Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung NC10

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

I have one NC10 and love it - runs Windows 7 Ultimate really well and the white case looks great.

I want to buy a second one to use for studying (current one is shared with the girlfriend). Have done a lot of searching on here and it seems the NC10 is still the best fit for what I'm looking for, but as it's end of life I'd also appreciate any latest tips on where the best prices are available. I'd be happy to pay extra for the NC110, 140 or 510 if I thought there was functionality on them I actually need but there doesn't seem to be, and a glossy screen (as the NC110 has if I'm right) would drive me nuts.

On a separate note, anyone else running Windows 7 on the NC10 have a problem where the screen keeps going dim every 30 seconds or so, regardless of what settings you have set in the Power Options menu? It's the only gripe I have at the moment and I figure it's a driver issue, not sure where's best to look for the latest drivers though as I don't think Samsung are officially supporting Windows 7 on the XP designed NC10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

booyah1024 wrote: »
    just buy the RAM separate ffs, anyone with half a brain can fit ram.

Are you thick? Did you even read my last post? I said I wanted a deal that came with 2gigs of RAM, i never said I wanted it installed. If you had seen the link to ebuyer above, it sold you the NC10 and gave you a 2GB stick of RAM a bit cheaper than it would have cost to buy it on its own. And I would like to try get the same deal somewhere else, hence my last post :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Bryn wrote: »
    Finally getting around to ordering one, and that is out of stock :mad:

Anybody know the best place to get one at the moment? I want one with a 6cell battery, and preferably a deal that comes with a 2gig RAM!

Anybody?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Elara: Kin

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it but the NC10 has been discontinued for sometime now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it but the NC10 has been discontinued for sometime now.
    So what are the definitive differences between the NC10 and the superceding models like the N140?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭none

Seems like Elara, Dabs and Laptopsdirect now have it in stock. I'd buy from Amazon but they seem to only have whites available now (and without HSDPA). I actually got mine from eBay but before that I tried several other places (including Laptopsdirect who advertised it in stock but didn't have it in fact).

These are with HSDPA (and, therefore, expensive):
    http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/asp/versions.asp?rewrite=Samsung_NC10_Netbook_in_Black_NP-NC10-HAZ1UK&pagetype=version&page=
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/samsung-nc10-hsdpa-atom-n270-1gb-160gb-xp-home-10-2--black-5DS4.html?q=Samsung%20NC10
    http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfullat.asp?productcode=ECE1687591#spec

This is white (and, therefore, also expensive)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-10-1-inch-Netbook-Processor-Battery/dp/B002SSTVBG/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1259103130&sr=1-5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

I know HDSPA might be handy but in theory, should using Bluetooth to leverage the 3G connection on my mobile work just about as well? I don't have a 3G broadband account in addition to my mobile account at the moment, but if there was 20 quid in the difference, I'd go for it, but that's a big price difference.

Tempted to go for one of the £220 'Nearly new' NC10 models listed on Amazon - any major things to watch out for when doing that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Elara: Kin

aaf wrote: »
    So what are the definitive differences between the NC10 and the superceding models like the N140?

Here they are here compared.

http://www.elara.ie/products/Compare.asp?comp1=S6985984&comp2=S7258079&comp3=S6797506&comp4=&ecomp1=ECE1808910&ecomp2=ECE1841380&ecomp3=ECE1777004&ecomp4=&using=specifications

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭none

Yes, it's a bit more expensive but it's probably due to the complexity of the motherboard or something. I personally prefer a built-in modem (even though I have 3 external USB sticks) and believe it's worth the money. BTW, not sure what cellular network you're using but it may already be enabled for mobile Internet (not only from the phone but from the computer as well). I'm using 3 for this and it's 1 month/1GB for a tenner. Sometimes they even throw in free 100MB addons so I can live online longer without topping up;)
    Regarding Amazon, if it's not sold directly by them, it may not have an Irish delivery option.

