Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheist why live?

Options
  • 01-11-2008 1:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

My question to an atheist is: What is the end goal of an atheist who lives a good moral life?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

If you're about to draw your last breath and you can look back and sincerely say that you have led a good moral life is that not enough? Your question seems strangely weighted to me, as if living a good moral life deserves some reward.

When I die I hope to look back with a smile on all of the experiences I've had, the family I've made, the friends, the dreams and plans I've shared with others and all together just the the enjoyment I got out of life. I'll die happy if I can do that. Especially if my life has been productive in some small way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I think if you're living your life with some ultimate goal in mind, you're wasting it. Life is what happens in between, right?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

My goal would be to have lived a good and moral life. Maybe to have spawed a few good and moral sprogs along the way too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Sometimes it's more about the journey than the destination.

Amusingly, it is implied that the original poster's response would be "to get into heaven", whereas many atheists would say "for goodness' sake".

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Like in football as a child, It's not about winning it's the taking part that counts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

mayordenis wrote: »
    Like in football as a child, It's not about winning it's the taking part that counts.

If heaven is like winning, does god pick a 'man of the match'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Hard to say really.

For the most part I live a "moral" life because if I do not, I will go to jail or be ostracised from society.

I guess that's where we get our morals from: they're an unspoken set of guidelines that evolved organically to keep society ticking over efficiently. We're born with an innate capacity to aquire morals, and within our current culture morality prohibits rape, murder, etc.

I live a good moral life because these are the guidelines that have been instilled in me since I was a nipper, and they've come to exert a strong hold on me. I'm not sure I can "lose" them any more than I can lose the language I've acquired (English).

Dunno how to explain it really...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

S_Truth wrote: »
    My question to an atheist is: What is the end goal of an atheist who lives a good moral life?
    Satisfaction of having lived a 'good moral life' without the need to believe in something that doesn't exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭extopia

To die happy, secure in the knowledge that life has been lived well and fully; that it has been an end in itself, not a transitional phase.

GothPunk wrote: »
    If heaven is like winning, does god pick a 'man of the match'?

It will always be Jesus, even if he didn't play. We'll be expected to put him on our shoulders and take him on a victory march while singing his praises, even though we know its bullshit.

Of course if you get sick of that you could follow a certain archangel's example and speak up...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,352 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The confidence in knowing that Life wasn't just another test, and that I lived it exactly how I wanted without feeling judged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 S_Truth

So really there is no reason for an atheist to live. To live for a moral life is useless because the end result is the same as living a destructive life; death. To say I live for the next generation is just as pointless because there end result is the same just death. All the stuff done inbetween birth and death are pointless because you are just living to die and all the accomplishments are just a waste that leads no where. Furthermore death is unperdictable and it can take you at any time. Some would say it is predictable, but some people who live healthy lives die for no apparent reason. Ultimately death is not controlable. Also for atheist call things that they cannot understand supernatural. I say to this we have a lack of knowledge to understand what was classfied as supernatural. So one comes to a conclusion that our thinking is limited. If we don't understand what is going on this does not make the supernatural supernatural, but a normal event. To benchmark this to what we understand is being ignorant and not finding the truth. If death is uncontrolable, which is a force of energy that kills us without a notice. so is there a force behind this energy or is the energy just itself, which man trys to control but fails. Also we have goals in life to achieve, but these goals in life are useless for the end result is death. Lastly, why have goals in between birth and death if no matter what one does the end result is death? No satisfaction just man left clueless at the end with death to take away the man. A logical person would as this question because without answering it the whole of man as I described about is useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭lisaface

I think if you're living your life with some ultimate goal in mind, you're wasting it. Life is what happens in between, right?

*high fives!* I 100% agree.

Whats that old popular saying, about life, being the background to what we do.. or something. I'm not very good with remembering things like that ha.

Yeah, I believe life is what happens in between all highs and lows you get.

I'm not very moral either though, so I'm kinda ****ed..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Lastly, why have goals in between birth and death if no matter what one does the end result is death?

Because we want to.

