Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb is giving broadband away?

Options
  • 01-11-2008 10:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭

This is either a mistake or some pretty amazing pricing. At the time of writing, if you go to http://www.digiweb.ie/home/metro/ you'll find 5Mbps for €35 a quarter, 8Mbps for €40 a month, and 12Mbps for €60 a month. The caps are still rubbish, though. The ordering system knows nothing about these new services and presents the old speeds and prices.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No mention of New Customers Only*

*First 3 months only. 12 month minimum contract type shenanigans

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

The new packages come into effect on Monday I think...its not a mistake afaik..

Edit: i think the first package is €34.99 per month but billed quarterly..

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

it's odd that they are introducing new prices when they have just left staff go and more will be going soon they just havent told them as yet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I just noticed the prices have gone up also and some changes in the package speeds.

I'm on metro home, does this mean i'll be paying 40pm now? I just ran speedtest and here's what i got:
    350028604.png
    And 670-680KB/sec from heanet
    thats neither 5mb or 8mb

EDIT: Just of the phone, I'm getting 2 months free at 8mb, yay I can exceed my 30gig cap even faster now! Then I get the option to pay more for the home package or less for the basic package, or thats how I under stood it - not happy at all about that. Aren't broadband prices meant to go down and not up? 100euro cancellation fee if i cancel before my contract is up.

They spotted the error :(

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

Usage caps are ridiculous tbh. 20gb on a 5mb connection? Makes no sense.

It's crap, 32gig over the last 30 days and your capped to 2x dialup speed or there abouts until your below 28gig again.

I'm not happy that i'll have to chose to stay on the home package and pay 5euro more per month to get to my 30gig limit quicker or pay less for a slower connection and a lower cap.

My 512 connection with bt years ago had a 20gig cap

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

jozi wrote: »
    EDIT: Just of the phone, I'm getting 2 months free at 8mb, yay I can exceed my 30gig cap even faster now! Then I get the option to pay more for the home package or less for the basic package, or thats how I under stood it - not happy at all about that. Aren't broadband prices meant to go down and not up? 100euro cancellation fee if i cancel before my contract is up.

So does this mean that existing customers will need to pay more too? I am paying 35 right now, not interested in the useless speed increase when my cap is so low. Or will they stay on the old pricing?

it's pretty amazing that Digiweb has the guts to increase the price, when UPC offers 20Mbs + 200Gb data limit. I guess that's what you can do if you are the only provider (for certain areas where Eircon or UPC ain't there). But I guess all people in the cities will move away now? Or do you think the ping times are good enough for some people to stay with Digiweb?

From what I understtod there will be a letter sent out towards the end of the year about it.

I'm in the city but can't get NTL, they have been upgrading in the area so might not be to long.

I'm the same as you, don't care about the speed increase, the cap needs increasing.

Maybe that is the problem: could it be that they are already losing customers to UPC in the cities... ?

Only way to keep the same profit margin is to increase the price for existing customers - that can't flee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

looks like they have made some more changes to their site since yesterday. they have scrapped the 1 and 3 mb connections. The basic package now is €35 per month. They have also made some 'mad' changes to their normal wireless services. installation is now €250 it used to be €99....I think and a 1 Mb connection is €19.99 **confused** :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

lol, what a bargain, NOT

I was thinking of changing recently as i only get 4mb after the Eircon upgrade( im on utv unlimited ) but those crappy caps DodgyWeb have are nuts, i bought and downloaded( via Steam ) Crysis Warhead weeks ago - 10Gb download followed by GTA Vice City 4Gb download not to mention all the patches etc for the other stuff. Id clock up 20-30Gigs easily just on Steam

I'm on the 1 mb service so they must be really annoyed! :D I imagine they want peeps like me to upgrade or piss off.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

mike65 wrote: »
    I'm on the 1 mb service so they must be really annoyed! :D I imagine they want peeps like me to upgrade or piss off.

Mike

ISPs really love people on 1Mbps packages. Actually the majority of DSL users are on 1M Down / 128k Up. Metro gives better up speed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Watty, can you shed any light on whether the caps will be going up to match the increase in speed?

jozi wrote: »

I don't think any company can ask you to pay more AND ask for a 100 euro cancellation fee when you don't agree with the new terms but IANAL.

Called Digiweb as well, seem it will be introduced in January indeed. I also checked what cancellation terms they have, but for me it's only 1 month. I have been a customer for 3 years.
    watty wrote: »
    ISPs really love people on 1Mbps packages. Actually the majority of DSL users are on 1M Down / 128k Up. Metro gives better up speed.

If ISP's really love those customers, why is there no provision anymore for customers like mike65? A year ago, the basic Digiweb package was 20 euro's for phone+ 1Mb/256up 10Gb data cap. If you would buy 10 Gb extra, you would have to pay 6 euro extra to give you 20Gb. Still 9 euro cheaper than the basic package now. Yes it is faster, but on a months basis, it DOESN'T matter. You have about 29 days out of 30 left to download your total cap, it takes only a day to reach it (with the new speeds less then half a day actually) ...

