Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

accomadation near open learning centre ballard house

Options
  • 01-11-2008 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Hi All,

I have to go to a day course at the Open Learning centre at Ballard house. Does anyone know of a hotel near by or a bed and breakfast. I prefer a hotel and as near as possible to the learning centre. Also I will be getting the bus there and I am not familiar with Galway at all. Should i get off the Bus at the Bus station or at the Square? Which would be more convenient.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Where is Ballard House?

What street is it on or is it in the suburbs?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭shalom

Sorry for leaving out essential info!!!

It's Open Learning Centre, Ballard House, Westside, Galway

Does this help?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Try google maps for location and hotel information.

Ballard House is located in the suburbs, not the nicest area of town to stay in. It's a twenty minute walk from Eyre Square.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

snubbleste wrote: »
    not the nicest area of town to stay in.

And that post FAILS.

OP the westwood hotel is in the Area.

See here:http://www.westwoodhousehotel.com/index.htm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Steyr wrote: »
    And that post FAILS.

OP the westwood hotel is in the Area.
    See here:http://www.westwoodhousehotel.com/index.htm

eh?
    Ballard House is located between the Westside Tavern and the entrance to Camilaun Park, not the nicest area of town!
    The Westwood Hotel is 1.7 km away on the Clifden Road– about 20 mins walk according to google maps. Eyre Square is just over that distance walk the other direction where the OP will be arriving in Galway

• Advertisement

Ok, Thanks for all your help. I think I will phone them and see what they have to say at the Open Learning centre. Your help was appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

shalom wrote: »
    Also I will be getting the bus there and I am not familiar with Galway at all. Should i get off the Bus at the Bus station or at the Square? Which would be more convenient.

The bus station is virtually in the Square if you come on Bus Eireann. Or two mins walk from the Square if Citylink etc.

You'll need to get another bus from there to where the course is, ask the OLC for advice on which number.

snubbleste wrote: »
    eh?
    Ballard House is located between the Westside Tavern and the entrance to Camilaun Park, not the nicest area of town!

Im from the area and its not bad and that pub is very quiet lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

I'm so sick and tired of guys on here 'warning' other posters about Westside, i'd understand if it was f*ckin Baghdad they were going to!
    Both me and Steyr have lived there all our lives and if anybody should give advice about the area it should be people who actually come from there and not someone who has to google it.
    Rant over :pac:

OP where ever you get a hotel in town it should be only a 15-20 min bus ride (Rahoon Bus think it's no.5 )from Eyre Square, the Westwood is a lovely hotel and it's a pretty straight foward walk from the hotel to Ballard House. You could also get a hotel in Salthill ( Salthill Hotel ) and it's just a quick taxi ride away.

Both me and Steyr have lived there all our lives and if anybody should give advice about the area it should be people who actually come from there and not someone who has to google it.

Well said S! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

15-20 min bus ride (Rahoon Bus think it's no.5 )from Eyre Square.

Ahh.

5W bus.

The driver will almost certainly do a verbal check "Rahoon?" with you ... just in case you've mixed it up with the 5E that goes to Ballybane. Draw your own conclusions about what that indicates about the area(s) concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Rant over
    Sure, you're home with the downies. Talk the talk and walk the walk like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

biko wrote: »

Ya know wha' i'm sayin' like.

biko wrote: »

U'd so get maced if you came round westside :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

youz spelt accommodation rong in teh first post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭axiom32

there is the hanley oaks and the bus stops right outside with only a ten minute walk.

gosh ManFromAlantis.... I'm really sorry. i didn't mean to offend you with my incorrect spelling. I will be ever so much more careful in the furture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

axiom32 wrote: »
    there is the hanley oaks and the bus stops right outside with only a ten minute walk.

You took the words out of my mouth. The Hanley Oaks Hotel is the nearest to Ballard House. No traffic problems either.

hi,

Thanks to all the helpful people for the replies. I will be 6 weeks from giving birth when I have to go there so I really don't want to walk any. I think maybe I will just get somewhere in the city and taxi it.

Thanks again to all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

ah only pulling your leg. but its the one word that you will always see misspelt two A's two C's, two O,s two M,s
    best of luck

• Advertisement
Advertisement