Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hard Drive Failure / No boot device available

• 31-10-2008 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Ok guys and gals, there are two HD in my pc and it appears one of them has failed.
    Have identified which one and disconnected. Other one is connected as before.
    Trying to boot up pc on just one HD and keep getting message No boot device available or Boot from CD. Have tried messing about with boot sequence but no joy. Any ideas.

Also is any info on the failed HD unrecoverable.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 BooShank

Hi,

You could have a look at the following product if the info on the wonky drive is valuable and the drive failure symptoms resemble those described in the product overview.

SpinRite is the product name and info is available on
    http://www.grc.com/intro.htm

I haven't used it but from listening to the author's podcasts he seems to really know his stuff and gets plaudits from customers all the time.

BR
    BooShank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Which drive had the OS? Or were they in raid?

If the drive that failed had the OS, then obviously the system won't boot up with it removed.

Also:

If you are having trouble booting from the healthy drive it sould be because the jumper setting on the healthy drive is not set to master.

The jumper is a little connector for pins located physically on the drive. You may have to look up the drive specs to find out which pins you need to connect up.

BR
    Ger

Voodoo's comment should be checked out first though.

BR
    Ger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭BCawley

You could try booting into linux from a usb, and copying the important data on the hardrive. Link Dont forget to set the bios to boot the usb first.
    That should determine whether the HDD is generally fecked or is it something else

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 glebe

Thanks for the reply guys,

Cant really answer any of yor questions asked. My pc knowlege is limited.
    HDD were stacked one over the other and both connected. Dont know what drive OS was on. I take it that would be the first thing to find out but how would I go about that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭biologikal

My first question would have been, "How do you know a hard drive has failed? Did you see a message as the PC was trying to boot/startup?"

Could be a simple matter of a dusty PC, that needs some connections reseated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

stick your 2 HDDs into another pc and examine them for an OS,.. then you can see which is which....

while your at it get a marker and mark one with OS so you know in future..

Advertisement