Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung NC10

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭sk8board

@ Sk8board - What do you think of the build quality around the fan exhaust?

didn't think of it until you reminded me; it feels absolutely rock solid; and moreover i like that it vents out to the side; my current dell inspiron burns the knees off me as it vents out inderneath. That type of design should reduce the heat build-up over hours of use too imho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Hmm might have to ask samsung about my creaky one then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Ni.Ni

Am I right in thinking that the NC10 only comes in one spec?
    Am about to press buy and just want to make sure:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Hmm might have to ask samsung about my creaky one then...
    Mine creaks when you press in the vent at the side but it's sturdy enough. I don't think it's a problem unique to yours, in fact I don't really see it as a problem at all as why would one need to touch the vent plate anyway? I'm getting paranoid about each little noise the nc10 makes- the hd has stopped clicking somwhat but now there's a new faint 'buzz' sound coming from the laptop as a whole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Ni.Ni wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking that the NC10 only comes in one spec?
    Am about to press buy and just want to make sure:D

Ye, I'm 99% sure there's only one version (apart from the different colours obviously)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Ni.Ni

It's on the way :D

rc28 wrote: »
    Mine creaks when you press in the vent at the side but it's sturdy enough. I don't think it's a problem unique to yours

yeah, i was just worried that it was unique to mine. I'm hyper sensitive when it comes to new gadgets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I'm after reading the whole thread and I think I'm sold on this machine a bit more than I was going to pay but with the good reviews here and I think it should suit my purposes and I'll go with elara as Kin is doing a great job with his repsonses.

Does it come with a vat receipt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Elara: Kin

Namesco wrote: »
    Does it come with a vat receipt?

Yes, it is does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Received today!
    Very pleased with it!:D
    Typing from it now really happy with it thanks elara :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Kin Mak..

Think I asked this earlier but didn't get an answer. Any idea why the blue model is more expensive than the black and white models? It's not just your site - it's at least a £10 more on other sites also.

basquille wrote: »
    Kin Mak..

Think I asked this earlier but didn't get an answer. Any idea why the blue model is more expensive than the black and white models? It's not just your site - it's at least a £10 more on other sites also.

Don't know really, price now is not really what you should go by. When it comes in the actual price will be shown. It should be the same price along the range for the different colours. If the blues were in stock now with us they would be the same price as the white and blacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭ongarite

It got a very favourable review on bit-tech.net today. They were very impressed with it, they have done reviews of all the major netbooks before.

It won netbook of year on some gedgety website can't rember what though..
    Just tested Call of duty on it (had it on an external hard drive)plays super well!(on speed mode)the only thing that catches me out abit is the shorter right shift key but im geting used to it :D

Kin Mak wrote: »
    Don't know really, price now is not really what you should go by. When it comes in the actual price will be shown. It should be the same price along the range for the different colours. If the blues were in stock now with us they would be the same price as the white and blacks.
    Yeah.. just thought it was odd that the blue was more expensive on Elara.

And it was the same until earlier on TheHut.com, they had the white and black models priced at £290, and the blue was priced at £300.

But now it's the white at £320, the blue at £300 and the black at £290.

Extremely odd pricing strategy..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Yeah.. just thought it was odd that the blue was more expensive on Elara.

And it was the same until earlier on TheHut.com, they had the white and black models priced at £290, and the blue was priced at £300.

But now it's the white at £320, the blue at £300 and the black at £290.

Extremely odd pricing strategy..

The blue ones use an extremely rare pigment to make that shade of blue. It's derived from an extremely rare and extremely fast animal called the sonicus hedgehogicus. This is what makes them so expensive.

The blue ones use an extremely rare pigment to make that shade of blue. It's derived from an extremely rare and extremely fast animal called the sonicus hedgehogicus. This is what makes them so expensive.
    cute_hedgehog.jpg

"That bastard AlmightyCushion... doesn't he realise that animal was my brother Frank? I'm going to let him know my disgust with harsh words and an even harsher stare!"

;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It was bad enough that the badgers were after me, now it's the bloody hedgehogs too. :(

Kin Mak wrote: »
    Yes, it is does.

Thanks deal done.

Just have to wait now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭sk8board

I've noticed tonight that my download speeds are running about 20% faster using the wireless on the NC10 versus that on my Inspiron.
    And its not a freak; I've disconnected/reconnected the two laptops, and the result is the same.
    Its a 1mb line; I get <=80kbps download on the dell, and 95-105Kb on the NC10.