Is god, and the fear of what would be to come, the only thing that's stopping you from going on a murderous rampage ?

So really there is no reason for an atheist to live. To live for a moral life is useless because the end result is the same as living a destructive life; death. To say I live for the next generation is just as pointless because there end result is the same just death. All the stuff done inbetween birth and death are pointless because you are just living to die and all the accomplishments are just a waste that leads no where. Furthermore death is unperdictable and it can take you at any time. Some would say it is predictable, but some people who live healthy lives die for no apparent reason. Ultimately death is not controlable. Also for atheist call things that they cannot understand supernatural. I say to this we have a lack of knowledge to understand what was classfied as supernatural. So one comes to a conclusion that our thinking is limited. If we don't understand what is going on this does not make the supernatural supernatural, but a normal event. To benchmark this to what we understand is being ignorant and not finding the truth. If death is uncontrolable, which is a force of energy that kills us without a notice. so is there a force behind this energy or is the energy just itself, which man trys to control but fails. Also we have goals in life to achieve, but these goals in life are useless for the end result is death. Lastly, why have goals in between birth and death if no matter what one does the end result is death? No satisfaction just man left clueless at the end with death to take away the man. A logical person would as this question because without answering it the whole of man as I described about is useless.

Your post makes no sense, you didn't change the font right, and if you're living your life for the sole purpose of "winning", then you can make no claim to being a "moral" person anyway.

Overheal wrote: »
    The confidence in knowing that Life wasn't just another test, and that I lived it exactly how I wanted without feeling judged.

No you are being judged by others around you. They want to force rules on you that you don't like and this limits you from being who you are. What we humans want to be is who we are from the inside, but society constantly judges us.

Ultimately atheist is a blind faith because your good is for no reason because at the end you die. This good has no ultimate reason to be practiced. This Good is just following a mind that leads to no where and even our mind is limited so really our faith and reasoning in our mind leads us no where, which is the ultimate faith that our mind tells us we are doing right, but ultimately since our thinking is limited we are not 100% we are right. This uncertainty leaves us vulnerable and leaves an emptiness in the atheist. All of life’s successes were for nothing. To say others benefit from your successes is false because ultimately they end up at the same place as you no matter how successful they are and that is dead and no where.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

This guy is obviously a troll. Let the thread die.

Your post makes no sense, you didn't change the font right, and if you're living your life for the sole purpose of "winning", then you can make no claim to being a "moral" person anyway.

Actually the moral purpose of life is to win. You see this in sports, schools, in tv ratings, Government elections. Our whole life is spent on winning to get some satisfaction that we have accomplished something in life. And this accomplishment becomes pointless because the end result for every human as atheist say is death. Everything in between is useless for we are just living to die.

This guy is obviously a troll. Let the thread die.

What made you call me a troll for you have said it in anger and why cannot you control your anger. What good is it to be angry at a person. All you do is block your thoughts from following freely and hinder yourself from advancing in understanding. Also you just gave into that anger, if you had not then you would have not called me a troll. meaning you are not consciously aware of what you have just said. And to be subconscious is a dangers way of life.

lisaface wrote: »
    *high fives!* I 100% agree.

Whats that old popular saying, about life, being the background to what we do.. or something. I'm not very good with remembering things like that ha.

Yeah, I believe life is what happens in between all highs and lows you get.

I'm not very moral either though, so I'm kinda ****ed..

Then for you there is no reason to sit here and talk, I say go around killing others its satisfying and one has control over others. The end result is the same for a moral and a destructive lifestyle; death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,329 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I already have a personality. But thanks anyway.

Not your ornery onager

An atheist moral purpose of life makes no sense whatsoever.

esel wrote: »
    I already have a personality. But thanks anyway.

Your personality lead you no where be good or bad. At the end you die and the personality which you hold on too is useless just as your life is.

why have goals in between birth and death if no matter what one does the end result is death? No satisfaction just man left clueless at the end with death to take away the man. A logical person would ask this question because without answering it the whole of man as I described is useless. And this makes an atheist life useless

Then for you there is no reason to sit here and talk, I say go around killing others its satisfying and one has control over others. The end result is the same for a moral and a destructive lifestyle; death.

