Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

cheap oil change for polo?

Options
  • 01-11-2008 11:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

My 2002 Polo ( new model) is due for an oil change..anybody knows a good reasonable garage just for oil change and how much would it cost? or even if it would be cheaper to buy the oil and have it changed,how much would it cost then?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

You could consider changing it yourself. that will reduce the cost alot.

I dont know if you have seen these books that go into detail about everythinga bout different cars. you can get them in blanchardstown in the big car shop beside the KFC.
    I know where to pick it up in dublin too... but dont know the street names

Its the Hayes books ! (just happened to see one on the free section)

http://astore.amazon.co.uk/haynes-car-manuals-21/detail/1844256081
    thats the thing im talkinga bout

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Changing the oil yourself instead of getting a garage to do it could mean €30 versus €120 saving €90. You would be better off to get someone to show you how it's done if you never done an oil change before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

or practise on someone elses car ?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Samhail is referring to the Haynes manual in the second post which are available from Halfords as well as Easons, etc.
    CHanging you own oil is a failrly easy job and requires:
    * a spanner (to open the sump nut) - size may vary
    * container to collect the oil
    * a washer to put on the sump nut
    * oil
    * axle stands - don't even consider crawling under your car with only the jack to support it - the jack could easily move with you under the car!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

kbannon wrote: »
    Samhail is referring to the Haynes manual in the second post which are available from Halfords as well as Easons, etc.
    * oil
    * axle stands - don't even consider crawling under your car with only the jack to support it - the jack could easily move with you under the car!
    Don't forget the oil filter these can be tricky to remove depending what car you have you will need socket with a chain, these can be bought at any motor factors. When putting on the new filter put a small amount of oil on the seal. Some people only change the filter every second oil change.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

kbannon wrote: »
    * oil

you must also dispose of the used oil & filter

we now have to show documentation of proper disposal of oil & filters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 amibahabri

Thanks all for your inputs..I think am gonna go ahead and change it myself,I was wondering if anybody got an idea where to dispose the used oil in Dublin?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Google for your local civic amenity - most of them take oil!

Advertisement