Is the black finish NC10 a finger print and dirt magnet? Too shiny? All the reviews I have seen are of the white model and it looks quite well in this colour.

ongarite wrote: »
    Is the black finish NC10 a finger print and dirt magnet? Too shiny? All the reviews I have seen are of the white model and it looks quite well in this colour.

i disagree had the black for 4 or 5 hours now and isn't a figerprint magnet,does slightly attract them though...i'll be uploading some pics tomorrow of it :)

Some pics would be great as I'm thinking of getting this and black seems to be model in stock at the moment.

I'll upload photos shortly now to do a review

Build quaility
    Well after using this for 6 or 7 hours over two days i'm yet to find something wrong with the design,the keyboard feels very sturdy and the key sizes are fine,i know slightly smaller than normal and i have got big hands but i only hit a few keys wrong while maybe typing all that above this.One issue in the small size shift key on the right,i'v got used to it but caught me out at first there is a bigger one on the left,the screen hinges are great and i use it on my lap alot and it doesn't move

Screen
    The screen is surprisingly very easy to view and i moved from a 15.4" laptop,as it's not a gloss screen and more matte it is quiet noticeable if the last laptop you used is gloss but again you get used to it,the screen is very bright and around now it can easily be used on the lowest brightness with lamps on...

Technology side
    Well i find the laptop to run very well the hard drive is quick usb transfer is very fast and it only once froze briefly(messenger beta jammed)the graphics card is quiet impressive but sadly it picks how much should be shared.This can be annoying if you're trying to see how well a game will play on low/high setting when it uses 30mb on low and then 80mb when you move it to high.The processor has barely gone above 50% usage and runs very quick i'd rate it quick than my pentium D 3.33GHZ processor

Colour
    The black colour is great and the silver strip isn't noticeable that much but looks very well,also the blue lebs really make it cool very modern.The mouse/keyboard area is matte black and the back of the screen is gloss

Mousepad
    Well i think this deserves a heading of its own this,although small performs very well and one slide across it covers 2/3 of the screen and sliding up covers 1/2.It multitouch is very cool and handy for zooming in to read small print on the net.The single left right click button is also small but it is easy to get used to.All in all i like the touch pad.

Connectivity
    The wi-fi/bluetooth is very good on this laptop after initial set up with in seconds of log in it found my 2 wi-fi networks and then i connected to one,they coverage seems great and i havn't dropped below 54mbps yet which would of happened on my older laptop,the bluetooth is always on and the samsung program it comes with works well it is alway on(might be an issue if you want extra battery life)but i'm sure you can disable it,

Overall
    Well for web-browsing chatting,typing this is great,for gaming(if you want one to mess about)i'd either hold out to see if samsung realease a new bios allowing full control over vram and possibly 224mb,if not go for the msi wind or alike.The battery life is yet to be tested i'v run it on battery for 30-40 mins and performance is not affected i was quoted 7 hours by the windows battery meter.

I really like it and very pleased,now off to edit pictures with it :)

3063681715_2f63c8c22a.jpg

3063681719_0fb1793873.jpg

3063681727_688875297f.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Nice little review you have there!
    Now download this theme to make your xp interface look nicer!
    Royal Noir Theme:pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Super work, much appreciated. It looks fantastic in black with the silver strip.
    You have definately pushed me over the edge to get one.

Excellent review Ricky91t.

Sounds fantastic.. one of the lads from TheHut.com told me mine would be despatched on the 2nd so should have it inside the next 10 days!

Looking forward to it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Excellent review Ricky91t.

Sounds fantastic.. one of the lads from TheHut.com told me mine would be despatched on the 2nd so should have it inside the next 10 days!

Looking forward to it!

that's taking a while isn't it? You ordered last weeks didn't you?

I'm happy i paid a few quid more to buy it on the spot.

having said that, it'll be worth the wait for you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

In the last 2 days dabs.ie's price has jumped up to €399. Odd.

quarryman wrote: »
    that's taking a while isn't it? You ordered last weeks didn't you?

I'm happy i paid a few quid more to buy it on the spot.

having said that, it'll be worth the wait for you!
    Yeah, bought it this day last week.. still can't complain at the price I paid (€312) although these jammy bastards on the Bargain Alerts forum may have gotten theirs for €301 or so.

And not too bad considering my estimated delivery date last week was 18/12/2008 - I'm just chuffed I'm getting it sooner.

But took a fair bit of effort to get a VAT inclusive invoice from The Hut - as it's coming from Guersney and their invoices in shipping don't state tax paid. So I need an invoice saying I've paid tax so revenue can't knock down my door looking for another 21% (whoops... 21.5% as of Monday) on the price! ;)

• Advertisement

Broke (literally) down after reading all the reviews and seeing the uploaded pics and ordered a black NC10 from Elara.

