Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brendan O'Brien on Newstalk

• 01-11-2008 12:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Does he do anyones elses head in?

When doing a programme like Saturday Edition a well rehearsed script and schedule is surely vital but O'Brien always sounds like he is on the verge of loosing it as he pauses strumbles and bumbles not from one item to another, but within a feature and often within a question put and the reply offered - he often seems only vaguely aware who he has on the line/at the table.

It could be a good programme but at the moment its pretty much unlistenable.

Mike

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I really don't like him as a presenter, I find his style poor. Plus his attempts at humour should really stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

He's good at doing recorded stuff with a script but he's not good at live radio.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

His live radio skills are as awkward as a tinker on a staircase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

He's absolute rubbish. Unfortunately, I do a lot of Saturday morning driving, so am stuck with him!

He can be good when getting stuck into an interview, but his lead up and banter with guests before and after is usually cringe inducing.

I hate when he has yer man Philbin Bowman on to do the papers. He runs rings around Brendan.

There are a lot stronger presenters out there who would do a lot better in that time slot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

humberklog wrote: »
    His live radio skills are as awkward as a tinker on a staircase.
    :confused:

Another strange one??

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Another strange one??

Not really !- caravans tend to be one story :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭Cole

I was just about to start a thread, before mike65 beat me to it, to see if anyone else is as puzzled as me with his presentation skills...obviously you are.

I was listening to it on Saturday, as usual, and was yet again amazed at just how 'all over the place' Brendan is. He is an experienced tv broadcaster, so one would imagine he could be a bit more on top of things on his radio show.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Another strange one??

A bit of a strange one but I was just giving it a run out. It made me laugh when it came to mind. Just as Fulton points out. It comes from the notion that travellers would be rather clumsy on stairs as they'd have very little experience of scaling them.
    A bit like O'Brien's rather autistic fumblings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Indeed, if I could stray a little off topic for uno secundo what about Richard Downes on Morning Irl .

Guy is all over the place, takes ages to ask a question and ties himself up into knots before he formulates his question.

If he was travelling from Dublin to Galway he would go through Caaavan!!!

Listen out for it.

Advertisement