Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung NC10

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Kin Mak wrote: »
    As I mentioned to you guys there has been a price increase, if you had been following the stock the 30 x NC10s sold out yesterday and a new batch 20 came in today at the higher price.

Next batch after this is going to be higher again. :(

wow they sold quickly..
    And its ashame about the increase glad i got in early :D
    Is this happening to all laptops you're ordering in or just samsung?
    If it's samsung i have a feeling they will start loosing potential buyers at its will soon be in a new price league!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭ongarite

Kin Mak wrote: »
    As I mentioned to you guys there has been a price increase, if you had been following the stock the 30 x NC10s sold out yesterday and a new batch 20 came in today at the higher price.

Next batch after this is going to be higher again. :(

Thanks for the info. I would imagine Samsung are seeing high demand for this product and looking to make a nice profit.

Didn't get a chance to pop over to your premises today to collect my NC10. Traffic on the N4 is crap and I had some work stuff pop up. Thanks for your help on your website chat today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

Is this a simple supply and demand thing? They are selling larger quantities than Samsung anticipated so they upped the price? Demand does seem to be outstripping production at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Samsung obviously got their pricing strategy from an irish property developer!!!They will probably go up to 450 Christmas week!Sickened I didnt get in at 369!!!Isnt electronic equipment meant to get CHEAPER as time passes???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Ten Tenths

The NC10 in black sounds really nice. Has anyone installed OS X on one of these? And how did it go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭ergo

hey, have read most of the thread but might have missed a page or 2 but I have read them before)

which UK-based sites do people think are the best...? (I currently live in the UK).....will be back in IRL soon though

just looking at the hut

http://www.thehut.com/hut/10009167.product

it's £299.93 with free delivery to UK (not sure about IRL)

but that changes to €404 when converted :eek:

sendit.com

http://www.sendit.com/sendit/10009167.product

£319.89 with free delivery to uk (converts to €419....:eek: )

anyone Irish based using any other UK websites...? I'm thinking if they're giving value shipping to IRL they should be pretty good for someone in UK like me...sorry if this is slightly irrelevant to some people..not too much I hope

You can purchase in sterling on both sendit & thehut (they are both run by the same company AFAIK) and it comes to €350.
    They can't guarantee Christmas delivery now though.

I seen one on display in Currys, Galway yesterday.

Ten Tenths wrote: »
    The NC10 in black sounds really nice. Has anyone installed OS X on one of these? And how did it go?

Have a look on youtube...Some one there
    and on this site
    I think someone has installed it on here..

Thanks. Heading there now

• Advertisement

Few more pics :)
    3068151106_6d609c2436.jpg
    Arty shot,sorry i can't help it :P

3068147536_1966e18739.jpg
    Samsung logo on the gloss "finger print magnet" case

3068144730_7c84a0249c.jpg
    For those of you wondering about keyboard size,here an AAA battery on mine

3068143670_8d2083ecf0.jpg

And another of it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Cheers Ricky91t.. looks great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭teetotaller

Myself and my wife are owners of 2 nc10 black and white :):)

did u test any games already ?

I've been playing 13 years old Transport Tycoon only :)

Myself and my wife are owners of 2 nc10 black and white :):)

did u test any games already ?

I've been playing 13 years old Transport Tycoon only :)

Wow best way to see which is nicer buy both :D
    Yeah i'v tried call of duty the original one plays well on 640x480 on low,with bits of lag

also player grand theft auto 3 plays very well on 640x480 or 800x600 downloading vice city as we speak will report back tomorrow
    Check youtube for videos of games and this thread (it isn't on boards on the unnofical samsung forum)

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Few more pics :)
    3068151106_6d609c2436.jpg
    Arty shot,sorry i can't help it :P

3068147536_1966e18739.jpg
    Samsung logo on the gloss "finger print magnet" case

3068144730_7c84a0249c.jpg
    For those of you wondering about keyboard size,here an AAA battery on mine

3068143670_8d2083ecf0.jpg

And another of it :)
    Oh thats is class. Hope they dont charge extra for black like Apple used to. January sales are getting close now.

Ten Tenths wrote: »
    Oh thats is class. Hope they dont charge extra for black like Apple used to. January sales are getting close now.