For those that find the trackpad very small you can use a 2-finger scroll.<br />
    <br />
    <a href="http://code.google.com/p/two-finger-scroll/&quot; target="_blank">http://code.google.com/p/two-finger-scroll/</a><br />
    <br />
    It means the righthand side of the trackpad can be reclaimed space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 fdegir

my one was delivered yesterday. thanks to Elara, 2 days and its here.

I have nothing negative to say about this netbook. it's very nice little device. I've purchased with a bluetooth mini mouse after reading reviews about touchpad and it works well.

so, my advice is don't spend time to compare this one with advent, or others and go for samsung.

I read the case you get with the NC10 isn't great.. fine for storage but it's basically a slipcase. Apparently no real use for transporting the laptop around.

So bought this on Ebay.

LC_NetBookHTNT0702_10Bk01_b.jpg

Should work out at about €7.. own one of these slipcases for my Macbook. The best type of laptop case.. not bulky and typically grip the laptop well.

fdegir wrote: »
    so, my advice is don't spend time to compare this one with advent, or others and go for samsung.

ha, thats not exactly the best advice now is it. It may have amazing battery life, but the likes of the advent have other advatages over it too. Best would be to way up the pros and cons of each.

But what are the advantages over the Advent? It has a smaller HDD and a weaker battery.

But what are the advantages over the Advent? It has a smaller HDD and a weaker battery.
    Yeah, none that I can see really to be honest..

The Advent has same processor, smaller HDD (etc), 3 cell battery as standard. But is slightly lighter at 1.2kg (NC10 is closer to 1.33kg) but hardly a deal break.

Advent is an msi wind and as such can be overclocked. That's the only advantage i can think of anyway.

Advent is an msi wind and as such can be overclocked. That's the only advantage i can think of anyway.
    Ah yes.. that slipped my mind alright.

Well i suppose the less hd in the advent is probably a deal breaker for most. I put a 250Gb one in mine though! And the overclocking is very handy. Although, had the samsung been availible a few months back when i was in the market for a netbook, i think i would chose extended battery life myself...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 fdegir

Yeah, none that I can see really to be honest..

The Advent has same processor, smaller HDD (etc), 3 cell battery as standard. But is slightly lighter at 1.2kg (NC10 is closer to 1.33kg) but hardly a deal break.

you're right. advent is lighter, but it comes with 3 cell battery as you said. which one you perefer?
    100grams more, but battery life is almost double
    or
    buying 2nd battery for advent and take it with you when moving around?

one other thing, nc10 hdd is bigger as you said, that's right. but there is something else about hdd. nc10 hdds are the best hdds among the other netbook hdds. (i don't remember the review)

i've already said cons. touchpad is not good enough. so i ordered mouse with my nc10.

of course I'll absolutely have problems with nc10 later but from reviews/websites/etc and my first impressions, this is my opinion and my advise.

You might be able to get an Advent 6-cell battery, no?

you're right. advent is lighter, but it comes with 3 cell battery as you said. which one you perefer?

100grams more, but battery life is almost double
    or
    buying 2nd battery for advent and take it with you when moving around?
    The 6 cell battery to be honest - twice the battery life over a little extra weight.

It's a given I'd assume.. I mean it's hardly a huge weight difference.
    i've already said cons. touchpad is not good enough. so i ordered mouse with my nc10.
    You sacrifice the smaller touchpad for a larger keyboard... having used the irritating small keyboard on the Advent, they're spot on in their decision.
    You might be able to get an Advent 6-cell battery, no?
    Yeah, there's a 6 cell available. If you do a search for MSI Wind 6 Cell (more widely known as that), you'll pay about €50 for one.

€99 for the 6 cell E1210 battery (same as advent) here http://www.medion.com/de/electronics/cat/Akkus/notebooks_notebookzubehoer_akkus_21

I think i'd take my chances with fleebay at that price:eek:
    EDIT: Didn't realise that was the 6cell 5200mAh battery, it's actaully not a bad price!

Mine arrived today about 11 o' clock, only ordered it late wednesday night from elara. So far haven't got much time to test it out as the my other half hasn't taken her hands off it since I took it out of the box. But impressed so far nice design and good ketboard to make it very workable and portable.

Ordered mine last night from Elara, ready for collection now. Might pop over and collect it if I have time.

I see the price has gone up by €30 again. It seems to be all over the place on all Irish, UK websites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

Ordered mine from Elara last night as well so I just missed the price increase :D

Anyone know why the price has gone up all of a sudden?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Ordered mine from Elara last night as well so I just missed the price increase :D

Anyone know why the price has gone up all of a sudden?

May be it's a .5% VAT increase that they calculated incorrectly :P

• Advertisement

As I mentioned to you guys there has been a price increase, if you had been following the stock the 30 x NC10s sold out yesterday and a new batch 20 came in today at the higher price.

Next batch after this is going to be higher again. :(

Advertisement