Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung NC10

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

I don't know about the blue because they haven't got it stocked yet but the blacks and whites are around 367 now, the 30 euro increased would bring it to just under the RRP but then collection...

Unless the RRP is going to be changed on all dispatches after the current lot which is still a bit weird..

• Registered Users Posts: 40 slinger99

Kin Mak wrote: »
    Still selling at 17.5% vat I see... can't believe those cowboys are still doing that. They are only €10-€20 cheaper than more legit companies and considering they charge in Sterling you will very likely lose a good chunk of your saving from the currency conversion on your card.

Buy from us, Dabs, Komplett... it does not matter. Just don't buy from these jokers. They are universally despised in the industry for their trading methods and standards.

Just wondering, I am based in Cork. Does Elara accept bankers drafts for delivering say, the Samsung nc10 to aan adress in Cork...and what do you charge for delivery...was considering buying from a certain website until i read the posts in the forum!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Fabulous service from Elara: ordered NC10 last Thursday and was delivered at 8.15 this morning as I was leaving for work.

Can't ask for better service than that...

Now to rush home this evening and wallow!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Elara: Kin

slinger99 wrote: »
    Just wondering, I am based in Cork. Does Elara accept bankers drafts for delivering say, the Samsung nc10 to aan adress in Cork...and what do you charge for delivery...was considering buying from a certain website until i read the posts in the forum!!!

Yes we accept drafts, just order as usual and at step 5 you will be given instructions on sending in cheques/drafts. Delivery is €10.89.

More blacks coming in tomorrow! Woo hoo! :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

More blacks coming in tomorrow! Woo hoo! :D

wahoo, ordering now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Did none of ye hear of the recession? Ah well :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Why oh why didn't i wait a couple of day for elara to get stock in,
    I'm now paying the price wit dabs!Customer care are pretty ticky to get stock in,and although it says on the page "In stock now" on my invoice page it says "Awaiting stock delivery"

Wow this is annoying!

Quick note to everyone:Dabs live care is very hard to get hold of,atleast with elara they reply to emails promptly and are on here!
    If you've got a choice avoid dabs..

kceire wrote: »
    wahoo, ordering now.

How did you order it allready?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Strange. Mine has started making a "tapping" noise. I guess it must be coming from the hard drive. Pretty annoying.

Anyone else get this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

quarryman wrote: »
    Strange. Mine has started making a "tapping" noise. I guess it must be coming from the hard drive. Pretty annoying.

Anyone else get this?

My advent 4211 used to do this intermittently before i upgraded the harddrive. It only happened when the hard drive would spin up, is constant or intermittent?

My advent 4211 used to do this intermittently before i upgraded the harddrive. It only happened when the hard drive would spin up, is constant or intermittent?

Its intermittent. Seems to be happen when the drive is idling. If i give it a job to do, like copy a large file or defragment then its fine. Aghhh! Really annoying me now!

Its this drive: fujitsu mhz2160bh but I can't find anything on google about the problem.

I guess the fact that the unit is so quiet that its more noticeable.

I'm off to do a reboot to see if there is a HDD power saving option that i can switch off.

Sorry about all the questions but hoping to get a black nc10 tomorrow,How are thye delivered?

And will just adding one to my basket keep it safe for the day?I'll be on my mobile and will hopefully be online when they come in,but i don't want to fill out bank details as for one its on a mobile and 2 its on a school wi-fi network which in un secure...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Anyone else get this?

My hd seems to be making clicking sounds quite a bit, and it's whirring/vibrating practically all the time too.

Its intermittent. Seems to be happen when the drive is idling. If i give it a job to do, like copy a large file or defragment then its fine. Aghhh! Really annoying me now!

Its this drive: fujitsu mhz2160bh but I can't find anything on google about the problem.

I guess the fact that the unit is so quiet that its more noticeable.

I'm off to do a reboot to see if there is a HDD power saving option that i can switch off.

It's down to the fact the machine is so small rather than a drive issue, it's just the speed the particular drive hits when it's idling that cause it to click against the casing. Not too sure how my new samsung 250gig drive cured this, but there ya go!

• Advertisement

rc28 wrote: »
    My hd seems to be making clicking sounds quite a bit, and it's whirring/vibrating practically all the time too.

