Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead space

Options
  • 01-11-2008 12:48am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This is getting good reviews,just wondering has anyone here played it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Yep, I'm about 3/4 way through. Very good game, I usually don't find games or films scary but this one is in parts. very good graphics, the lighting and sound just sets the tension and mood perfectly.

Its short enough, you'll finish it in about 12 hours but I think its worth a couple of play throughs. Its similar to the movie Event Horizon and plays like System Shock 2 but in third person.

Its one of the best games of its type in years in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Thumbs up from me too. I'm a little over half-way through, but I'm enjoying it so far.

It's a very well designed game, and that comes across with nearly every aspect. The setting, lighting and audio are top-notch. Characterisation, presentation and voice-acting are as good as you'll get. It takes of ideas from Resident Evil 4, but it does bring its own ideas to the table too, and they're largely successful.

I'm playing it on Easy though, because I found Medium to be hard as nails.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

I've just finished Chapter 4 (out of 12), it's working out roughly an hour per chapter. I'm really enjoying it too, made me jump a few times. It could be described as a cross between System Shock 2 and Doom 3 with some new bits added. I particularly like the fact the game is short and I will definitely finish it...finding time to play all these new releases (The Witcher, Fallout 3, Red Alert 3 etc) is going to be impossible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

im on chapter 3, good so far, but the mouse movement is starting to piss me off.
    And can anyone force AA through their gfx drivers, i cant seem to.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Played about 90 minutes of it last night and was very impressed. Graphics are jaw dropping & the lighting is also very impressive. Very atmospheric and muchly good fun also. Thumbs up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Mite get it so after I finish far cry 2 and fall out and red alert 3 :).Could be waiting a while though :P.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Pretty good game! Makes a good go at giving you a fright most of the time.

Started off at low graphics because I thought it would drag but changed it in game and I was quiet surprised at the speed it changed resolution and turned on all the shiney.

Worth a play through to the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

I wish i could change difficulty from medium ot hard mid-game, dont want to start over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Got to chapter seven last weekend and haven't played it since. It's a hard game to leave ,once you get stuck into it.

Looking forward to finishing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

Finished it last night, plenty of "OH SHI-" moments throughout. Looks like EA have their hands on a great new franchise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Looks like EA have their hands on a great new franchise.

Watch them put pressure on the developer to re-release the same game in a different skin and call it a new game. EA Games, Ruin everything :D

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Watch them put pressure on the developer to re-release the same game in a different skin and call it a new game. EA Games, Ruin everything :D

I certainly won't argue with that. They're an awful shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Play it on hard - makes it much more tense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭RKDus

Played through the first couple of chapters and I have to say found it quite boring (although I seem to be thinking that about most games these days). Has anyone else noticed with a lot of new games that they don't respond instantly to mouse movements, like there is a slight delay? It's really frustrating!

RKDus wrote: »
    Played through the first couple of chapters and I have to say found it quite boring (although I seem to be thinking that about most games these days). Has anyone else noticed with a lot of new games that they don't respond instantly to mouse movements, like there is a slight delay? It's really frustrating!

If you have V-sync turned on (default I think), disable it and that might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

Looks and runs beautifully on the 360, got it yesterday after beating Far cry and Fallout. Very smooth game, dark imagery, cool weapons, some of the best I have seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

When you finish I heard you can restart, keeping your upgrades (but you have to play at the same difficultly level).

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭agentgreen

How does it compare to Bioshock?

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Kazuma

Depends on how you found Bioshock...
    If you were looking for something more like System Shock when you got BioShock, then Dead Space is for you. Fun fun fun. And the comparisons are correct, Event Horizon, System Shock, and Resident Evil all wrapped up into one lovely joybundle.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭agentgreen

Kazuma wrote: »
    Depends on how you found Bioshock...
    If you were looking for something more like System Shock when you got BioShock, then Dead Space is for you. Fun fun fun. And the comparisons are correct, Event Horizon, System Shock, and Resident Evil all wrapped up into one lovely joybundle.
    Thanks, I haven't played either and want to pick one up later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭KilOit

I wasn't all that impressed with the story in Dead Space it was so predictable, it was still fun though, but was nothing compared to Bioshock or System shock 2 those games kept me glued to the screen till the end,
    Dead Space was just meh

Advertisement