LOL
    you,have serious will power,
    My initial plan was to wait till i go to the u.k after xmas and get one in the sales,But i caved in and bought one in from elara...Very happy though or i would of been without a laptop for a month or 2...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

Hi all,

I got one of these yesterday from Elara. It seems like a nice little machine alright.

Now i need to get a propper padded case for it. I saw a post by someone in which there was a link to such an item, but i cannot find it now.

Does anyone have a case for theirs yet? If so where did you get it?

Thanks!

gaffmaster wrote: »
    Now i need to get a propper padded case for it. I saw a post by someone in which there was a link to such an item, but i cannot find it now.
    That'd be me!

Link

Aaaargh!None left in Currys in Dublin...

How much are Curry's selling them by the way? €399?

• Advertisement

Yes 399...Now Kin Mak are you going to have any White ones in before Christmas?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

OK couple of questions here (may have been asked earlier so apologies if they were).

Whats the maximum memory one of these babies can take and what kind of SO-Dimms do they take? Looking to bump the RAM up to 2 or 4GB if possible.

Would love to get one in blue but I reckon they are and will be in short supply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

gandalf wrote: »
    OK couple of questions here (may have been asked earlier so apologies if they were).

Whats the maximum memory one of these babies can take and what kind of SO-Dimms do they take? Looking to bump the RAM up to 2 or 4GB if possible.

Would love to get one in blue but I reckon they are and will be in short supply.

A 2GB RAM module is the maximum size the NC10 can support and 200 pin DDR2 SO-DIMM is the type you need; such as the one found here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Ta very much just damaged my cc badly ;)

Is anyone having problems getting the euro symbol.
    Ctrl Alt 4 is giving me nothing. :confused:
    Try Alt Gr and 4...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭NeverSayDie

Further to my last post on this, pair of NC10s arrived from Elara a couple days later, good service. Very nice little gadget, decent screen quality, keyboard's a good size, seems pretty usable.

Re folks looking for slipcases - I picked up some in Carphone Warehouse yesterday for 20e apiece. Neoprene slipcase, specifically for 10" netbooks (they sell em for the Asus they stock I think), seems to fit the NC10 fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Elara: Kin

ytareh wrote: »
    Yes 399...Now Kin Mak are you going to have any White ones in before Christmas?!

Yes it should be in sometime this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Further to my last post on this, pair of NC10s arrived from Elara a couple days later, good service. Very nice little gadget, decent screen quality, keyboard's a good size, seems pretty usable.

Re folks looking for slipcases - I picked up some in Carphone Warehouse yesterday for 20e apiece. Neoprene slipcase, specifically for 10" netbooks (they sell em for the Asus they stock I think), seems to fit the NC10 fine.

Any room for the charger?

quarryman wrote: »

Hmm, haven't tried that, might be a stretch. Main pocket fits netbook only, snug fit. There is a side pocket on it, just a flat one though - more pens and cables than transformers and plugs. Neoprene might stretch out enough to fit it, will give it a try tonight and report back.

^ Posted from the NC10 pressing FN and F3 at the same time,
    I'm on the newer bios though,never tried using it till now...

Link to samsung download page

Or

Direct download link for ver.03CA bios

Posting from mine now. Its a fab bit of kit. Lovely design and build quality.
    Battery life is really really good.

It'll take me a day or two to get used to the keyboard and trackpad.

ongarite wrote: »
    Posting from mine now. Its a fab bit of kit. Lovely design and build quality.
    Battery life is really really good.

It'll take me a day or two to get used to the keyboard and trackpad.

Agreed i'm used to both of them now,only from doing forum posts and alike,i think i'll break myself in before i start doing 1000 essays and stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cruibin

Ordered mine yesterday :) , should have it in a couple of days!! :D
    Had a play with one in the states 2 weeks ago was very impressed, couldnt get my hands on one in NY as they were walking out of the shops there! Had a look at a similar spec Acer and Asus and the Sammy came out on top imo.

Im hoping there will be an improvement in the light of day so to speak but right now am not impressed with webcam on the wife's new NC10.Its much more 'blurry' when you move compared with the webcam on her old (early -with the better webcams and track pads installed) Advent 4211.I hope this improves in daylight or I will be fairly sick .Any one else got impressions good or bad of their NC10 webcams?In daylight or under lights at night?

