Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FreeSat Question

• 01-11-2008 11:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭

Guys/ gals, I would appreciate some help on this.

I have a Free-To -Air setup for about 5/6 years witha Pace decoder. Recently we have been having problems with connections etc within the Pace decoder and I decided to change because of this.

I bought a Humax FoxSat HD last weekend but it turns out the the listings are different to the Pace ones which was SKY. I thought that the FreeSat was the same. There is not a major difference but Channel 5 in the UK and a number of the music channels are gone from this one and the interactive games arent there either. I am under pressure to change back to the old one as the kids watch Neighbours, music etc.

Can anyone tell me if there is a different decoder that I should have got? The HD channel is certainly nice but there is only the BBC test one at the moment.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

That one you got won't get channel five as it's encrypted so no neighbours I'm afraid unless you can watch it on RTÉ.
    Also it's not aimed at the UK market as such so you must do your own channel list on it via a favourites menu.

What you should have got was one of these available in curry's now I believe or just a freesat box in NI.
    Not sure if it has Ch5 though.

Your pace box was by the sounds of it a sky digibox with a FTV [free to view] card in it.It was the card that was giving access to ch5.

Theres plenty of them on ebay so you could get one thta way and just pull the sat cable out of the fox and put it into the digibox.

Heres one for example

http://cgi.ebay.ie/SKY-SATELLITE-RECEIVER-PACE-DIGI-BOX-DIGIBOX-AND-REMOTE_W0QQitemZ370099824092QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item370099824092&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

I hope you kept your old box as you will need the card out of it!!

Also the card will need probably to be left in the new box for 24hrs as sometimes when out of an active box for a while they get cut off..but leaving them in a hooked up box for 24hrs fixes that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Thanks a million for that response, yes I have a card that I got a few years ago. I had mistakenly thought that the card was no longer needed. I did keep the box etc, in fact it is re-installed and working ok, the problems we had before are not there at the moment.
    I also noticed that the volume on the Humax was way lower that the terrestrial or DVD connection so I will probably return the box.

Thanks also for the link, the thing is I thought that I was buying the best option Freesat. I had thought of EBAY this morning and should have gone that route.

I will probably bring the Humax back as I am not happy with the volume. Is there an equivalent to the PACE box that I can get in it's place in Currys (Belfast)? I may try and get a credit note or something for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

Hi dixiefly. You're better off looking at the Satellite forum for news re. Freesat and Sky - that's where all the news is. And there is news - 5 has just gone free to air!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055409174

It's testing at the moment, so you should be able to tune in the Humax to get it - I have one too, so I'll be doing that later today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Thanks Popelo, I have taken out the Humax and put back in my old Pace box. I also had a problem with volume so may replace it with a standard SD box.

Thanks again.

Advertisement