Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is my price realistic?

Options
  • 01-11-2008 1:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

http://www.cbg.ie/Car_Detail.aspx?ID=2523275

I'm trying to sell a 04 Fiesta at 6950.

It's not the cheapest on the site, but for the year, mileage, and condition I think i've priced it competitively.

The only thing is, it's a 1.4. Which in my opinion is what a car of that size really needs, but do you think i'll struggle to shift it given most of the others are 1.25 thus saving a whopping €100 or therabouts on annual road tax???

I was disappointed to see Carzone charge 40 for a 4 week ad now hence putting it on cbg. First time i've advertised a car, how do people rate CBG versus Carzone? Will i get the same interest on cbg?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Ad looks good, pictures look good. Only point i would make is maybe change the mats on the inside of the car. The muddy mats dont look great in my opinion.

Under usual circumstances, the price would be about right, but you have to remember that it is very difficult to sell cars at the moment, so maybe dropping the price a small bit would help

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Ad looks well presented, will definitely attract the right attention as it includes everything that there should be in an ad - photos of all corners, clocks and a well documented history. Most ads don't include that so you've an advantage on that front. Be prepared to haggle with a buyer though!

I think many people are opting for other alternatives since the recent changes with Carzone, I know since they've changed their prices and then changed their layout I'm moving my ads to CarsIreland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Is it a UK import??

Don't recall a "Flame" model and shouldn't the clock be in Km/h for '04?? 3 door won't be as popular either.

I could be wrong though.

Also for that mileage there's an awful lot of wear on the gearstick, a pet peeve really more than anything.

Ditto on the mats.

I think €5,950 is probably a lot more realistic, though that's not to say it won't eventually sell. Maybe €6,250 open to offers?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,457 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

no mention of the air conditioning in the advert :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

ninty9er wrote: »
    Is it a UK import??

Don't recall a "Flame" model and shouldn't the clock be in Km/h for '04?? 3 door won't be as popular either.

Fairly sure km clocks came in late 04, sept/oct there abouts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Kmph speedo from 2005 onwards. But air conditioning was only standard on the Fiesta Ghia afaik back in 2004. 1.4 might be a bit of a problem though as it means buyers have the option of the bigger Focus with the similar running costs.

Definately mention the air conditioning, it is rare enough to find in a car that size back then.

If your getting no interest then you going to have to drop the price a little at a time until somebody bites. A car is only worth what a buyer is willing to pay for it, not how competitively the seller thinks it's priced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Newcarneeded

Cheers for the help guys.

I've updated the ad to mention the air conditioning, bit of a glaring oversight on my part!

The car is a UK import, but it was bought new in the UK by me- living there at the time - and I then brought it over here and VRT'd it two years ago.

I don't want to say it's a UK import in the ad because I think some people are fearful that the car could have a shady history, wheras I bought the car new in the UK, drove it there for two years and drove it here for two years when I moved home.

Obviously I'll explain that to any potential buyer, but it's easier to communicate that after they've come to view and drive the car and they're interested in a sale and I can show them the servicing invoices from the two years in the UK and then the Irish servicing invoices and the Vehicle Licensing Certificate to prove it's all legit, rather than potentially putting off buyers who might think the car is ex hire or something similar from the UK with an unknown history.

Yeah I think i'll see what interest, if any, I get at that price and then maybe bring it down a bit. I'm hoping that with ono in the ad, serious buyers will still call and view the car with it in their head that they can probably negotiate a discount given the way the market is.

I am a bit worried alright that it'll take time to sell given it's a 1.4. That's a pet peeve of mine alright, if you add up the extra road tax, fuel and servicing costs and divide it over the total mileage, it's such a small extra cost to motoring which is well worth paying to have that extra bit of power either for overtaking or for more peace in the cabin for motorway cruising but unfortunately a lot of buyers probably don't agree.

I take the point on the mats alright, it's maybe letting the car down a bit because it is immaculate.

The gear stick isn't actually worn down, the insert that goes there took a fatal whack from my gym bag when i was throwing it onto the passenger seat. I'm sure I could buy a replacement from Ford, but as i know where the gears are it's never actually bothered me since I did it!

Lol, it's nice to actually get a bit of proper return on our opinions. Fair play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

to the OP, Can i ask - as its a Uk car, and you brought it back home, did yhou get a VRT exemption on the VRT'ing the car.

if so, Drop the price another €1,500 to position yourself in with a winnnig chance of shifting it. If you did'nt have to pay the VRT - you can afford to do this.

Best of luck with the sale. Looks like a nice little car!

I'm with Gary here, nice to see someone come back with a reply on what we say.

It's more the market than the 1.4 that'll cause you hassle. It didn't have the 1.25 at launch. It came with the facelift IIRC.

I tend to agree that a car that size should have a 1.4 minimum, even a 1.6.

• Advertisement

Yeah it's strange the way people will give valuable helpful advice, to strangers, for free, and then the recipient not even have the manners to be thankful!

Maybe it's all the positive energy going round with Obama getting elected!

