Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deloitte Presentation

• 31-10-2008 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

The big 4 presentations are all on next week & for the Deloitte Presentation it says that it's a "casual" dress code for the applicants. I know for sure my definition of casual, would be different to theirs!! any suggestions of what their looking for??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Trousers/Slacks with a shirt. Something that makes you look smart but not over dressed in a suit. A bit general I know but it's what smart casual is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 playingpirate

Has anybody attended a presentation yet??
    Just wondering what casual dress should be determined as for girls,the black jeans v black work pants debate is going mad here in UL!!

Also just wondering if anybody knew what kind of numbers deloitte will take on this year?

PWC were told that almost everybody who got called for an interview will get a job,the interview is mostly just a personality test......

Fingers crossed Deloitte is the same!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

At PWC last year about half my class were offered jobs and half weren't after the interview stages. I'm doing a masters now and it seems to be the same for other colleges

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Alyosha

I was at a Deloitte presentation yesterday. Basically replaced my suit jacket and tie with a smart v-neck jumper. Didn't feel out of place. Plenty of people in full business suits. Would edfinitely go for black pants over black jeans though. As regards numbers, think they are interviewing about 450 for about 250 places.

For PWC presentation wear full business suit. It's a more formal event with a meal, as oppossed to a drinks reception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭merrionsq

Casual in a business office generally means slacks/chinos with a shirt with a collar (top button open). A V-neck jumper or other similar smart wear is acceptable as well. And avoid jeans and runners. ("smart" tends to means suits and ties).

But anyone studying some form of Business in college should surely be aware of this sort of casual dress code? When I was in college most of the business/commerce types dressed like this anyway!:D

This frenzied student eagerness to conform reminds of an article of David McWilliams I read sometime back. Sign of a worsening recession? He was describing his last year in Trinity in the 1980s. Jobs were thin on the ground, and some students were getting desperate. So desperate, that some began wearing business suits to lectures, perhaps in the vain hope that someone would notice how suitable they were for employment. The even more abmitious types had taken to learning Japanese. Everyone knew that Japan would be the economic superpower of the next decade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

merrionsq wrote: »
    Casual in a business office generally means slacks/chinos with a shirt with a collar (top button open). A V-neck jumper or other similar smart wear is acceptable as well. And avoid jeans and runners. ("smart" tends to means suits and ties).

But anyone studying some form of Business in college should surely be aware of this sort of casual dress code? When I was in college most of the business/commerce types dressed like this anyway!:D

This frenzied student eagerness to conform reminds of an article of David McWilliams I read sometime back. Sign of a worsening recession? He was describing his last year in Trinity in the 1980s. Jobs were thin on the ground, and some students were getting desperate. So desperate, that some began wearing business suits to lectures, perhaps in the vain hope that someone would notice how suitable they were for employment. The even more abmitious types had taken to learning Japanese. Everyone knew that Japan would be the economic superpower of the next decade.

Michael O'Leary wore a suit to Trinners, guess McWilliams was wrong....:D In saying that I've gone to I.T Tallaght and I'm in Maynooth now and I've never come across students who dress "casual"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Fruiti

I'm interviewing people this year and we have been instructed that it's a 1:3 ratio - i.e. 1 job for every 3 interviewed, unless we meet some exceptional people and want to make more offers. So I wouldn't get too caught up in numbers, if you're good enough, you'll get a job - concentrate on impressing the interviewers instead of worrying how many people you know already have offers! Good luck!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Casual implies Smart Casual - therefore no jeans, no t-shirts etc. Make a bit of an effort and you will be fine.

You can still display a lot of personality and style within the boundaries of smart casual. Employers will be looking for a bit of personality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭clearya

Fruiti wrote: »
    I'm interviewing people this year and we have been instructed that it's a 1:3 ratio - i.e. 1 job for every 3 interviewed, unless we meet some exceptional people and want to make more offers. So I wouldn't get too caught up in numbers, if you're good enough, you'll get a job - concentrate on impressing the interviewers instead of worrying how many people you know already have offers! Good luck!.

Doesn't make me feel too confident :) Had a pwc interview on wednesday and their applications way up this year...they didn't specify how many there were interviewing, last year it was a 1:2 ratio i believe....i just hate the way people say the hard part is getting to the interview because you're still competing with someone else for a position! And deffo a lot of leadership style questions, they definitely looking to the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Failed Salesman

Chords also qualify as smart casual in my firm (one of the big 4), so as long as you wear that with a decent shirt/polo shirt and shoes you'll be fine.

Just make sure you don't have massive brand logo all over the place, like those new ralph lauren polos - small logos are fine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement