Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung NC10

1232425262729»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Banji

Fizzical wrote: »
    Hey guys, any advice? Spilt orange juice on the keyboard last night, tried to clean it up as best I could and quickly but several keys no longer work. Im afraid to lift out the keys, looks kinda complicated beneath. Any ideas or do I send it to the shop?

The keys clip in and out so you probably should have done that when cleaning it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Fizzical

Banji wrote: »
    The keys clip in and out so you probably should have done that when cleaning it :p

Do they? Any trick to that? Did investigate underneath them but looked very breakable...

• Registered Users Posts: 22 astaines

Hi,
    We have one of these, and it has worked fine for just over a year. Now there is something astray with the screen. When we turn it on all that is visible are series of thin coloured lines running from top to bottom of the screen. I've plugged in an external monitor, and this works fine. I've updated the graphic drivers and had no joy.
    Two things - any bright ideas - this is not the 'white screen' problem already identified on this thread.
    Second, any suggestions for a good laptop repair in Dublin, preferably North Dublin, (though we will go south, if necessary!).
    Best wishes,
    Anthony

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Hi Anthony,

First of all- by virtue of the fact that it works fine on the external monitor- the graphics chip in the NC10 is in fact fine. Thats the good news. The bad news is that there is a problem with the screen- or rather with transporting the video signal to the screen.

It sounds like there could be a fault with the ribbon cable that connects the screen to the motherboard (if the cable gets slightly scratched, this can be the issue.

Its very repairable- but at a price. A new screen is about EUR70, EUR4 for a ribbon cable- and possibly EUR 50 or 60 for labour- possibly as much as EUR130 or so all in (depending on where you go).

Can you justify spending this sort of money when it vastly exceeds the economic value of the repaired product- is a good question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭mal_1

Hi all
    I've had my NC10 stolen from my car. (sh't happens)
    It was an amazing useful machine, especially its capacity to run full blown programs such as CAD on such a small machine.

Anyway should I replace it with a new NC10 or is there something better there in a netbook to move onto.

Suggestions welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭Ronanc1

http://elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=WCENPNF210A03UK&productID=S8608579

Latest range with dual core atom n550 i'm planning on moving up to this, the dual core should be even better at handling things like CAD and you still get the portability of the netbook.

Ronanc1 wrote: »
    http://elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=WCENPNF210A03UK&productID=S8608579

Latest range with dual core atom n550 i'm planning on moving up to this, the dual core should be even better at handling things like CAD and you still get the portability of the netbook.

CAD? On a netbook? Much as I love my netbook (and I've a 10.1" android tablet too)- I'd shoot myself before I'd try to run CAD on either of them........ For anything thats not resource intensive they're fine- but CAD?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭Ronanc1

If you read Mal_1's post you'll see that hes the one that mentioned CAD on a netbook, ive no idea how resource heavy it is nor do i know anything about it I'm just commenting on a possible upgrade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭mal_1

Ronanc1 wrote: »
    If you read Mal_1's post you'll see that hes the one that mentioned CAD on a netbook, ive no idea how resource heavy it is nor do i know anything about it I'm just commenting on a possible upgrade

Apologies if I've caused a minor spat here, Been an architect I have CAd on it which is seriously handy to show builders drawings on site. Yes is slower and not practical with the 10" screen but it worked fine. Also what I found very practical is to have sketchup on the netbook which I've linked across a VGA cable to run on clients TVs to run through projects with them.

Thanks for the recommendation; considering it.

• Advertisement

No spat- I think we're all friends here......:)

Personally I'd be inclined towards a 12" rather than the 10"- and a Core i3 (Lenovo have several on special at the moment).

My issue (aside from the screensize- and resolution) is the keyboard is just too annoying for prolonged usage.

S.

smccarrick wrote: »
    No spat- I think we're all friends here......:)

Personally I'd be inclined towards a 12" rather than the 10"- and a Core i3 (Lenovo have several on special at the moment).

My issue (aside from the screensize- and resolution) is the keyboard is just too annoying for prolonged usage.

S.

see thinkpad edge on this page. bigger screen, keyboard, hdmi, not i3 but reasonable (non-netbook) processor and graphics. £270 with cashback (uk bank a/c access needed) or £299 without.

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/products/keywords/edge/ex/clearance%2cdummy%2ctradepack

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

smccarrick wrote: »
    CAD? On a netbook? Much as I love my netbook (and I've a 10.1" android tablet too)- I'd shoot myself before I'd try to run CAD on either of them........ For anything thats not resource intensive they're fine- but CAD?

They're both an android os that its means Linux Kernel OS not windows OS, so not all pc software will work on them. If you want use pc software on them going use download software called wine for linux, wine is a microsoft Emulator and use the wine option to open them.

wampyrus77 wrote: »
    They're both an android os that its means Linux Kernel OS not windows OS, so not all pc software will work on them. If you want use pc software on them going use download software called wine for linux, wine is a microsoft Emulator and use the wine option to open them.

I know :)
    The operating system is not the issue for me (and there is a version of CAD for Linux that works just fine)- its the hardware that I'd have issues with.

A netbook is perfect for fast internet access on the move.
    Anything other than that- and you really need something with a full keyboard, a decent screensize and depending on what you're rendering and how impatient you are- a reasonable processor......

I'm more than happy with my slab- I have no intention of running CAD (or indeed Wine etc) on it though. It does what its designed to do- just fine...... If I could update it to 2.2- with flash support, I'd be sorted, but that can wait for another day....... sigh......

I am a bit extreme with my hardware- my main laptop- is an 18.4" monster with a quadcore extreme processor and oodles of RAM and hard-drive space. I do quite a bit of video rendering- and it does get used (and abused). I guess thats where I was coming from with my CAD comment.

Cheers,

Shane

Advertisement