Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Database report presentation

Options
  • 31-10-2008 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of an open source tool that will allow me to run automated reports on a database and present the results in html format. I would be useful if it had graphing tools etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Not off hand but don't forget the Open Source forum too.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭NeverSayDie

Did a Google or two and came across this crew;
    http://reporting.pentaho.org/report_designer.php

There were some news stories about them doing a reporting component for OpenOffice, don't know what came of that, but their software sounds interesting anyway, could be worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Worked a bit on BIRT over the summer. It can be integrated into website also if you have the BIRT Viewer installed on your PC.

http://www.eclipse.org/birt/phoenix/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Worked a bit on BIRT over the summer. It can be integrated into website also if you have the BIRT Viewer installed on your PC.

http://www.eclipse.org/birt/phoenix/
    Thanks. Both applications look pretty cool, but I need something like that where I can design a report template and then it will be generated on a monthly/weekly basis. Not sure if these tools do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

irishguy wrote: »
    Thanks. Both applications look pretty cool, but I need something like that where I can design a report template and then it will be generated on a monthly/weekly basis. Not sure if these tools do that.
    Well BIRT is live as in everytime you connect it gives you the actual status. Don't know if that what you looking for though.

• Advertisement

Yes this might do the trick then. Ill download it and have a poke around thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

What type of database? MS SQL Server 2005 comes with Reporting services which allows you define a report against values in a DB.

Comes free with the server license IIRC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Its MSSQL 2005 server all right, i must take a look at it wasnt aware that there was one included. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

irishguy wrote: »
    Its MSSQL 2005 server all right, i must take a look at it wasnt aware that there was one included. Thanks

Yeah it's pretty handy alright. You can also create report models so that end users can create their own reports, without knowledge of the underlying schema. Although this is a bit limited in the amount of joins it may do, it's pretty handy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

You can also schedule reports (or end users can subscribe to them on their own terms), so if when you create your report you can set it to mail out to people every week/month etc.

It's not open source, but if you already have SQL Server 2005 it is free if that's what you were going for. Very good features and very simple to use.

Advertisement