Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current Weather Conditions - November 2008

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Still just as foggy here as this morning, frost hasn't thawed either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Thick ice out there actually, found a 2 inch slap of ice over a bucket of water!

Still freezing out there with mist creeping back and forth, tonight will be bitter but the wind might shift more to a northeasterly so the east coast may* not have a really harsh frost, but if the wind fails to come onshore who knows how low it could go with maxes probably only reach 2c today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Stuck on 1.2C and misty with a barely visible sun through it.

Decking still like an ice rink, frost still on ground, cars etc.
    Close it has been to an ice day here in years. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Snowbie wrote: »
    Stuck on 1.2C and misty with a barely visible sun through it.

Decking still like an ice rink, frost still on ground, cars etc.
    Close it has been to an ice day here in years. :cool:

it remind you of the eighties, doesn't it. go on it's okay to be nostalgic:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

-1C, Foggy, very frosty

• Advertisement

Total sunshine here yet the temp is struggling at 3c.
    The yard is rock hard with ice still and the roof of this house still looks like it has snowed.

I can see the fog inland and towards the wicklow mountains-thats not going to budge.

All in all a proper winters day

it remind you of the eighties, doesn't it. go on it's okay to be nostalgic:)
    Your dead right nachos, it's a pity the younger folk on here never experienced that peroid, they might understand what cold spells really where like and how easy it was to snow as subzero temps and ice days where often even here by the coast where i have lived all my life and also the more potent northerlies up there in Mayo.

Marginal events and hopecasts seems to be the order nowadays.
    Pity:(

But i'm enjoying my near ice day here atm.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

The temp here on the coast has dropped back to 0.7C after hitting 0.9C earlier. :D
    Theres a hole in the fog just where I am, due to local topography, so the sun is shining fairly well most of time. The fog is as dense as ever just outside the town though.

Dublin Airport heading towards an ice day?

DUBLIN AIRPORT W 08 FOG THICKENING -1

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Looking at the satellite loop it seems that the dreaded fog is expanding, thankfully the Wicklow mountain shield is doing its job and its glorious here :D I really don't like fog, gimme a clear crisp sunny day anytime! Max today so far 4.4°C, probably not going to end much above that if at all. I wonder if I'll see -5 tonight, wouldnt bet against MM getting it.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Yeah, glorious sunshine here too. Wall to wall blue sky but temperature has only maxed so far at +2.7c.

Was just out and about and you can clearly see that fog bank over de nortside.

Ice day here. Still below freezing with dense fog and a layer of frost on every single twig/branch on the trees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Dublin Airport heading towards an ice day?

DUBLIN AIRPORT W 08 FOG THICKENING -1
    Not 00-24h day as it was above zero in the early hours, but 09-09h day is still on.
    6C atm AWS maxed 7.1C but probably over read by about 0.5C

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Brrrrrr, what a day out! Tis still below freezing here, -0.2c currently, a fog down now after some brief sunshine this morning, looking like its gonna be an ice day :D

Off topic but look at how cold it is all the way down to the south coast of Spain!-http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Reurmetd.html

Today peaked at 4.5°C, race to zero starts now!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Still -1C here, the highest temperature of the day so far

Gonzo wrote: »
    Still -1C here, the highest temperature of the day so far

Well the Wicklow race to 0 then :P
    I see on the Howth webcam that its pretty dense fog and only 0.2°C right now..amazing given that its on an isthmus sticking out into the sea.
    Down to 3.7°C here, falling rapidly.

Max of 1.3C
    0.8C now and falling slowly.
    One of the coldest days since 27th Dec 2000 here(6am to 6pm)
    Wind light WNW.
    Dp -0.2C

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Maxed at 5.8C falling away now, 4.2C already

• Advertisement

The visibilty has reduced down to about 200m here and the increasingly hazy sun is starting to sink down into the murk. The temp's at 0.7C, having peaked at 1.2C around 1:30pm.
    It is very similar to those few days at the end of December 2000, though it was several degrees colder then. :D

maxed here at only 3.4c and has fallen back to 2.2c now.

Theres high cloud to the south east from what look like showers way out to sea.

This is the first time in years that I had to get a kettle of warm water to unstick the door of the car from it's ice and to melt the frost off the windows at 2pm in the afternoon!

Both Dublin airport and Oakpark now have freezing fog.
    I can actually see freezing fog right along the vale of avoca at the moment also.

Yep fog thickening here now after a minor clearence to more misty weather, should continue to cool down from here on in, going to be a trascherous night on the roads, with a thick white frost and freezing fog.

The visibilty has reduced down to about 200m here and the increasingly hazy sun is starting to sink down into the murk. The temp's at 0.7C, having peaked at 1.2C around 1:30pm.
    It is very similar to those few days at the end of December 2000, though it was several degrees colder then. :D
    Yep the difference was we had arctic air right down over us then and not fog keeping the temp down.

I lived roughly 400yrds from the James Larkin coast road in Dublin 5. I use to overlook Dollymount strand and recorded a max of 0.7C that day with a low of -2.8C. I am now 1.6miles from the coast and has never been quite as cold since then until now.:eek: but :D all the same. Im patient:P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Peaked at 2.6c here today in bright sunshine. I'm not surprised really. I'm on a westerly facing hill so only get a few hours sunshine this time of year. The field behind me is still covered in frost. I'll take a walk down to the reservoir tomorrow, will definitely be frozen...

Temp now at 1.8c, will drop like a stone in the next hour or so...

A

Snowbie wrote: »
    Yep the difference was we had arctic air right down over us then and not fog keeping the temp down.
    We had fog at times that week here, with it breaking up for a while in the middle of the day to hazy sunshine, exactly like today really! The final day of that cold spell was the coldest here, with low cloud never really giving the sun a chance, and a biting breeze. I think it peaked around -3C that day, but wind chill made it feel colder. :cool:

Its now 0.3C. :D

We had fog at times that week here, with it breaking up for a while in the middle of the day to hazy sunshine, exactly like today really! The final day of that cold spell was the coldest here, with low cloud never really giving the sun a chance, and a biting breeze. I think it peaked around -3C that day, but wind chill made it feel colder. :cool:

Its now 0.3C. :D
    We had snow also on the 27th.:)

0.8C atm fog kept the temp down all day but it's preventing it from falling too quick.
    Wide range of temp from a few of the sensors i have at 4ft
    Screen is 0.6C
    VP2 0.7C
    One Thermo (unsheiled) exposed to the elements at 0.3C
    Little oregon sensor at -1.8C:D:D must replace that one

Ground thermo
    Grass temp at -2C
    Patio at 0.1C
    Decking at -1.4C

• Registered Users Posts: 25 caz34

Snowbie, what would you think are the chances of getting to -4 or lower in your location tonight? I have a tree fern that I am worried about, if there is any chance Im going to have to move it.

I think the temp around here would end up in the region -1C to -2C, coldest at dawn.

Tree ferns are usually hardy to low temps but if you are in doubt, if at all possible cover it with plastic right down to the soil. If it's handy to move, do so if your worried. :)

0.3C atm

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

+0.8c here now with the fog rolling around and over - fog must be thick as it is unusual to get fog here as I am a bit higher than the city.

Max. today of +2.7c with clear blue skys, no wind and wall to wall sunshine - frost still on shaded roofs, grass, etc.

I can't remember a day as cold here, especially in those conditions.

Advertisement