Okay, maybe i've... at least one then -- lol Yeah, i don't believe in violence.. hmm yeah moral there then, no killing randoms.. - i think i mean't to say, my morals are pretty ****ed up ie; i may as well have none.

If that makes any sense?

HEY! don't bash the path to destruction, it can be fun... for a while :D ha

why have goals in between birth and death if no matter what one does the end result is death? No satisfaction just man left clueless at the end with death to take away the man. A logical person would ask this question because without answering it the whole of man as I described is useless. And this makes an atheist life useless

I disagree - From an early age, i choose not to believe in 'thy mercyful god' [without a fellow human forming me...] and my lifes not been pointless thus far... I have enjoyed it [okay ive had the **** times, but hey thats life as the saying goes] , sitting back and laughing as two religions or more fight over power.

Religion and Politics, both formed for the same purpose.. POWER.. and as I may have been brought up religiously in the latter, its been fan-****ing-tastic.

I need to go find the philosophical forum.. maybe its the drink, but i'm feeling rather deep tonight [no pun intended for the dirty c*nts on here!] hmmm

what was i saying oh yes- my life.. ohyes, everybodys life is pointless, im contradicting myself now, but feck it.. um yeah.. to me life is a game, a game of survival until... you cannot fight no more.

Okay so its not apart of original thread makers question, but is KNOWLEDGE really power, really? like cmon.. I think with politics its quite clearly proven it ISN'T.. not just our own government, but america.. one of the most powerful countries, yet they voted in a muppet :(

Seemingly f*cking around [and up ur relations] and acting dumb are the only ways of being powerful these days.

F*ck killing people for oil and what not , lets all be dumb + we'll soon be very powerful woo!! [/sarcasm]

Does anyone else get the impression that this guy has lost/is losing his faith and is finding it confusing and painful? The lady doth protest too much, comes to mind.

S Truth, why is it so hard to accept that an atheist can simply enjoy life without worrying about what happens at the end?

Even for the internet, this thread is baffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Ugh, this has turned into a philosophical rant because of the OP. He or She seems to think they have found this eureka moment and uses it against atheists.

The ideas you bring up are relevant to everyone in society, not just atheists so i don't see why you come here with your existentialist depressing rants when they can be extented to everyone on this earth. Take it to personal issues and don't forget to take your happy pills tomorrow!!

• Advertisement

Zillah wrote: »
    Does anyone else get the impression that this guy has lost/is losing his faith and is finding it confusing and painful? The lady doth protest too much, comes to mind.

S Truth, why is it so hard to accept that an atheist can simply enjoy life without worrying about what happens at the end?

I have not losted or losing my faith. All I am doing is asking simple questions, which you guys are having a hard time to answer.

The only thing you guys have to say is this guy is this and that.

Atheist do wonder what will happen at the end, its just they are in denial of it. Humans are skeptic people and are always wondering what will happen next and to say you dont care what will happen then why do you care what is going on right now. Why be moral when there is no reason to be more. Skeptism is what drives a human to understand more and accomplish more, pushing the limits. And you cant say this is not true because look at science advancements atheist cling to science as the truth and to prove everything. But what is the point if you die at the end you would be the same without finding all of this.

What I have come to is atheist are scared to move beyond this world and find other distractions like drinking alcohol to fill the empty hole of not knowing what will happen to them after death. They avoid what they cannot understand because then the pride of the person is hurt. Which is the only thing what an atheist as because they do not believe in the higher power. God for me is nto a person who sits in the sky and judges neither is he a person nor a object. It is that energy that force that drives this whole universe and to be one with this God (energy) is to live absolutely consciously and to work on the soul that yearns for the higher power.

Ask yourself why do you have a yearning to live and a yearning for other things in life when for you death is the ultimate result. The things we strive for in life are limited with limited success and happiness. This energy is not limited by this world or universe. So this is why I choose not to be an atheist because an atheist limits himself not seeing we humans are not limited, when absorbed into this energy.

Advertisement