Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternatives for the man who hates sit-ups...

Options
  • 31-10-2008 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭

Simple as that really. Can't stand doing them for many reasons, mostly the slight cracking/popping in my lower back, i know i know, proper form and all that. Any alternatives? I know there's the plank but i don't know how effective it is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

reverse crunches and L sits.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I hate sit ups myself. Plank's pretty good IMO. I use it at the end of sessions hitting the bag at home. 1 minute front, 1 minute either side, 1 minute front to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Casshern88

Plank is one of most effective excercises for core. just hold it till you drop and try add 5 seconds each workout, keep a stop watch under your face!

Google body weight core or abs excercise youl find loads of stuff, sit ups are over rated and not that effective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Plank ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,288 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHQmRINu4jU

There you go.

Here's a side version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUGifXahES4&feature=related

I have no sound on this PC so I hope the 2nd lad is not talking through his hole.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Hanging Leg Raises.

Hold onto an overhead bar. Pull your knees up to your face. Once you can do this bent let version try keeping your legs straight and touching your toes to your hands.

Don't do standard situps. To work the abs best you should aim to hinge somewhere between your chest and belly button. Hinging at the pelvis involves the hip flexors instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭gnolan

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Plank ?

Is that an insult or a suggestion? When performing the plank whats the best routine, i.e. 3 deep breaths x 5 or something simialr, or simply holding the stance for 1,2,3 minutes?

And I'm not familar with the L sit, could someone explain?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

PurpSquigLSit400x600-1.jpg

L-sit

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You can make even more compound movements, I do knee raises while doing chinups, and L-sits while doing dips.

I never do situps at all.

Can't do a V-sit though.
    Kurt_Thomas_V-sit.jpg

Advertisement