Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell XPS 600 + GTX 280

Options
  • 01-11-2008 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Having a bit of a problem and hope someone might be able to help me out. I bought myself a GeForce GTX 280 to hopefully upgrade my PC, which is a Delll XPS 600, about 2 years old.

Unfortunately, when I plug the card into the mobo and fire up the machine, I am getting no picture and the light on the back of the card is red.

I am connecting a 6 pin power cable to the 6 pin socket on the graphics card, plus a 6 pin cable through the splitter provided with the card to the 8 pin power socket on the card.

From what I am reading online, the card showing a red light means that it does not have enough power but I am a bit lost as to what I am doing wrong and how to correct it.

If anyone has any experience or thoughts I would greatly appreciate the help.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

What wattage is your psu?

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

when you say a 6 pin to the splitter i hope you mean two 6 pin to the splitter i got my gtx280 working in my xps710 with the 750w psu working no bother.
    just had to re-route some cables to make them reach the gtx.

i used the two 6 pin that supplied my old 8800gtx and plugged them into the 6 pin to 8 pin cable that sorted out the 8 pin connector on the 280gtx.

And for the 6 pin i used the molex to 6 pin i had two molex connectors free
    that sorted out the 6 pin on the 280gtx.

make sure all your cables are nice and tight power up and your good to go.

its a great upgrade from the 8800gtx imho.

farcry2 runs everything maxed with 2xaa @1920x1200 on a 24' monitor.

heres a pic of the cables that came with my card and there the ones i used.
    Gtx280Powerconnectors.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Got this working guys, many thanks to Stephen, solution was exactly as described.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

no problem enjoy all the eye candy.

Advertisement