Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

South Africa

• 01-11-2008 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Just a quick question.

Excuse my ignorance but I am not very well informed about how these foreign satellites work. This idea could be a bit crazy but I'll ask anyhow.

I have a holiday residence in South Africa where I am a subscriber to their satellite DStv. Its pretty decent and you get all the football on a Saturday in English.

I don't suppose if I brought the box and card back to Ireland and hooked it up to a dish pointing in the right direction I'd be able to pick up a signal.

We are probably too far away but if anyone can confirm that I haven't a clue what I am on about, that would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

I managed to pick-up DSTV in the Middle East. Not sure if that helps you or not though :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You can't get any SA beamed signals in Ireland. Probably not even in Spain.

The ME is quite a bit more southernly. Bits of it border Africa.

You can get some ME and North African services in Ireland, but there is plenty you can't either.

It's not actually the distance but the direction of the beam. Some of the Satellites for S.A. are actually closer to Ireland than the Satellite Sky uses. All are on an imaginary circle 22,500Miles (about 45,000km) above the equator spaced every 1 to 4 degrees. Satellites less than 3 degrees apart (but more than 0.5 degrees) usually have beams in different directions to avoid interference. Satellites less than 0.5 degree apart appear as if in the same place on dishes up to 80cm. At 2m dish they will be separate.

Advertisement