=424286

It doesn't specify which battery though.

EDIT: Just to say that the budget is actually about €500 -€600 but there doesn't seem to be any options to upgrade anywhere. Is this because it's so small that there simply isn't space?

Thanks for the reply. She really wants something small so I think she'll be fine with the display. I just noticed that it has no optical drive! Is that not a huge pain in the ass? Can you buy an external drive to play/burn CDs/DVDs and roughly how much would it cost for a mid-range device?

I don't have the need for one mysefl
    Theres this one for under €55

What's the story with the N120. This one can be upgraded to 2gb:

http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/Samsung_N120_Netbook_in_Black_NP-N120-KA03UK/version.asp?PID=1362

Thoughts?

I bought the LG GSA-E50L/GP08LU10 external DVD re-writer last Christmas and find it great. It matches the black NC10 very nicely too and is €64.50. You can find this, and other portable DVD re-writers, from Elara.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I have the same external DVD laddie, works fine but uses two usb ports from what i recall

Bambi wrote: »
    I have the same external DVD laddie, works fine but uses two usb ports from what i recall

You have the LG GSA-E50L? It may require the use of two USB ports on other netbooks or laptops, but I've only ever needed to use one USB port when playing or writing DVDs.

The n140 is upgradable to 2gb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

2GB upgrade on my NC10 didnt make much difference really .Only took 1-2 seconds max off a 90 second + benchmark test...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

ytareh wrote: »
    2GB upgrade on my NC10 didnt make much difference really ...

With you on that!!!

ytareh wrote: »
    2GB upgrade on my NC10 didnt make much difference really .Only took 1-2 seconds max off a 90 second + benchmark test...
    Greenman wrote: »
    With you on that!!!

Adding additional ram to your computer allows it to better cope with more open applications and/or memory intensive applications, e.g. Photoshop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭none

OK, here's my NC10 story - I finally got it from the fourth attempt:)

After reading numerous positive feedback on the Internet, I felt I was hooked. But because of my specific requirement, my buying process went a bit longer than expected.

I needed a model with built-in 3G but it wasn't easy to find one. The UK/Ireland model HAZ1UK was constantly out of stock on both elara and laptopsdirect so I had to look for it elsewhere.

First I bought it on eBay from an Irish seller - it turned out it was wrongly advertised as having 3G while in fact it didn't so I returned it (KA02UK). Lost more than a tenner. Then I went to Laptopsdirect.ie and ordered it there because it suddenly showed in stock. Waited for almost 2 weeks before cancelling it - bastards advertise something as in stock while in fact there's nothing. Again, lost more than a tenner. Then I turned back to eBay and "bought" one in Italy. Waited more than a week before being told the item doesn't actually exist. Tough luck but I didn't despair and kept trawling eBay and finally I got it from Germany (~EUR415).

That's how hard it can be to buy a non-standard configuration :cool:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Feck- you'd get a used Panasonic CF19 with 3G on ebay for less.......?
    Seems very pricey if you don't mind me saying so (esp as its EOL)......

smccarrick wrote: »
    Feck- you'd get a used Panasonic CF19 with 3G on ebay for less.......?
    Seems very pricey if you don't mind me saying so (esp as its EOL)......
    End of Line? You guess its successors will be as good and will last as long? I somehow doubt it.
    Never heard about that CF19, probably because it's not what I need. I needed a lightweight and long-lasting netbook with good interface options and reputation.
    Don't know why HSDPA model costs more than a hundred more but that's the same everywhere. Check elara, for example. But for me having a built-in modem was a requirement.

• Advertisement

none wrote: »
    End of Line? You guess its successors will be as good and will last as long? I somehow doubt it.
    Never heard about that CF19, probably because it's not what I need. I needed a lightweight and long-lasting netbook with good interface options and reputation.
    Don't know why HSDPA model costs more than a hundred more but that's the same everywhere. Check elara, for example. But for me having a built-in modem was a requirement.

The reason its 100 more- is they didn't do the pinout on the circuit board as standard for the extra mini-pci-e slot, it was done as special order.

The NC20 (replacement for the NC10) is a worthy successor- but the netbook market has fragmented- with the advent of the likes of the SU9400 processor- which is actually giving an effective 10 hours usage to some systems. Portability and build quality are of course paramount- but as has been discovered by many people- the size of netbooks, simply isn't good enough. The 3/4 size keyboard- is fine- if you don't actually need to type (or if you hump a fullsize USB keyboard around with you as well)- but its not feasible for everyday use.

I suppose it all boils down to- do people expect to use a netbook in the same way as they do a laptop? Most people do in practice- and while their netbooks tick so many boxes that coventional laptops do not, some fundamental boxes have become unticked- one principle one, being in the usability stakes.

Don't get me wrong- the NC10 (and its successor the NC20) are incredible pieces of technology- well designed, sturdy and superior to their competitors- but if you're planning on using it on a daily basis as a workhorse- I'd be hesitant.........