I don't mind the vibrating, its a hard drive, moving parts etc. But the "tapping" is really annoying.
    It's down to the fact the machine is so small rather than a drive issue, it's just the speed the particular drive hits when it's idling that cause it to click against the casing. Not too sure how my new samsung 250gig drive cured this, but there ya go!

I have an external 320GB drive. If I took that apart and swapped out the drive from the NC10 would that be compatible?

I don't mind the vibrating, its a hard drive, moving parts etc. But the "tapping" is really annoying.

I have an external 320GB drive. If I took that apart and swapped out the drive from the NC10 would that be compatible?

Oh you're using an NC10?
    I'd return it first...as long as the HD is a 2.5" sata should work fine...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It should be, the warranty for the external will be voided though.

It should be, the warranty for the external will be voided though.

I don't mind voiding the warranty on the external but i assume it will void the warranty on the NC10 also right?

I don't mind voiding the warranty on the external but i assume it will void the warranty on the NC10 also right?

Dont quote me on this now, But, when i changed out the drive on my advent, there was no warranty sticker i had to break, and it was all very easy to swap out the drive. If i had a catastrophic problem, i would just swap the old drive back in. No one would be the wiser:pac:
    However obviously the machines are different, so do some research first before taking anything apart. I doubt you'd be the first to do it.
    And as for the clicking noise, it's a known problem on a lot of smaller form machines, even the dell m1330 is known to suffer from it with certain drives. The advent was particularly bad now, wouldn't want to be caught with it happening in a library or anything.

• Advertisement

Yes we accept drafts, just order as usual and at step 5 you will be given instructions on sending in cheques/drafts. Delivery is €10.89.

Thanks a million...will get a nc10 from you and a wireless router for my existing laptop and my new nc10 at the time,

You can order them now!Just ordered mine :D
    Payment received too :)
    Much quicker than dabs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭sk8board

Ricky91t wrote: »

just ordered mine. First time with elara. Have to say I found the whole registering/buying/billing process and data-entry very user-friendly and safe.

sk8board wrote: »
    just ordered mine. First time with elara. Have to say I found the whole registering/buying/billing process and data-entry very user-friendly and safe.

Agreed,
    Now lets hope the postgage/courier is just as quick and easy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Had my first real session with the NC10 last night and overall i am very very impressed, lovely machine. One thing though, and i don't know if it's just me but the plastic grille over the exhaust fan seems a bit flimsy, it actually creaks if you push it on mine.

it actually creaks if you push it

so don't push it :P

Just to confirm the 30 x NC10 Blacks are in. We will try get the orders packed as soon as possible but I can't put any through quickly for collection immedately as the warehouse is busy and they have told me they will kick my ass if I asked them. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 fdegir

just ordered one. last week i wasn't sure, but i'll get it this time.

hope it'll be delivered this week.

Just to confirm the 30 x NC10 Blacks are in. We will try get the orders packed as soon as possible but I can't put any through quickly for collection immedately as the warehouse is busy and they have told me they will kick my ass if I asked them. :D

Excellent!
    Thanks for keeping us posted.:D

the delivery estimate dates are tomorrow or thursday anyway, so its no worries.

(or you could just take one for the team ;) )

• Advertisement

Will orders that were put in this morning be shipped today?
    Or is it just wishfull thinking :P

You should have more faith in us... :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Ni.Ni

I notice Elara only have black and blue in now. Any idea when the white will be in? Would love to collect one soon

Ni.Ni wrote: »
    I notice Elara only have black and blue in now. Any idea when the white will be in? Would love to collect one soon

It will appear again once it comes avaliable. It is like a little game, they disappear and when they show up you have to grab them quick or they disappear again. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Ni.Ni

How much is the white one if I collect it?

Should be the same price as the black but I can't confirm the price until they arrive.

My nc10 had a BSOD this evening and I've only had it 3 days :(
    Does anyone know how to diagnose and fix the source of a blue screen? It restarted immediately so I didn't get a chance to read the error message. I hate bsod's as they never really get fixed/go away permanently in my experience :(

It was having trouble connecting to a wifi network just before it crashed. I have a feeling it has something to do with what the techies in IS Services did in getting it connected to the college network yesterday (they removed mcafee and put in avg 8 among other things).
    It definitely isn't a virus, I don't do torrents etc and only mainstream, well known software has been installed on it. I made a new backup just to be safe.

