Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motorway Service Areas May Be Delayed Up To A Year...

13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Only if Newlands Cross Goes ahead !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

True. But its the most likely of the Five PPPs to go ahead, as its all CPOed already for defiante.

Tis indeed , I take it your '5' PPPs has the N20 split into 2 PPPs does it ??

Yup. Numbering is arbitary

1) M17/18 Gort to Tuam incl Tuam bypass
    2) N25 New Ross and M11 Enniscorthy
    3) M20 North (Buttevant - current N20) and N21 Adare bypass
    4) M20 South (Blarney - Buttevant) and N22 Cork North Ring Northern Section (Blarney to N8)
    5) N7 Newlands Cross + N11 Arklow - Rathnew

5) will have the MSA near Gorey. Either 3 or 4 will have an MSA also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

They should probably slap a service area into the N17/N18 scheme as well. If not for the N18, then for the M6 (since it's lost one at Rathmorrissey - though that's not a bad thing as well all know).

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭North Cork

http://www.irishtrucker.com/news/news_detail.asp?nid=4680
    Service station plan scaled back

Hauliers hoping to see an increase in the number of service station on Irish motorways will be disappointed to learn that only three premises are set to open by 2011.

The National Roads Authority (NRA) had planned to open ten facilities at various locations around the country, but due to the Government cutbacks on spending that has been reduced to just three.

The IRHA has been long calling for more service stations to be made available for drivers, who need to rest and avail of the services provided.

However, two will be opened on the M1, while one shall also open on the M4 by 2011.

Story filed on June 19, 2009

While IrishTruckers.com has a troubled history of posting rubbish and presenting it as news, I'm afraid what has been posted above is indeed the case.

We'd be lucky to even see those three the way things are going. :(

I really dont understand why they're cutting back on these. They're money spinners, not losers.

On euro motorways you just see the things, they're no big deal. Why the hell should they be such a big deal here?

Just build the damn things.

Oh BTW there will still be one at Gorey on the M11 if the PPP goes ahead as its part of that contract. So thats four of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

I. Why the hell should they be such a big deal here?

Just build the damn things.

C'mon chris - this is ireland we can't just DO THINGS that would mean getting on with it .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 scottyccfc

So no service station planned for the Cork to Dublin road??

Why does the M1 get two??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Just glanced through this thread again - and realise just what a pathetic country we live in in terms of planning. As everyone has said - WTF is the big deal just build service stations - if necessary near major junctions - signpost them on the motorway and get on with it. I come off the M4 at Kilcock these days to avoid the toll and get a breakfast at Mother Hubbards cos I know there is nothing on the M4/6 for a long long way. As one poster has said these things are money spinners WTF are they playing at do they want to see people running out of petrol on these shiny new motorways, do they want to see families having to stop on the hard shoulder to let kiddies pee or puke, or adults having to stop to go for a pee on the same. There will be a major accident on the motorways when someone falls asleep at the wheel due to lack of service stations Could someone please enlighten me - or is it something to do with the idiot politicians arguing about which county the service stations should be in (jobs), or the appropriate cash fees in brownies have not been paid to the local councillors - C'mon lads you know how things work here, give your bungs get your planning permissions and build the service stations.

Slightly more to add to North Corks post from June , I must say I find it astonishing that the Road Safety mob hav not commented on the Cork-Dublin motorway having no services. It must be a world record length and certainly a European record :(

http://www.thepost.ie/news/ireland/nra-shelves-proposed-plans-for-motorway-service-stations-44176.html
    the NRA was recently told by the Department of Finance not to go ahead with the purchase of nine other sites. It will be ‘‘2011 and possibly later’’ before the funding is available for these sites

Nothing built till 2013 then :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

I know it's been said but... why haven't these been put in before... f*ck sake they're just so handy in the UK and on motorways in general everywhere else... why does this poxy country keep reminding everyone it's still in the dark ages and a joke when it comes to planning ANYTHING???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Noffles wrote: »
    I know it's been said but... why haven't these been put in before... f*ck sake they're just so handy in the UK and on motorways in general everywhere else... why does this poxy country keep reminding everyone it's still in the dark ages and a joke when it comes to planning ANYTHING???

They are not "handy" more of a safety requirement which is normally mandatory in other countries. Motorway driving can become very tiring and it is critical that we get these service stations built soon. And yes this country is still a disgrace, some emergency phones wouldnt go astray either.

This is entirely the fault of the NRA, all blame rests with them.

It is their fault because they spent too long deciding whether the MSAs were necessary - then when they finally do, they pick an utterly useless pilot tranche which leaves the longest MIU with not a single MSA. :mad:

It is feasible to to either of Dublin Airport to Cork Airport ( or is it vice versa) without passing a single service station all the way once you hit exit the complex ,mad or what , no coffee anywhere :(

And where is the Road Safety Authority ???? , they never answered any email I ever sent them

As this is a very important safety issue it is particularly important that this list of 24 hour stations be kept up to date and checked properly .

http://www.pumps.ie/findStationsByFeature.php

Can people check all of the ones listed below on pumps.ie and register with pumps.ie and confirm

1. Are they 24 hour still, some certainly are not since they were bypassed.
    2. Is the station correctly marked ( not 2 miles away)
    3. Is there no 24 hour station between Cork and Urlingford ( I know that there was no 24 hour station between Athlone and Dublin ( ever) but there were 24 hour stations in Athlone/Roscommon/Ballinasloe for near 20 years and surely Athlone was never an MSA priority with Kilmartins still there :(
    4. Any food served , is it hot, is it edible ??
    5. Any 24 hour hot drinks with caffeine in them ?
    6. Are there 24 hour toilets ?

You might save a life which is more than the NRA or RSA will do and a GPS list of these will come in handy for a long time to come :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

People could presumably lobby for more specific and coherent signs for the "pretend" MSAs. While it's a broken concept, the existing policy of just some vague brown signs for towns/villages could be amended slightly, even just temporarily, for a more useful guide for motorists. More specific and up-to-date in terms of what's available, and signs off the junction to the exact location of these services?

I mean considering there isn't any hope of MSAs soon.

And also people need to be more aware of the fact that you can exit a tolled part of the motorway and re-enter without paying again at the re-entry point. Because of lack of fuel, people are going to be forced to exit halfway down the toll stretch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved to Infrastructure.

Advertisement