Cheers, so main differences are N140 has 250GB drive v 160GB, longer battery life and Win 7 Starter v XP and Wireless N v Wireless G. Hmm, now looking at the N510, which looks good too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

hello,

maybe this has been answered but it's a long ass thread!

my sis' nc10 (running xp) wont connect to the wifi netopia router - when brought to a store it connected fine to the wifi in the shop.

i've updated the atheros drivers to 7.6.1.210 but it hasnt helped.

google is telling me it's a crappy wifi card causing the problems.

at the minute, i'm typing on a different laptop connected via the wifi so thats not the problem.

any ideas?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Use Windows wireless management- rather than the Atheros software (which is rudimentary at best).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

smccarrick wrote: »
    Use Windows wireless management- rather than the Atheros software (which is rudimentary at best).
    when i use the windows wifi - it picks up the network, I can enter the wpa key, it tries to connect but then doesnt and it doesnt give any error.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,286 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Anyone know the cheapest place to get one of these right now? Is this the best netbook / small laptop for around €300?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭etcetc

anybody know how to to get the volume control icon back into taskbar i must of deleted it or something

bit of a pain having to go to control panel all the time and the volume control buttons on keyboard arent working

This is in PC World for 299, says 6 hour battery, does this mean its 6 cell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

etcetc wrote: »
    anybody know how to to get the volume control icon back into taskbar

Maybe System restore XP!!!!:)

etcetc wrote: »
    anybody know how to to get the volume control icon back into taskbar i must of deleted it or something
    Control Panel - Sounds and Audio Devices - Volume Tab - tick the box 'Place volume icon in the taskbar'

Well, that's how it can be done in XP. Presuming it'll be something similar in Vista, Win 7

Got one of these today, doesnt seem the fastest, did anyone reinstall XP when they got it first to get rid of some of the junk on it? Also, are the speakers a bit on the quiet side?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Got one of these today, doesnt seem the fastest, did anyone reinstall XP when they got it first to get rid of some of the junk on it? Also, are the speakers a bit on the quiet side?

Yes, I did and I recommend you do the same. The speakers are not the loudest or best quality so you'll be best off using headphones.

• Advertisement

Rsaeire wrote: »
    Yes, I did and I recommend you do the same. The speakers are not the loudest or best quality so you'll be best off using headphones.
    Any guide to doing it available online?

Did you just put the recover cd's on a usb stick?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

You don't need to do a reinstall- just use the MSCONFIG programme at a command prompt and stop any of the gunk from starting- and in control panel uninstall anything you don't need (which can include Windows components).

Windows itself has as much crapware as Samsung added (to be honest Samsung as a manufacturer are far from the worst- just look at Acer and Dell for example.......)

S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

What are the Samsungs like for dual booting? I was thinking of getting one this week. Probably not the NC10 as the line is finished but one of the newer ones.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Insurgent wrote: »
    What are the Samsungs like for dual booting? I was thinking of getting one this week. Probably not the NC10 as the line is finished but one of the newer ones.

Cheers

They're just like any other computer/laptop for dual booting really. They run ubuntu 9.10 without any issues. And Linux mint and the likes too.

Two more quick q's - did people do the even split when partitioning the hd? Ie the default setting

Also, anyone buy a decent case on the internet? The one in the box doesn't seem the strongest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭etcetc

aaf wrote: »
    Control Panel - Sounds and Audio Devices - Volume Tab - tick the box 'Place volume icon in the taskbar'

Well, that's how it can be done in XP. Presuming it'll be something similar in Vista, Win 7

tried that but get message cant be done as the volume control software has not been installed

a bit puzzling as i was able to control volume this way up on till a month ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Bump..

So I'm mighty pissed off.

Earlier this week, my Macbook's battery has been only able to run off the mains, and switches off immediately when plugged out. Tried fully discharging it (etc) - no luck! But it's almost a 3 year old Macbook that would get 2 - 3 hours use every day minimum.. so it's not suprising!

Started working on my NC10 (which I don't use nearly as much as I should) yesterday and same thing has happened to it. I think the battery stayed fully discharged for a month or two and now won't hold a charge at all.

So, 2 laptops and both with dodgy batteries!

Need to go looking for replacements.. the official replacements for the NC10 are far too expensive to consider (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Standard-Cell-Battery-NC10/dp/B001PMMU7I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&s=electronics&qid=1265418966&sr=1-1), so I might pick up a cheap one on Ebay from either a UK seller or Chinese seller (cheaper than UK, but liables to customs). These can be quite hit and miss, right? Or does anyone recommend a decent seller?

Any recommendations or tips would be appreciated.

