Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Washing My Dog.. With Head An' Shoulders??

• 01-11-2008 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hey all, I've always used special dog shampoo from the pet shop to wash my dog. But just wondering if it's safe to use normal shampoo, like say Head an' Shoulders.. cause I'm all outta' special dog shampoo! :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭mary123

Dont think a once of would be much harm, but to be on the safe side could u not wait till tomorrow and get some dogs shampoo just to be on the safe side. The h and s could be to strong for him and maybe give him a reaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Dogs' skin has a different Ph to ours, which is why they need specially formulated shampoo. You could use human shampoo just this once - just make sure you dilute it very well. I would steer clear of the Head and Shoulders though as that will really dry out his coat. If you can hold off until you get to the pet shop tomorrow, all the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Doubt you would be washing him now, but if there was baby shampoo in the house and you still feel you have to wash him , that would be the only one I would put on my dog if I was stuck.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

If it's not urgent eg dog hasn't rolled in summit really stinky try Tesco or the like for a dog shampoo. If the dog isn't too bad washing in plain warm water might be ok for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I know of a vet who used to recommend Johnson and Johnson's No More Tears stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭flynnc

NO! Dogs (and cats) actually have much more sensitive skin than people do, and their fur is much less oily than human hair. Shampoo that is designed for people would strip a dog's fur of essential oils and nutrients and dry out its coat and skin very badly. You would do much better to simply wash the dog with clean water and not use any shampoo at all than to use human shampoo which would likely damage the dog's skin and coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭McConnon

Just bought some Johnson dog shampoo in the pet shop!

Thanks to all of you who posted above :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I usually wash mine in baby shampoo...I'd only wash them in non baby shampoo if I was really stuck. It's not as bad for dogs with dark hair but for dogs with white hair grown up human shampoo:P is a big no no as they have much more sensitive skin.

Advertisement