Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorway Service Areas May Be Delayed Up To A Year...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Roll out schedule:
    Here is the following project spec and timeline for the opening of the new service areas.

Please note all timelines are subject to An Bord Pleanala approval of the planning for the service areas.

M1 Lusk = Planning Submitted = First Tender Approval in Process = Expected Early 2010

M1 South of Dundalk = Planning Submitted = First Tender Approval in Process = Expected Early 2010

M4 West of Enfield = Planning Submitted = First Tender Approval in Process = Expected Early 2010

N6 Rathmorrissey = Planning Submitted = First Tender Approval in Process = Expected Early 2010

M7 Mountrath = Site review continuing = End of 2010 / Early 2011

N11 Gorey = Planning Process underway = End of 2010 / Early 2011

N6 Athlone = Planning Process underway = End of 2010 / Early 2011

N8 Cashel = Planning Process underway = End of 2010 / Early 2011

N9 Kilcullen = Planning Process underway = End of 2010 / Early 2011

N9 Kilkenny = Planning Process underway= End of 2010 / Early 2011

N7 Moneygail = Planning Process underway = End of 2010 / Early 2011

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Not that I'm doubting you or anything, but two questions:

1) Where did you get that information, particularly for the M7 and M8 MSAs (the most important ones at the moment IMO)?

2) Is the date given the speculative opening date of the service stations, or the date they begin construction?

The reason I ask this is because: the M1 MSAs, for example, early 2010. We'll say Q2 2010 to be generous. The NRA claims it takes 12 - 18 months to construct an MSA. That means to be on the safe-side, they'd want to start in January, but if they haven't began construction by June, then early 2010 is pretty much out of the picture.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

BluntGuy wrote: »
    Is the date given the speculative opening date of the service stations, or the date they begin construction?

Date of publication of tender on eTenders.ie probably :p

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Date of publication of tender on eTenders.ie probably :p

Optimistic as usual Spongebob? :D

1) Where did you get that information, particularly for the M7 and M8 MSAs (the most important ones at the moment IMO)?

From my contact at the NRA. If you email them you'll probably get the same information. I don't think it's a secret.
    2) Is the date given the speculative opening date of the service stations, or the date they begin construction?

The reason I ask this is because: the M1 MSAs, for example, early 2010. We'll say Q2 2010 to be generous. The NRA claims it takes 12 - 18 months to construct an MSA. That means to be on the safe-side, they'd want to start in January, but if they haven't began construction by June, then early 2010 is pretty much out of the picture.

I think it's the hoped-for opening date. A bit optimistic I have to say!

• Advertisement

Furet wrote: »
    I think it's the hoped-for opening date. A bit optimistic I have to say!

Mid to late 2011 is more feasible...

Has construction work actually started along the M1 service areas yet?

Has construction work actually started along the M1 service areas yet?

Nope. Second stage of tender shortlisting...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Apple Green are reffering to their new service station as per above as an MSS :rolleyes:

http://www.applegreen.ie/locations.html
    Locations

Applegreen Balbriggan - Ireland's first motorway service station
    OPENING THIS MONTH / Exit 5 - M1
    Stationthumb Balbriggan Wide
    o Spacious forecourt with easy access for motorists
    o Truck fueling area & designated Trucker's room
    o Hot and cold deli offers which include breakfast, lunches, hot and cold snacks, freshly made sandwiches and salads. (We also serve a large range of pre-packed sandwiches, salads and grab-and-go snacks for those of you in a real hurry).
    o Applegreen and Lavazza (Italy's favourite coffee) collaborate to bring you the Full of Beans speciality range of delicious coffees, the Best Coffee on the Road.
    o Our customers can choose between our Barista Bar or one of our customized premium Bean-to-Cup machines.
    o ATM, Phone Top-Up machines and free WiFi internet access throughout the building
    o Spacious seating area upstairs (incorporating an Executive corner for meetings and a specially designated Truckers room)
    o Excellent toilet facilities located upstairs
    o All areas are easily accessed by wheelchairs and the upstairs seating area is served by a well located lift for wheelchairs and elderly customers

Hours of business
    24 hour
    How to find us
    Exit 5, M1 Business Park, Balbriggan
    Tel
    01 8415650

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

I wonder how funny it would be to have the Rathmorrisey MSA built with no roads connecting to it? Cos thats what that suggests. It'll connect with the N18 Gort - Oranmore via the roundabout built as part of that scheme. It WONT connect with the M6 scheme which is being built at the moment.

• Advertisement

I wonder how funny it would be to have the Rathmorrisey MSA built with no roads connecting to it? Cos thats what that suggests. It'll connect with the N18 Gort - Oranmore via the roundabout built as part of that scheme. It WONT connect with the M6 scheme which is being built at the moment.

Well it's illogical... there is no space on a three-level stack with free-flow left turn slips for an MSA.

