Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do spices go off?

• 31-10-2008 6:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭

I have some steak seasoning (schwartz) the best before is 17-05-08. I'm fairly sure I've used it on other stuff but I have an Angus striploin steak ready to cook here and don't want to ruin it. Other than that seasoning I've nothing other than salt and chilli powder.

Answer quick please I'm hungry.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

Short answer yes. Long answer, they don't go off so much as lose their flavour over time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

It won't hurt you or taste terrible, it just won't be as good as if it was fresh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Good cause I eated the steak.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭CL32

I'm sorry, I really am (for bring up this thread)

I've spent the night reading through this forum and I'm after falling around the place laughing at Scumlords last reply. I've never LOL at a post before and I hate the term, but its finally happened to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ScumLord wrote: »
    best before is 17-05-08.
    It means what is says, it was at its best before then, it did not go toxic overnight after that. "use by" is different.

They do not want stores with ancient stuff on the shelves with old logos and faded print. Also forces stores to buy new stuff and not take advantage of bulk buying.

If spices are older you would usually use more, or just replace.

• Advertisement
Advertisement