I think it's all about finding its niche. Netbooks' one is for people on the go and they sacrifice some usability for extra portability. I don't expect doing a lot of work on it on a daily basis and enjoying it. Doing a little work and enjoying it - yes, but not abusing it, of course. In the office and at home I have full-sized computers and that's where you do most of work and typing. Netbooks come into play when and where you need mobility and I think they do it nicely. NC20 is actually a bit bigger so it's not as portable and, IMO, not a real netbook. As successors to NC10 I meant NC110-140.

We went the other direction altogether with an Acer 5810T- the 9 hour battery life was what did it for us.......

I've been with netbooks since the beginning (with the original Asus with the 7" screen)- onwards with the larger Asus, and then the Samsung NC10. The Samsung build quality was superior to anything else on the market- but I did actually end up with a fullsize keyboard in my bag- just in case I needed to type something (I've got big fingers :( )

The point I was making is that most people do not diffrentiate between netbooks and laptops- its not appreciated that its viewed as a 'niche' market- and in practice, it has largely supplanted the laptop market- with a direct correlation between increases in sales of netbooks, and a corresponding collapse in market share of mainstream laptops (which are still vastly outselling conventional desktops- according the most recent Gartner research).

I think that many people who purchase a netbook (be it a Samsung or another product) will subsequently go on to scale up to a full sized laptop category- possibly focusing on that one or two specifications that drew them to the netbook in the first instance- be it battery life, weight, portability- or the manner in which the processor can run whatever it is you need it to run.

A big turn-off for me was incredibly poor multitasking performance from the Atom range- somewhat addressed in the most recent ULV processors- but still not exactly where we need it to be........

At the end of the day- what do you want/need your laptop or netbook to do- and how can you trade-off performance against other wishes?

For me it was actually downsizing rather than upsizing;) I normally have a big DTR laptop at home (currently Vaio VGN-AW11Z) and I needed a netbook specifically for this - accessing the (Inter)net outside of home. That's why built-in HSDPA was a must for me because, honestly, without being able to access the Internet away from the mains and cables is the only thing that differentiate netbooks from other computer types. You may say that "net" in the name implies that it's only suitable for using network applications rather than running heavy apps locally. For me, however, that "net" means being able to connect to the Internet anywhere which is hardly possible without a built-in 3G modem. In any case, I do plan using it for more than just browsing and email but that's only in my plans for now. I'm fully aware of the market trends and I do agree with them, largely. I don't use desktops at home since 2000 and my experience with NC10 may develop into something more serious and so there may be some additions to my netbook family at some stage. And yes, these trends apparently what's behind those 12 and 13 inch netbooks - the manufacturers know that netbooks are hot so they call it this way but they also realise that small size is an obstacle to comfortable usage so they "grow" it beyond typical limits.

The term "netbook" has become a misnomer at this stage and will only become more so the bigger and more powerful these "netbooks" become.

I for one bought the NC10 as it was smaller and more portable than my laptop and could be used in its stead when I was away from home. I use most of the same applications on it as I do on my laptop, e.g. Photoshop, Dreamweaver, however, the screen resolution is a limiting factor when trying to do anything significant or for long periods of time. While Internet browsing on the NC10 is sufficient, I would never replace my laptop with it, as the screen size, being only 10.2", is much too small for extended use.

For me, I can't see any netbook, in their current form and feature-set, replacing my laptop, but it will be interesting to see how the portable computer market changes over the next year or so and whether people embrace laptops again or go on to the next big thing; whatever that may be.

Portability is the key here, I can lug me NC10 around without a bother. If it had HDSPA then I'd have it in constant use i reckon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Supercell wrote: »
    Just a note on these, I bought one a few months ago from deal extreme.
    Yes the battery life is about 8 hours, but the battery died after a couple of months useage and am back to the standard battery now.
    I wouldn't trust any of those spurious extra long life batteries. the one I purchased for my EEE 901 lasted about two months. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Sooo, has anyone successfully replaced a keyboard on an NC10?
    I know how to do it just wondering is there any potential slip ups to look out for?
    And is there anywhere to buy a replacement keyboard apart from ebay?

Thanks. :)

I've a spare- I'll pop you a PM.

SMcCarrick

Has anyone tried dual booting the original XP install with 7?

On an NC10?
    The chipset, graphics and the Atom processor aren't the best tbh- but will suffice. You can dual boot- but you'll need to use a boot loader (Grub for example) as Win7 will overwrite your MBR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

Hey guys

I'm looking for a netbook for my daughter for christmas and have just seen the Samsung N130 on the Powercity website for €269.

Is this a good deal? Is it a decent laptop?

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Yeah, I am. Works great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Can anyone tell me is it worth getting the N140 over the N130. the only difference I see is the bluetooth. All I need it for is browsing internet, word processor and maybe watch the odd film.I am on the point of buying from elara.
    cheers.

Can anyone tell me is it worth getting the N140 over the N130. the only difference I see is the bluetooth. All I need it for is browsing internet, word processor and maybe watch the odd film.I am on the point of buying from elara.
    cheers.

