Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current Weather Conditions - November 2008

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

-1.8C

Edit
    19.28 -1.5C
    19.34 -0.7C

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

From -0.3c to 0C, fog still here but thinning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

-0.1C
    No cloud to be seen.
    The breeze continues and has veered to nearly north. If it veers a little more, it will bring maritime air into the mix

Edit +0.1C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Temp up to 0C now, fog almost gone. I wonder whats up ? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Seems to be holding at 1.3c for now, fog seems to be coming down again though.

Wind NNE
    998.4mb
    96%RH
    DP 0.7c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Frost is getting sharper here by the minute.

Strange temperature rises, I'm sure Snowbie will give a good explanation.

I have no station so don't know if my temperatures are going up or down.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Theres a blanket of low cloud out there now, thats really not helping temps.
    The temp here has risen and stalled at 0.6C

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

0.6c still, but it was the same temp this time last night.

Damo9090 wrote: »
    Frost is getting sharper here by the minute.

Strange temperature rises, I'm sure Snowbie will give a good explanation.

I have no station so don't know if my temperatures are going up or down.
    From what it looks like is the fog in this part of the world has lifted into low cloud due to the wind freshening up from a NW direction.
    This is now acting as a blanket and preventing radiating cooling.
    The cloud is still low and is not appearing on IR Sat pics so can't say if there is a clearance moving in from the NW, but having said that, the last visible Sat pic had the fog bank moving south and could clear?? Relying on more inland reports for that.

As Mothman is reporting clear skies down there, the mtns are acting as a sponge absorbing moisture and drying out the air, noticed in his Dp. Also there is enough wind to mix up the air that radiating cooling can't occur but there is also a katabatic wind that actually warms up as it moves down from the mtns when the wind is stronger overall. As MM also mentioned when the wind turns more a north direction, the Dublin city warmth travels south. When my wind is SW here the same affect happens as i'm on the NE side of Dublin city.

My max of 1.3C is under threat now as temp is back upto 0.7C.

• Advertisement

hovering just below zero here in partial cloud cover
    -0.2 currently
    calm

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

0C here now, the warmest its been all day now, im very surprised I was expecting it to be around -2 now considering it was -1 all day long, Im not sure its going to be as cold tonight as it was last night. The frost and fog have lifted somewhat as well. The garden has less frost on it now than it did all day long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Gonzo wrote: »
    0C here now, the warmest its been all day now, im very surprised I was expecting it to be around -2 now considering it was -1 all day long, Im not sure its going to be as cold tonight as it was last night. The frost and fog have lifted somewhat as well. The garden has less frost on it now than it did all day long

An odd day and evening for sure. Black ice and frost here one minute then it rains on top of it. Either one or the other for me, not both together as the roads are absolutely lethal. Folks, if you are out driving tonight, be cautious and carefull, Ice could turn up anywhere due to the fog and showers today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

We had snow earlier about 0400 GMT.

Still hasn't melted.
    1.5c and steady here atm.

Temp back down to 0.5C
    Wind backing NW to NNW
    Cloud now more broken

Sound advice Pat, with all the talk of low temps around, travelling be lethal on the back roads especially with black ice and low visibility. They actually gritted the roads around here last night.

We had snow earlier about 0400 GMT.

Still hasn't melted.
    1.5c and steady here atm.

1c here now.

For some reason after I stayed out from 2000 - 2310 last night i could go out now and stay out. Weird!

0.4C now.

Back up to 1.5

Down to 1c again!!

I want it to freeze dammit ;):) :rolleyes: :D :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

its wet and windy here in dongeal, no sign of frost.

1c :(

I was out earlier to get a takeaway, it actually felt bearable outside. Like it was threatening to get mild :eek:. My old man reckons that as things stood earlier, it was too cold for it to snow and that it needs to get milder for things to precipitate. I wonder is he right..:confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

shamwari wrote: »
    I was out earlier to get a takeaway, it actually felt bearable outside. Like it was threatening to get mild :eek:. My old man reckons that as things stood earlier, it was too cold for it to snow and that it needs to get milder for things to precipitate. I wonder is he right..:confused:

Too cold to snow? Is that not like . . . a myth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Snow only occurs at certain temps/relative humidity.

No ice on the car, thin but continuous cloud cover.

Mike

Mostly below freezing here.It dipped a couple of decimal points above briefly at times.
    Currently hovering around -1c

Not necessarily Sierra Oscar. Dad reckons that although it has been very cold,there has been zero moisture in the air, and fog apart, it has been very dry as well as cold. He reckons it needs an influx of slightly warmer and moister air to kick things off. The sort of thing a change in wind direction just might bring.

shamwari wrote: »
    The air can be too cold to hold moisture so it can be too cold for it to snow at -40C. The air is cooled so much that it cannot hold moisture.

The South pole usually gets 3 inches of snow per year. The rest is snow been whipped up by strong winds creating the effect of blizzards.

This thread is quite popular today :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Temp down to 0.8c now.

Advertisement