Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes

Options
  • 01-11-2008 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭

I was in Dunnes yesterday after work (the one just down from Bollards I don't know street names) and they had an annoncement playing with their new opening hours from Monday think half 8 till half 11 or something. No Longer 24 hours :(. Guess they are just cutting costs.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Yeah, mustn't be worth their while opening late anymore. It's probably more hassle than it's worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

really? dang, found it quite handy to do my shopping at 3am, o well, even better excuse to drive to Carlow to go to Tescos

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Shame about Dunnes not opening 24 hoursanymore but I could see how it wasn't working.

I see Curry's are opening in Carlow soon!, Carlow is taking all the big stores and then taking all the Kilkenny business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Ah but you don't realize Kilkenny's a local city for local people. You can't allow non-locals shops in

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

ztoical wrote: »
    really? dang, found it quite handy to do my shopping at 3am, o well, even better excuse to drive to Carlow to go to Tescos

Carlow is outdoing KK for retail time and again (except for Tullow st).
    Even small town Tullow has a Tesco now :confused:. And KK coco still deferring the decision on whether Aldi can set up in town. What a pack of morons.

• Advertisement

Namesco wrote: »
    Shame about Dunnes not opening 24 hoursanymore but I could see how it wasn't working.

I see Curry's are opening in Carlow soon!, Carlow is taking all the big stores and then taking all the Kilkenny business

Where? carlow has 3 decent retail parks, KK really only has one :(

Guess their council are just very pro development and business, always have been really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

mfitzy wrote: »
    Where?

Where Homebase is on the Carlow road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

ztoical wrote: »

Tesco's aren't open 24 hours anymore either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Are you sure?

andyman wrote: »

Wasn in it a few weeks ago and was sure I saw a big banner saying open 24 hours. Guess theyre all cutting back now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

andyman wrote: »

according to their website they are - maybe they are planning to change shall ask next time I'm in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

The Tesco where I live changed from being open 24hrs on Monday just gone. It is still showing on the website as being open 24 hours though!

Odd they changed the hours this side of Christmas though.

mick_irl wrote: »
    The Tesco where I live changed from being open 24hrs on Monday just gone. It is still showing on the website as being open 24 hours though!

Odd they changed the hours this side of Christmas though.

I wonder is it a national thing with tesco and dunnes so? Clearly were not making money. Am surprised at the one in Fairgreen not staying 24 hrs, they always made a big deal of that.

Tullamore and Portlaoise are afaik still 24 hours.

What about over in Ardkeen?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 obrien_jimmy

I dunno myself, I know the one I work in is closing at 10pm monday to friday instead of closng at 11pm on thursday and friday. some ppl in the dunnes I work in are claiming their making cut backs, one of which is supposed to be axing our x-mas bonus. Extreme but god knows. hopefully its not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

There is something afoot. There is a big meeting of area managers and apparently a meeting of full-time staff in stores tomorrow morning too. There are all kinds of rumours, from the Christmas bonus not being given this year, to full-time staff getting their hours cut and even that Asda/Wal Mart are buying the company. Wal Mart have tried before, about the time they bought Asda in the UK.

It may be more than just the bonus thing as there is supposed to be an announcement to the media sometime tomorrow too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

I'm after hearing the buyout rumour too. I heard it got some coverage on TV3 news earlier? Any Dunne's staff out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I'm Dunnes staff. We don't know any more than anyone else. We are supposed to be told something tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

Kahless wrote: »
    I'm Dunnes staff. We don't know any more than anyone else. We are supposed to be told something tomorrow.

well according to after hours Dunnes is being sold! so looks like you could be right with the buy out :P

"
    Dunnes Stores to be sold
    Apparently Big announcement tomorrow or Thurday that Dunnes Stores is to be sold to ADSA / Walmart.
    Any Irish owned shops left out there?eek.gif"

Big changes ahead once the yanks take over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 obrien_jimmy

god knows whats going on. I mean they havent confirmed OR denied this take over which in a majority of cases means preety much we will be bought over. Then again dont quote me on that I could be way wrong.

On the news it did mention that staff and union reps SPECULATE that it's a take over or cutback scheme of things.

I hope we know soon cuse im only flexi time up where I am, first thing im doing is joining the union 2moro when i head in. better to have ourselves covered I suppose that way we dont regret it later.

If anyone hears anything keep us posted. I for one am concerned, It's though enough to get a job nowadys without your only source of income going under after 7 years service in the place

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Only one Keano

There may be some truth in this if you read the link - http://www.independent.ie/business/walmart-speculation-is-better-value-512849.html

Advertisement