Had a look at that this evening, not really, no. Might wedge it in if you had to, but it's not really suitable. These slipcases are more for carrying it around under your arm, or for protecting it in a larger case/bag, but there's not much room to spare beyond the device itself.

Had a look at that this evening, not really, no. Might wedge it in if you had to, but it's not really suitable. These slipcases are more for carrying it around under your arm, or for protecting it in a larger case/bag, but there's not much room to spare beyond the device itself.

cool thanks! I'm gonna keep my eye out for larger case.

..would really appreciate some feedback on the NC10 webcam....I hope they havent done the same as with the Wind/4211 and downgraded the quality of some parts after a few months of manufacturing .
    Its just so blurry when you move say eg waving hand...wasnt like this on the one I tested in Currys!!!

• Advertisement

ytareh wrote: »
    ..would really appreciate some feedback on the NC10 webcam....I hope they havent done the same as with the Wind/4211 and downgraded the quality of some parts after a few months of manufacturing .
    Its just so blurry when you move say eg waving hand...wasnt like this on the one I tested in Currys!!!

relax. give people a chance to reply.

edit: ok just tested the webcam there. Have the lights on full in the room and its ok. Does the job. Blurry, but I don't have much frame of reference on webcams.

Typing on it now and I love it! Had to install a third party driver to get two finger scrolling going as I wasn't happy with the scroll bar. Otherwise its everything I wanted :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

ytareh, the besct thing to do is to go back to Currys and see if they will change it for a new one.That can't be right if the camera is not of good quality. Make sure to get back to them as soon as possible as they will be more likely to exchange it for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Fnz

I'm experiencing a problem with my new NC10. The trackpad will go into scroll mode even when I'm not using the area on the right. No hardware apps have been installed to alter the way the device functions. I'm only using a single finger at a a time, so there should be no multi-touch confusion. It seems to only (or, at least, mostly) happen when moving upward from the bottom of the pad.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is this a unique fault or is it endemic to this type of device? I'm considering returning it as I can see it becoming a nuisance.

Try installing the two-finger scroll that I linked earlier in the thread. Then disable the scroll section on the right of the trackpad to gain full use of it.

Try installing the two-finger scroll that I linked earlier in the thread. Then disable the scroll section on the right of the trackpad to gain full use of it.

Is there anyway of completely disabling the scroll sections rather than just reducing their area? It have reduced both to the absolute minimum but its still going into scroll mode now and again.

Yes. That's what i said in my post, *disable* it altogether.

Taken from here:
    http://www.sammynetbook.com/plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?926

Assuming you're using Win XP
    1. Go to control panel
    2. Open the mouse properties.
    3. Click on the tab for Device Settings (which should have a little red logo on it).
    4. Click on "Settings" and you'll be confronted with a load of Synaptics settings.

Disabling it is somewhere in the there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Just saw this linked on sammynetbook.com
    Samsung has admitted that it has been caught out by high demand for its netbooks and that it is unlikely to satisfy all orders in the retail channel before the important Christmas period.
    “We are hoping that supply will have freed by the end of January,” he said, adding a number of netbook vendors had been caught out by the volume requirements of the channel.

Looks like anyone hoping to pick up a bargain in the January sales may be dissapointed.

invest4deepvalue.com

Well wife has confirmed that webcam is still 'blurry' when moving about in daylight .Its ok as a camera for taking stills but any motion eg waving hand is causing 'ghosting' of image.Its a black NC10 in perfect condition .As she makes a lot of Skype calls to overseas relations it has to go .Shame as its definitely the most stylish of the netbooks by far .Battery life is unreal at 6-7 hours...
    If anybody is interested in buying this from us please PM asap as I will try and return it under the one week cooling off conditions otherwise...Less than 24 hours old !!!'May' deliver in greater Dublin area if you cant collect .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Elara: Kin

Hi ytareh

Does you problem look like the one in the video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBOLy8Qbc-E

It sound like a low frame rate issue rather than a focus issue, can anyone with a NC10 check what settings they have their webcam set to?

• Advertisement
Advertisement