Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New house insulation

• 31-10-2008 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi,
    I know there are numerous threads related to different insulation issues but I'm in the middle of a new build and would like some advice in laymans terms. To date I have put
    • 5" kingspan in the base
    • 6" (150mm) cavity with 4" (100mm) kingspan insulation in the cavity.
    The house is a 2 storey house with concrete slabs between ground and 1st floor.
    I'm planning on using 50mm insulated slabs on the inside of all external walls. What is the best method of doing this ? Mushroom fixing directly to the block wall (no air gap) or battening the wall and fixing to the battens.

In addition i was planning on using 50mm insulated slabs on the ceiling of the 1st floor. Is this the best option and what extra insulation should I use in the attic?

Thanks in advance.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

shazzyb wrote: »
    Hi,
    I know there are numerous threads related to different insulation issues but I'm in the middle of a new build and would like some advice in laymans terms. To date I have put
    • 5" kingspan in the base
    • 6" (150mm) cavity with 4" (100mm) kingspan insulation in the cavity.
    The house is a 2 storey house with concrete slabs between ground and 1st floor.
    I'm planning on using 50mm insulated slabs on the inside of all external walls. What is the best method of doing this ? Mushroom fixing directly to the block wall (no air gap) or battening the wall and fixing to the battens.

In addition i was planning on using 50mm insulated slabs on the ceiling of the 1st floor. Is this the best option and what extra insulation should I use in the attic?

Thanks in advance.:)

Your wall insulation is preey good. Personally i would use the mushroom fixings. I have done it both ways and find the mushroom fixings are alot less labour intensive. also any attitional insulation gained through the cavity between battons will amlost certainly be lost through air leakage. Make sure to seal the slabs to the wall using adhesive sealant detaild for this may be found in the scotish accredited details.
    The ceiling is Ok with the 50mm slab this will deal with thermal bridging through the ceiling joists. add an additional 10" of fibre glass in attic space. Two layers 1 layer 6" and 1 layer 4" going opposite direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Now, you've lot's of insulation, time for air tightness!

Advertisement