PS - Same above goes for the Macbook battery - official ones are too expensive (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-Rechargable-Battery-13-inch-MacBook/dp/B000FQ0004/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1265419702&sr=1-1) - so sellers for cheaper alternatives here would be appreciated. But if not, I'll put in a post on the Apple forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

@basquille

7dayshop.com do a very good replacement macbook battery. I'm using it and have found to be very good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Cheers swingking.. will look into that. I think the Macbook battery is of lesser priority to the NC10 as my Macbook is for use primarily at home, whereas I found the NC10 great when travelling due to it's "amazing battery life" for watching movies etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

There's a good deal on a refurb of this machine. I'm just curious how it stacks up against current entry level netbooks like the Asus 1005HA for instance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

el dude wrote: »
    There's a good deal on a refurb of this machine. I'm just curious how it stacks up against current entry level netbooks like the Asus 1005HA for instance?

That would depend on the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

basquille wrote: »
    Bump..

So I'm mighty pissed off.

Earlier this week, my Macbook's battery has been only able to run off the mains, and switches off immediately when plugged out. Tried fully discharging it (etc) - no luck! But it's almost a 3 year old Macbook that would get 2 - 3 hours use every day minimum.. so it's not suprising!

Started working on my NC10 (which I don't use nearly as much as I should) yesterday and same thing has happened to it. I think the battery stayed fully discharged for a month or two and now won't hold a charge at all.

So, 2 laptops and both with dodgy batteries!

Need to go looking for replacements.. the official replacements for the NC10 are far too expensive to consider (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Standard-Cell-Battery-NC10/dp/B001PMMU7I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&s=electronics&qid=1265418966&sr=1-1), so I might pick up a cheap one on Ebay from either a UK seller or Chinese seller (cheaper than UK, but liables to customs). These can be quite hit and miss, right? Or does anyone recommend a decent seller?

Any recommendations or tips would be appreciated.

PS - Same above goes for the Macbook battery - official ones are too expensive (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-Rechargable-Battery-13-inch-MacBook/dp/B000FQ0004/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1265419702&sr=1-1) - so sellers for cheaper alternatives here would be appreciated. But if not, I'll put in a post on the Apple forum.

I have a Dealextreme 9-cell and it's great - no complaints having used it since September. $52 inc. del.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Anyone else having the problem with the screen on this where it keeps jumping? I rang Samsung and as my nc10 was out of warranty by about 2 months they wouldn't take it yet while my brothers nc20 was in warranty they would. They wouldn't even suggest somewhere to get it fixed so I'm going to have to look for a place now or just go out and buy a new laptop.

Its been usable for the last month or two but now its just ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Dopey

Does it stop when you adjust the brightness settings?

Try using Fn and up arrow. I had to replace the screen on my NC10 because it got broken and noticed this problem afterwards. It's pretty mild but goes away once I make the screen a little brighter.

Is it intermittent or persistent?

Brimmy wrote: »
    Anyone else having the problem with the screen on this where it keeps jumping? I rang Samsung and as my nc10 was out of warranty by about 2 months they wouldn't take it yet while my brothers nc20 was in warranty they would. They wouldn't even suggest somewhere to get it fixed so I'm going to have to look for a place now or just go out and buy a new laptop.

Its been usable for the last month or two but now its just ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭mal_1

Dopey wrote: »

Try using Fn and up arrow. I had to replace the screen on my NC10 because it got broken and noticed this problem afterwards. It's pretty mild but goes away once I make the screen a little brighter.

I had the 'same' issue and posted it here a few months ago. Screen goes white, when brightness is turned up especially when on mains power. I managed to live with it.

Have left back to be repaired with supplier, as warranty was almost up , It is suppose to be back with me (5-7days turnaround ) however, three weeks later I haven't heard from them, so cant enlighten on what the fault is..:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Dopey

mal_1 wrote: »
    I had the 'same' issue and posted it here a few months ago. Screen goes white, when brightness is turned up especially when on mains power. I managed to live with it.

Have left back to be repaired with supplier, as warranty was almost up , It is suppose to be back with me (5-7days turnaround ) however, three weeks later I haven't heard from them, so cant enlighten on what the fault is..:(

That's different to what I am experiencing. Mine is a very mild flicker which corrects itself when the brightness is adjusted.

