Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commerce first year

Options
  • 31-10-2008 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hey UCDs,

I'm thinking of doing Commerce next year.
    Can anyone tell me what sort of hours they have in first year? Many early mornings?

Is it difficult? What books do they use?

Thanks guys.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Your Man

deciding on a third level course based on early mornings...lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

do comm. its piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭damienricefan

MuddyDog wrote: »
    do comm. its piss.

lol i've heard that too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭armbruster

Thanks lads your really giving me loads of info here. What books do they use? Hours? Classes? That kind of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

Well I do B&L, so I've done some of the subjects a commerce student does, you can see the classes you would be taking here, if you look at Commerce under Business and Law programmes. The books change fairly frequently, but for Micro and Macro Economics you'd be using Principles of Economics: European Edition, by Bernanke, McDowell and thom. For Accounting the lecturers publish their own books or provide notes. If you look at the module descriptions you'll get a good idea of what the classes are like. As for hours, as far as I know it's fairly light in commerce. Times vary, but you'll probably have about 18 hours a week, depending on what electives you pick.

If you search the forums here, you'll get a lot more information

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

Hey armbruster,
    There is an information meeting regarding the Quinn School of business this monday evening in ucd. You can find out about all the commerce courses there.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭ucdperson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 HoldOnTight

hey! im a second year in commerce (and language) at the mo so I might be able to give you some insight. in terms of hours I had 18 hours per week last year ( it should be around the same for pure commerce). Books are reasonable easy to come by ( you can most in the second hand bookshop).

It always irks (spelling?) me when people say commerce is pi.ss easy. like most degrees, if all you are looking for is an extremely basic degree then its obviously going to be piss easy. however, if you are looking for a first or second then you can think again about lazing around. while first year is reasonably easy to do well in (i got a 3.5 gpa with a reasonable about of study), second year is another kettle of fish (cringe). we are bombarded with assignment from week to week.its relentless! its not uncommon for me and other people doing commerce (both pure and with a language) to be spending up to five hours in the library each night.again, if all you're looking for is to pass then college life shouldn't be too strenuous. but, if you actually want to get something valuable out of this degree then you are going to have to work just as hard and consistantly as anyone else in ucd.

*END RANT*:D

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

hey! im a second year in commerce (and language) at the mo so I might be able to give you some insight. in terms of hours I had 18 hours per week last year ( it should be around the same for pure commerce). Books are reasonable easy to come by ( you can most in the second hand bookshop).

It always irks (spelling?) me when people say commerce is pi.ss easy. like most degrees, if all you are looking for is an extremely basic degree then its obviously going to be piss easy. however, if you are looking for a first or second then you can think again about lazing around. while first year is reasonably easy to do well in (i got a 3.5 gpa with a reasonable about of study), second year is another kettle of fish (cringe). we are bombarded with assignment from week to week.its relentless! its not uncommon for me and other people doing commerce (both pure and with a language) to be spending up to five hours in the library each night.again, if all you're looking for is to pass then college life shouldn't be too strenuous. but, if you actually want to get something valuable out of this degree then you are going to have to work just as hard and consistantly as anyone else in ucd.

*END RANT*:D
    Im in 3rd commerce, put very little effort in last year and came out with a 2.1. There were a number of subjects that i didnt attend at all. Basically it is piss easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 holla

2.1 isnt a good GPA, it is piss easy to get that much but if you actually want to go some where in life you will have to work. my advice would be to breeze your way through first year - enjoy yoursefl but come 2nd and 3rd year(1st year doent count towards your degree) put the effort in or else it will cost you and you will be stuck in a dead end job for life.
    If you want 2 years without worry do a 4 year course like B&L

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

holla wrote: »
    2.1 isnt a good GPA, it is piss easy to get that much but if you actually want to go some where in life you will have to work. my advice would be to breeze your way through first year - enjoy yoursefl but come 2nd and 3rd year(1st year doent count towards your degree) put the effort in or else it will cost you and you will be stuck in a dead end job for life.
    If you want 2 years without worry do a 4 year course like B&L

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that he didn't mean a GPA of 2.1 but a second class honours, which corresponds to a GPA between 3.08 and 3.67

• Registered Users Posts: 37 holla

My mistake, i was thinking in GPA. I still cant see how commerce can be described as piss. It is easy but there is alot of work with continuous assesment and assingments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

I got a 2.1 in Commerce as well, and I would have to agree that it is a very easy course. A lot of people phone it in for the entire three years and still walk out with an Honours.

That said, it's supposed to be a great degree to have. Not sure how much I can agree with that as I'm still unemployed :-S

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

Raphael wrote: »
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that he didn't mean a GPA of 2.1 but a second class honours, which corresponds to a GPA between 3.08 and 3.67

Yeah it was second class honours i was talking about!

You do have to put some work in but not much, a couple of assignments to do and generally plenty of time to do them, and then some cramming come exam time. Its easy if you put just a little bit of effort in!
    Just my opinion though!

Advertisement