Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current Weather Conditions - November 2008

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,518 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

It could never be too cold to snow in Ireland, heavy snow is quite possible in air masses as cold as -25 C given the right meteorological set-up. Below -25 C the air won't hold enough moisture for more than light snow, so yes there is such a thing as "too cold to snow" (much) but you're never going to be that cold in Ireland.

What's happened so far to prevent snow (in most places) is a lack of either frontal lift or sea-effect streamers with a moisture source. Snow is not going to just start falling out of a cold air mass unless one of those two mechanisms is available.

Another limiting factor in western Ireland is the source of showers over a relatively warm Atlantic (10-12 C) that brings in a surface layer with the showers warmed up over the ocean. This is keeping the precip falling through 1-3 C air that melts any falling snow or hail to give sea-effect rain showers. That process is fairly delicate and some streamers will produce hail or snow.

It looks to me as though better conditions for at least some snow will develop late tonight and through the day Sunday as a trough develops and slightly colder air presses south from western Scotland. This may lead to some more active snow streamers and inland convective showers that can drop snow tomorrow. Monday also looks better than today has been.

There will be some snow reports tomorrow, I hope. But not from me, I've got 11 degrees and rain here, so not even close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Temp was back up to +0.6C at 20.20, then has dived to -3.5C since
    -3.2C atm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Have a look at this: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/satpics/latest_uk_ir.html

If you run the animated sequence, the low in Biscay appears to be drifting north as it "wrap around" is crossing the UK and heading west towards us. Any comment / opinions on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

is there a site i can find the current temp in my location?or do i need a termomitor(spelling).
    any chance of snow this week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

shamwari wrote: »
    Have a look at this: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/satpics/latest_uk_ir.html

If you run the animated sequence, the low in Biscay appears to be drifting north as it "wrap around" is crossing the UK and heading west towards us. Any comment / opinions on this?
    What does that mean?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

barnicles wrote: »
    What does that mean?

That low in Biscay might push a weather front westward towards us. I might be wrong on this, hence my call for someone elses opinion on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

I can report that the the sky has cleared again in far north Co Dublin. for the moment at least.:)

Currently 0.2C, it peaked at 0.7C under the low cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

demakinz wrote: »
    is there a site i can find the current temp in my location?or do i need a termomitor(spelling).
    any chance of snow this week?

Where abouts are you demakinz? If you are near some of the other guys whom have weather stations online that'd be a help.

Try here also, might be one of these places near you perhaps:
    http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

As for a chance of snow this week, I think the odds are slowly evaporationg.......or freezing in this case :p

Currently 0.4c here.

im in edenderry bout 40 miles from most stations.not to worry!!!

im in edenderry bout 40 miles from most stations.not to worry!!!

http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp
    On MetEireanns site Mullingar is closest to Edenderry,about 13 miles in a straight line. Casement might be next, about 25 miles.

Also..

http://www.nra.ie/RoadWeatherInfo/Map/data/htm/WeatherTable.htm
    The NRA site is down at the moment,but Im sure there are a number of stations there that are close to you. Newbridge for instance is about 15miles from Edenderry in a straight line. Mullingar is there also. :)

Meanwhile.. Its back down to 0.0c here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Any one know the rough temps for balsbridge from 5:30-7:30?

I was waiting out side for Top Gear live(:cool:), and sweet jesus it was cold.

thanks never knew there was stations at newbridge or mullingar..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

thanks never knew there was stations at newbridge or mullingar..
    Keep in mind our network too here. There may be stations in the near future close to you also.

Lets hope Santa brings some more weather stations for folk from around the country for Christmas.:)

snowbie have you been studying the weather for long?
    im just wondering whats the hottest or coldest it has been in ireland in recent years last 10 years or so?
    it doesnt seem to be as cold or hot(in summer) as it did when i was in primery school.mid 90s.
    its it global warming or just hightined sences as a child

thanks for the links btw

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

-1.4°C here.

-2.5°C and dropping

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

+0.6c atm. Only managed -0.6c overnight.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    +0.6c atm.
    Well for you, it's -3.1°C here.

Been above zero since midnight except for one hour when wind calmed. Been quite breeze with a mean of 6mph since midnight. The mean for yesterday was less than one mph.
    Overnight min -4.0C, 0.1C lower than previous night
    Grass min -10.8C, 0.1C higher than previous night.

0.8C atm
    Dp -1.7C
    No cloud.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

hellboy99 wrote: »

Oh yeah...great for me. Thanks :p

Temp has dropped here, flirting with 0.0c as holes in fog/cloud open and close.

• Advertisement

Mothman wrote: »
    Been above zero since midnight except for one hour when wind calmed. Been quite breeze with a mean of 6mph since midnight. The mean for yesterday was less than one mph.
    Overnight min -4.0C, 0.1C lower than previous night
    Grass min -10.8C, 0.1C higher than previous night.

0.8C atm
    Dp -1.7C
    No cloud.
    Ditto except above freezing slightly since about 2am.
    Strong NW breeze registering at 15mph at times on the aws which is sheltered from that direction so it could well have been gusting above 20 to 25mph at times (it sounded like it)

With an average temp of 0 to 0.5c at the time,I wouldn't have liked that.

Currently +0.6c with a light NW breeze.

Ground frozen rock solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Just noticed data was not uploading to website.
    Has been below freezing since 0200.
    Temp at -0.8C atm
    Min of -0.9C
    Clear with no fog
    Also another frosty wonderland.

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Is there sun on your sensor, +11.8C at 10:13am?

4C here with cirrus moving up from SW

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭homersimpson

Cold and Frosty

First time this winter the car windows were frozen over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bright morning but no frost overnight (the only stuff is what didn't thaw yesterday)

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

This morning there's no fog but I think there's what they call 'Rime' on all of the trees. It a relatively thick layer of frost and it's on each twig. But everytime there's a slight breeze loads of it falls and it sounds like hail hitting the ground. No idea what the minimum temp was last night as thermo doesn't keep records anymore.

rc28 wrote: »
    This morning there's no fog but I think there's what they call 'Rime' on all of the trees. It a relatively thick layer of frost and it's on each twig. But everytime there's a slight breeze loads of it falls and it sounds like hail hitting the ground. No idea what the minimum temp was last night as thermo doesn't keep records anymore.

Sounds like rime frost all right - conditions would have been perfect for it with freezing fog and a light breeze. It must be 20 years since I saw rime frost (also in Co. Meath).

+1.3c here at the moment with bits of cloud. If the cloud sticks around it might be a colder day today than yesterday (max. of +2.7c yesterday).

Mothman wrote: »
    Is there sun on your sensor, +11.8C at 10:13am?
    Yes, clear sky here, looks like I'm going to have to move it to the side wall of the house.

1.9C, overnight low of -1.1C

No fog, wall to wall sunshine. :cool:
    Frost holding in the shade, but melting anywhere in direct sunlight.

The winds is very light here this morning, much lighter than yesterday. This is rather odd for this location, usually theres very little shelter here from any sort of NW'ly or N'ly. Hope it stays that way.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

1C, very sunny and frosty. Frost has melted away from the shade and ice/frost falling from the trees/branchs

Advertisement