Does anyone know how to diagnose and fix the source of a blue screen? It restarted immediately so I didn't get a chance to read the error message. I hate bsod's as they never really get fixed/go away permanently in my experience :(

It was having trouble connecting to a wifi network just before it crashed. I have a feeling it has something to do with what the techies in IS Services did in getting it connected to the college network yesterday (they removed mcafee and put in avg 8 among other things).
    It definitely isn't a virus, I don't do torrents etc and only mainstream, well known software has been installed on it. I made a new backup just to be safe.

Update your drivers for wi-fi and anything else new on the site...

On a plus note,my nc10 is allready in or near the kerry depo will be here tomorrow :D

Update your drivers for wi-fi and anything else new on the site...

On a plus note,my nc10 is allready in or near the kerry depo will be here tomorrow :D

Samsung don't have any drivers available for the nc10 on their support site. Thanks anyway.

• Advertisement

Samsung don't have any drivers available for the nc10 on their support site. Thanks anyway.

Yeah they do,gimme a few mins i'll dig out the link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,412 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Does anyone know how to diagnose and fix the source of a blue screen?

You can disable automatic restart on error in
    control panel->system->advanced->startup&recovery settings

You could check the system logs for what the error was
    right click on my computer, click on manage
    the logs are under event viewer

Much quicker than dabs!

Hallo Ricky,
    Just to tell you that when i clicked on "gallery" I was told that the web page couldnt be found...Just passing on the info for you. icon9.gif

slinger99 wrote: »
    Hallo Ricky,
    Just to tell you that when i clicked on "gallery" I was told that the web page couldnt be found...Just passing on the info for you. icon9.gif

Edit:You're talking about my site?
    Yeah i know have never got round to finding a good solution for editing it,and my dreamweaver on my pc is lost as pc was rebuilt

Edit:You're talking about my site?
    Yeah i know have never got round to finding a good solution for editing it,and my dreamweaver on my pc is lost as pc was rebuilt

No prob.. and when i get my NC10 from elara..Ill give you a shout i also want to buy a wireless router..someone told me than Belkin wernt the best??? x? or Netgear ? etc, will post a message on payday ie buy day... icon10.gif

• Advertisement

Thanks, how do I know if I have the latest version because when I open up the 'samsung update' thing that came preloaded it says all my software is up to date. Anyway, if it has a BSOD again I'll install the driver on that site.

Mine just arrived, 24 hours exactly after pressing the buy button. well done elara. Now to crack it open. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 fdegir

sk8board wrote: »
    Mine just arrived, 24 hours exactly after pressing the buy button. well done elara. Now to crack it open. :)
    what is written in you order status? mine is still "Purchasing & Allocating Stock".

I'm wondering where is my one? it's almost 20 hours. :)

fdegir wrote: »
    what is written in you order status? mine is still "Purchasing & Allocating Stock".

I'm wondering where is my one? it's almost 20 hours. :)

It was initially payment processed. then something like 'Packing and ????', then 'Out on Delivery', with a tracking number for NPX (on delivery at 7.30 this morn).

First impressions:

-Very sturdy design - I've eee pc's and Acers aplenty to compare it to here in the office; the Acer guys in particular say that you can see its worth the extra €80 before you even power it up. A few of the Eee Pc's lads had already broke their keyboards because of flimsy design semingly.

-using it is easy, although there are a good 20-30mins of start-up screens to pass through once you power up for the first time. (along the lines of "Relax, you're installing Windows" ;) )

- the carry case is a typical afterthought; pity it desn't have some velcro to keep it closed.

- the gloss lid is an absolute magnet for fingerprints. You could film a whole episode of CSI off it.

All in all a top class product, and will suit my specific requirements perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭savemejebus

I just compared mine to a Dell Mini9 that was delivered to work. The Dell doesn't compare well at all, screen, keyboard, lack of F keys. I'm very glad i went with the NC10.

@ Sk8board - What do you think of the build quality around the fan exhaust?

• Advertisement
Advertisement