If it needs a new screen you can get them on ebay for about €90 delivered (next day). It's pretty easy to replace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭Ronanc1

I had the same problem with mine my original idea was to "just live with it" as it used to be only present when i dialed the brightness up and i never had my nc10 screen that bright to begin with but low and behold it spread then even to when i had my screen on dim its a falty wire connection to the screen common problem on the nc10 so i finally pulled my finger out last week and called samsung to get it repaired as it was still under warranty sent if off next day and got it back five days later spanking clean and like new a very happy bunny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Ours must have been in the repair place at the same time. :D Like you I had been living with it but decided to do something before the warranty ran out. A courier picked it up on the Thursday and I had it back first thing on Tuesday morning. My only concern was that they didn't seem to want any details about the problem, I actually had to ask the customer services guy if he wanted to know what was wrong with it but don't think he took down any details and I had no contact at all with the repair company that was over in Limerick. I presume as it is a known issue they didn't need details and 'white screen' was a sufficient code word, but I would have thought they would like to have known more (like was it when I plugged it in, or was it on battery power, how often it happened, how did you get rid of it, etc.).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭Ronanc1

Could well have been pouchie could well have been, the guy i talked to on the phone immediately knew the problem when i said "nc10" and "screen" and basically confirmed what id read online, i too expected some questions but was just happy to have it collected and returned so promptly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Dopey wrote: »

It used to stop when I brightened the screen and was only previous on battery power but now it happens when it's plugged in and on full settings.

Still intermittent as well but getting worse by the day. I'm not happy with Samsung at all as I rang them with the same problem with an nc10 and nc20 at the same time and was fobbed off for the nc10 as it was out of warranty by hte month. Couldn't tell me anywhere to go to get it fixed or anything. Looks like I'll be buying a replacement screen then :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

My sister is just after buying a n110(practically the same as nc10) and it cant seem to play youtube video's smoothly at all. I always knew netbooks had trouble with HD but the video i tryed to play was only 360p(it was a good quality 360p video if that matters). surely this i'nt normal? The machine she bought is a refurb but it runs perfectly other than that. I downloaded google chrome as well and tryed it on that browser but it was'nt any smoother. Any idea's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭moonboy52

I use CoreAVC with kmplayer and most 720p's run fine (downloaded of course). Not sure about HD youtube though as i usually watch SD and if i want the HD version i download it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Am i entitled to a registered copy of XP with my NC40? i had to do a complete re installation of XP after a virus / BSOD on boot, The system systems disk dose not include XP.

This annoys me as I am using an old copy of XP pro that is prompting continuously for registration details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I seem to be having the same White Screen problems as everyone else. I purchased the laptop in Argos, so would there be hassle in returning it? I don't think they sell the NC10 anymore so will they send it off to be repaired, or give my money back?

mal_1 wrote: »

Have a look here -

http://www.sammynetbook.com/plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?32464

Mine is doing pretty regularly now too, its under warranty but I'm not sure what Argos will do... if its a case of sending off for repairs, I'll do it myself.

JustinOval wrote: »
    Have a look here -

http://www.sammynetbook.com/plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?32464

Mine is doing pretty regularly now too, its under warranty but I'm not sure what Argos will do... if its a case of sending off for repairs, I'll do it myself.
    Problem is that it probably will void the Warranty if you do it yourself.

Dman001 wrote: »
    Problem is that it probably will void the Warranty if you do it yourself.

I might have done that already adding 1gig of RAM.

JustinOval wrote: »
    I might have done that already adding 1gig of RAM.
    I don't think adding RAM voids Warranty. Sure all your doing is removing the door from under the laptop. They wouldn't even know it was open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I had to reformat my NC40 because it had a BSOD on bootup. I totally deleted the original XP op sys that came with the machine. On loading up the restore disk that came with the machine I noticed that there was no op sys on it. I have ended up installing an unauthorised copy which is constantly asking me for registration. I cannot update it beyond SP2.

I would prefer to have the original of which I feel I’m entitled to, all the service tag stickers are worn off and I have no record of its original.

Is Samsung obliged to foreword me an original copy of XP?

My last EEEPc came complete with XP and original restore all on the one disk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭Fizzical

Hey guys, any advice? Spilt orange juice on the keyboard last night, tried to clean it up as best I could and quickly but several keys no longer work. Im afraid to lift out the keys, looks kinda complicated beneath. Any ideas or do I send it to the shop?

• Advertisement
Advertisement