N140- has a rubberised case- the N130 doesn't.
    N140 has a 6 cell battery as standard- the N130 has a choice of 3 or 6 cell.
    N140 has bluetooth as standard- N130- its an option
    N140 has an Atom N280 processor (which is actually slightly slower than the N270 the N130 has- but has a front side bus of 667Mhz, versus the 533Mhz of the N270).
    N140 has speakers with 3W output and SRS stereo- while the N130 has only mono 1 watt speakers

Its about £50 more for the N140- but you get an extended battery, stereo audio, better speakers and a rubberised chasis- seems like a better deal imho?

Thanks for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Did we pass the EEE thread yet ....?Did IT reach 100 pages?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

smccarrick wrote: »
    N140- has a rubberised case- the N130 doesn't.
    Mine doesn't :confused: just a hard plastic case, admittedly matte instead of the NC10's shiny plastic, but definitely not rubberized.
    N140 has an Atom N280 processor (which is actually slightly slower than the N270 the N130 has- but has a front side bus of 667Mhz, versus the 533Mhz of the N270).
    Mine doesn't have that either .. definitely an N270 according to CPUID. Also see http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/pc-peripherals/notebook-computers/n-series/NP-N140-KA01UK/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&tab=spec

Alun wrote: »
    Mine doesn't :confused: just a hard plastic case, admittedly matte instead of the NC10's shiny plastic, but definitely not rubberized.

Mine doesn't have that either .. definitely an N270 according to CPUID. Also see http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/pc-peripherals/notebook-computers/n-series/NP-N140-KA01UK/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&tab=spec

:confused::confused:
    I was going from the Samsung brochure......

On a related note- has anyone had a chance to play with the N510- with the nVidia ION chipset? I'd seriously recommend avoiding everything else altogether and hanging on for the nVidia chipset- its a whole other baby......

I was going to buy this from Elara, but I just checked Power City and they are cheaper! I'll be buying from them so,unless anyone know of a reason i shouldn't?

I was going to buy this from Elara, but I just checked Power City and they are cheaper! I'll be buying from them so,unless anyone know of a reason i shouldn't?

Because the Samsung N510 with the nVidia ION chipset has finally hit the shelves?

Powercity are a right shower if anything goes wrong (ditto DID)- have a look at all the threads about them in the consumers issues forum here on boards...... Personally I'd be more than willing to spend a couple of quid more- for the peace of mind of dealing with Elara......?

• Advertisement

I didn't realise that. Thanks for the warning smccarrick. I will go with Elara so. I did have a funny feeling about Power City, that's why I asked and Elara do seem to be more engaged or something. They emailed me back with any questions I had etc. and I have seen their posts on this site too which suggests they value customer satisfaction a bit more.
    Again, thanks for the heads up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭mal_1

Hi

Have a query on the NC10 which may have been addressed elsewhere haven't found it.

My screen 'at times' goes white and can only be relit when the brightness is lowered significantly or by pressing on or squeezing the monitor. This happens both when power supply is on and also when working on battery.

Is it a fault or is there a solution to this.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭Ronanc1

From what i've read online mal its something to do with a wire(could be wrong though) and the only way is to send it back for repair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Have the Nc10 for about 2 months now and it is starting to really annoy me. I dont know if it is the laptop or Windows XP but programs are constantly crashing.

I try to connect my iPod and the "Apple Mobile Device Service" crashed and so iTunes wont recognise it. I've done everyhting under the sun to try to get it to reconise but no luck. I then decided to update the Firmware on the laptop and that worked, but then iTunes wouldn't stay open and constantly crashed. Now I'm back to square one, with iTunes staying open but not recognising my iPod.

When I first boot up the computer, one of the first things it tells me is that some program has crashed. ANy thoughts. I realise that it probably is Windows XP, but I've never had all these problems on other XP laptops/computers.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Dopey

I have mine for almost a year with none of the problems you mentioned. Do you have a virus and spyware/malware checker running on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Yep. Also, when I play videos on iTunes they coonstantly flicker but when I watch them on the VLC player they play perfectly. But Im guessing thats because iTunes takes alot of power?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Hey all, i'm looking at getting a netbook. I used a Samsung NC10 about a month ago for an hour or so and really liked it.
    Will only be using it for browsing the net and watching youtube video's etc. The 6 cell battery with it's 6 hour battery life is also a very big plus.

Is the nc10 my best option? I only have about €300 to spend! And where is the best place for me to get one?

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Bryn wrote: »
    I only have about €300 to spend! And where is the best place for me to get one?

£248.75
    , delivered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

£248.75
    , delivered.

Finally getting around to ordering one, and that is out of stock :mad:

Anybody know the best place to get one at the moment? I want one with a 6cell battery, and preferably a deal that comes with a 2gig RAM!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭booyah1024

just buy the RAM separate ffs, anyone with half a brain can fit ram.

also that website kinda sucks, what type of site doesn't give you details of a product if it's out of stock. shooting themselves in the foot tbh.

Advertisement