There should be a seperate one on the M6 and a seperate one half-way along the M18. The proposed MSA location is stupid because:

> If the person is going from Galway to Dublin - they'll have only began their journey, they won't need to stop at the MSA
    > People going from Dublin to Galway - again, most likely won't be stopping so close to their destination.
    > People going from Limerick-Galway or Galway-Limerick won't be stopping for the reasons mentioned above.

Who is the MSA for? They would be better off building seperate M6 and M18 ones, or none at all. That particular MSA is a massive waste of cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

...and an expensive purchase during the inevitable costly, disruptive upgrade of that ridiculous junction.

Some progress! The M6 Athlone MSA EIS has been published. I thought this was going to happen next year. Maybe the NRA are more serious about this than I thought.

http://www.nra.ie/Publications/EISPublications/

Some progress! The M6 Athlone MSA EIS has been published. I thought this was going to happen next year. Maybe the NRA are more serious about this than I thought.

Yes a whole 5 weeks early. :rolleyes:

The Applegreen at M1 junction 5 has opened, it's 24 hours.

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Yes a whole 5 weeks early. :rolleyes:

Better than a whole 5 weeks late... ;)

Besides, it isn't "early" considering this should've been done ages ago. If only the NRA hadn't flapped about in deciding whether we needed MSAs or not...

By the way, if you're really interested, the public information day will be in December. I'm not sure when, if I find out I'll post it here...

Also, according to the EIS, construction is due to begin in 2009. It also says that for the M1 and M4 service stations as well as the N11 Gorey one. That's five out of the twelve they plan to have started by the end of the year.

Bare in mind they've only just gone into the second stage of tender shortlisting for THREE of those TWELVE. It's looking increasingly unlikely that they'll have more than one or two of them finished by the end of 2010.

But who knows, maybe they'll prove me wrong.

Anyway, for those of us too lazy or too busy to look at the EIS, here is an image showing the layout of the MSA:

Why does the M6 one have only one main area accessed from both sides of the motorway, whilst the M1 ones have two separate areas for both sides. The M1 areas on both sides seem like overkill.

Well the M1 is busier, so I guess it might be justified that way. The rest of the MSAs seem to prefer this set-up...

Also, IMO, it should be a free-flow trumpet-style system like the N11 service area...

The first M9 service area EIS has just been published (scroll down to the bottom):

One more thing, if you're interested, here's a picture from the EIS showing the layout:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I do hope the 4 pump stands (8 pumps) in the passenger car area is only to show what goes under the canopy and not indicative of the final plan, as that will be horrifically too few for busy periods...

So, will there be two service areas in that location (one for both sides of the road), or just one? One seems sufficient to me, assuming traffic from both sides can access it.

So, will there be two service areas in that location (one for both sides of the road), or just one? One seems sufficient to me, assuming traffic from both sides can access it.

One judging by the EIS. The only MSAs I've seen with two seperate service stations are the M1 ones.

However, why are they being linked with an inefficient dumbbell interchange? The M11 Gorey one will use a trumpet interchange. I guess it's so if the MSA ever needs to be extended to the other side it can be done with ease.

Any idea what kind of disruption we can expect to the motorways while construction works go on? I'd imagine erecting a new overbridge across a live motorway will necessitate a significant closure.

Any idea what kind of disruption we can expect to the motorways while construction works go on? I'd imagine erecting a new overbridge across a live motorway will necessitate a significant closure.

Well unless they can find a way to magically build a bridge without any staff on the ground I can see lane closures, road closures, delays, tailbacks and other such painfulness on the cards.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Well unless they can find a way to magically build a bridge without any staff on the ground I can see lane closures, road closures, delays, tailbacks and other such painfulness on the cards.

ah well, twill be worth it in the end!

a free flow junction would have been better tho, those roundabouts are jus begging to get clogged up

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

the M1 junction for Swords at Holywell moved both lanes left to HS and driving lane, and had a 80limit, there may have been lae closures at night for putting up the bridge deck but never delayed me.

Apple green have a petrol/diesel station open about 3km north of the M1 south station, so I'd imagine it would stal the need for the MSA.

http://applegreen.ie/locations.html

Apple green have a petrol/diesel station open about 3km north of the M1 south station, so I'd imagine it would stal the need for the MSA.

http://applegreen.ie/locations.html
    Covered in full earlier in the thread, it's 2km north BTW ;)

Two things:

1) I've started a thread specifically dedicated to providing updates on the MSAs:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=58246162

However, I felt this thread was more appropiate to post this little thing on:

2) Here is an extract from the Irish Times nearly a year back:
    The NRA has committed to having its first service areas operational by the end of 2009 and the spokesman said that, currently, it was still on course to meet this target.

Makes me believe this statement (which they KEEP insisting) even less:
    Some 12 locations along the motorway network have been identified as suitable for service areas. The first will be sited on the M/N4 with two more along the M1. The Authority says it plans to have service areas on all the inter-urban motorways by 2010.

• Advertisement

Large-scale works are going on off the Cashel bypass after you pass exit 9 and continue northbound.

Rumour has it that a McDonalds restaurant is going to be constructed there, obviously privately funded. This might not be true; but I wouldn't be surprised.

Advertisement