Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New production of Waiting for Godot

Options
  • 31-10-2008 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

So there's to be a major new production of this with Gandalf & Captain Picaird.
    Can they possibly make it interesting ?

I'm trying to read it at the moment (possibly not the best way to experience it), as I feel Samuel Beckett is a gap I need to fill in in my knowledge of Irish literature, but its hard going and I was a fan of Franz Kafka back in the day, so its not that I can't do tortured existentialism.

I feel like I'm missing something, its held by many as the most important English language play of the 20th century; I'd just love to know what exactly it is I'm missing, it's not jumping out at me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

I know what you mean - first time I saw it I thought "WOT THE F..K" and then I saw another production a few weeks ago and I laughed a lot more and appreciated the humour and made my own conclusion as to what I "thought" it was all about. But maybe it's the scenario of the "Emperor's new clothes" i.e. everyone gets it - but not really!!!

I saw Capt. Pic aka Patrick Stewart on the West End a few years ago with Joshua Jackson, in "A Life in the Theatre" - he's fantastic! And well worth seeing.

So maybe this production of Waiting for Godot is the one worth waiting for!?*

Advertisement