The reported price increase for the installation fee baffles me as well.
    I couldn't find it though, where does it say 250 euros?
    If you ask for a cancellation fee, it seems to me that the installation fee does not have to be so high, and it acts as a barrier for new customers.
    Really weird? Is Digiweb trying to finance some new hardware that makes higher speeds (oh no! that's what we are waiting for!!) or can handle higher data rates (yes, please!) ? Wishful thinking I guess, but I keep hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

So once again, Digiweb Metro is the only residential broadband product offering to increase in cost. That's the second time now (or is it more)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Is it not cheaper per Mbps, though?

cgarvey wrote: »
    So once again, Digiweb Metro is the only residential broadband product offering to increase in cost. That's the second time now (or is it more)?

Looking back at my bills here, but I think it I still pay the same for Metro Home as 3 years ago. And they actually increased the speed (not of much use) but I can't say I lost or gained anything up till now.

The basic package I think has increased twice now (from 20 to 25 and now to 35 if I recall correctly). This is the first time for a price increase for me.

Here are some Wayback machine's links

Digiweb Nov 2005

Digiweb Dec 2006

Digiweb Nov 2007

I just don't understand the whole thing at all, if anything the price to run your network should become cheaper and cheaper over time. How does Digiweb reach the new speeds? Did they have to invest in new hardware??? My transmitter/receiver + modem hasn't changed in 3 years. Just imagine how many customers they would have gained from offering higher uploads 2 or 3 years ago (my upload will go from 512 to 1024 apparently = more people can run a server fast enough + good for working from home)

If these speed increases didn't require hardware upgrades, Digiweb would be the most badly lead company I've ever seen. Having a goose that can lay golden eggs (12 Mb/sec down, 1Mb up, long time ago opposite 2 Mb max from Eircon at the same time) and then waiting until the goose is too old to lay eggs.

Does anyone have an explanation? Digiweb is a private company I guess? So no need to publish financial figures?

cgarvey wrote: »

Looking back at my bills here, but I think it I still pay the same for Metro Home as 3 years ago. And they actually increased the speed (not of much use) but I can't say I lost or gained anything up till now.

The basic package I think has increased twice now (from 20 to 25 and now to 35 if I recall correctly). This is the first time for a price increase for me.

Here are some Wayback machine's links

Digiweb Nov 2005

Digiweb Dec 2006

Digiweb Nov 2007

I just don't understand the whole thing at all, if anything the price to run your network should become cheaper and cheaper over time. How does Digiweb reach the new speeds? Did they have to invest in new hardware??? My transmitter/receiver + modem hasn't changed in 3 years. Just imagine how many customers they would have gained from offering higher uploads 2 or 3 years ago (my upload will go from 512 to 1024 apparently = more people can run a server fast enough + good for working from home)

If these speed increases didn't require hardware upgrades, Digiweb would be the most badly lead company I've ever seen. Having a goose that can lay golden eggs (12 Mb/sec down, 1Mb up, long time ago opposite 2 Mb max from Eircon at the same time) and then waiting until the goose is too old to lay eggs.

Does anyone have an explanation? Digiweb is a private company I guess? So no need to publish financial figures?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

I just got there mail today. I'm on the 6meg metro but only getting about a meg most nights because of "contention".
    So there gonna charge me 5euro more for the extra 2meg.What a load of pure s***e! I dont want that,i want something closer to the speed i pay for.This is the straw that broke the camels back for me.I'll be canceling my so called cr@p service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Ill be cancelling mine shortly. Not happy with the speed/price increase and the cap staying the same. Off to UPC i go!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭pencil

gone to thread

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

What's up with UPC? Just rang them up to find out if 3 addresses could get the TV/Phone/BB package and none could, in Bray, Dun Laoghaire and Ballsbridge. So where is it actually available and how long will it be until it's available in the rest of the places?

How much does the basic NTL package cost usually for just the regular package (sky news, bbc, ch4 and all them)? Just trying to see if it'd work out cheaper to combine them all, but I'd need free anytime local/national calls too so it'd be €10 extra for that I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭DHFrame

I am going to have to pay the cancellation fee and get away from digiweb. I am goin over my 30GB cap half way through the month!! And I didnt know this until I spoke to them but the upload is in the cap aswell. AARGGH. No wonder I am reaching it so quickly. And what is the point in making it faster for me. Thats why they have made me faster, gets me to my limit quicker. Know what I mean......

Come on Digiweb. tut tut tut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

DHFrame wrote: »
    And I didnt know this until I spoke to them but the upload is in the cap aswell.

Thats a common mistake by a lot of people. But it should say somewhere that they are both part of the cap as its the same with all other isp's as far as i know.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭DHFrame

Can anyone explain this 'Rolling Month' system Digiweb have? I dont get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

DHFrame wrote: »
    Can anyone explain this 'Rolling Month' system Digiweb have? I dont get it.

The traffic you used every day for the last thirty days is added up and if you are over you limit then you are restricted.....

Advertisement