I think i've priced the car reasonably competitively, and I did so with a view to negotiating a discount to a buyer who came to view the car. I've only had one enquiry so far and unfortunately it doesn't look like they'll come to see the car, they've said they're going to view one at a dealer, so i might reprice the ad this week if that's the case.

I'll try find out if they do buy from the dealer what price they got because obviously that'd give me an idea of what cars are selling for, as opposed to the €9-10k prices that some dreamers have on CBG or carzone for a car i'm advertising at €7k!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

"one owner from new" would help to explain the UK angle.

Cheers guys.

I've dropped the price to €6,450. This is one of the cheapest for the year on the site, and 10k miles below most of the other cars.

To be honest if I was buying a car in the current environment I'd expect to offer at least €500 below asking, maybe a grand or more below.

I'm loathe to advertise it at €5,950 or below because if someone comes in offering €1500 or a grand below that takes it down to €4.5k or €5k! It's a lot of car for that money!

One point I might raise, I looked at Corsa's on the site and they seem to be at least €1k cheaper for the same year and mileage, is that because they're cheaper to buy originally or less desirable or just that all the Fiesta sellers on the site are dreamers aiming for a price that the market will never pay!

Oh, and would Buy and Sell be any use to advertise in or should i stick with CBG?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭joey54

I agree with the others on the mat front. By the look of them they're plastic so just give them a quick wash amd maybe think about taking the interior pictures again with them nice and clean.

Also if you can get the gear stick thing replaced that would be good. If it was me looking at it I would be a bit wary of it missing, I know there's prob no need but its just me, especially if it's a UK import.

If you don't mind me asking are you hoping to get the new model fiesta? I think it's a smashing car!

To be honest it's probably worth what you're asking if it's backed up by a dealer warranty and service, with new tyres or necessary bits etc....

Even in the last 2/3 weeks I've noticed thousands coming off cars.

I paid €6750 for my car in january, but I'd get someplace close to €3.5k for it now serviced, 2 new tyres and with very low mileage , hence I'm not selling.

Cars aren't worth anything anymore, to sell, you won't have to be the cheapest, you'll have to put "€6,450 or offers" on the ad.

Cheers yeah I'm not after a new fiesta, traded up to a new Focus, well ex demo. Smashing car.

Hoping not to be left with the Fiesta for too long, but with the daily apocalypse now news, of job cuts here, job cuts on the horizon there, I don't think there's too many people shopping around for 04 private sale Fiestas!

I only need to find one though, as Peter Pan said, anything's possible if you wish hard enough.

IT is mint so if i can only get someone out to view the car i think it'll sell, there's plenty of haggle room in the price, it's just finding someone who wants one that's the hard part.

I'd one caller but she had her own car to get rid of so opted to go to a dealer to trade, never came to see the car though.

I really need to find someone who's looking for either a 2nd car or their very first car, and i think it's a perfect motor for either.

I'd one caller but she had her own car to get rid of so opted to go to a dealer to trade, never came to see the car though.

I really need to find someone who's looking for either a 2nd car or their very first car, and i think it's a perfect motor for either.

And if someone had a trade in, and it wasn't a bad car, it could have less money tied up for you. Just a thought. You can always come on here for us to value it for ya :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

Cheers yeah I'm not after a new fiesta, traded up to a new Focus, well ex demo. Smashing car.

Hoping not to be left with the Fiesta for too long, but with the daily apocalypse now news, of job cuts here, job cuts on the horizon there, I don't think there's too many people shopping around for 04 private sale Fiestas!

I only need to find one though, as Peter Pan said, anything's possible if you wish hard enough.

IT is mint so if i can only get someone out to view the car i think it'll sell, there's plenty of haggle room in the price, it's just finding someone who wants one that's the hard part.

well you really seem genuine so even someone like myself lookin for a first car and wary of private sales feels you could be trusted. If it was January I'd be tempted but E6450 is a bit stiff for my 1st car. V.nice car though and well presented

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

Advertise it at your lowest price possible and don't give € 50 off. its the only way to get viewers its a year older in 6 weeks.€4950 would be realistic

this is only way to sell at moment

biggus wrote: »
    Advertise it at your lowest price possible and don't give € 50 off. its the only way to get viewers its a year older in 6 weeks.€4950 would be realistic

this is only way to sell at moment

I think biggus has a point.

Put your base price on it. €4950 won't shift it straight away, but advertise it "no offers, agencies or timewasters"

• Advertisement

ninty9er wrote: »
    "no offers, agencies or timewasters"

I can't say i agree with that, sounds a bit off putting for a potential customer. And no matter what price you have it at, they are going to try knock money off. Advertise it will an exta €250 or something added on. And when they come, tell them. No bull****ting, to drive the car away i'll take such and such, no less. It makes the buyer feel like they have got something off, make them feel good:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

I didn't give €50 discount on the last car i sold privately for 29950. I did give 40€ luck money. Buyer couldn't argue when i printed 12 others dearer on carzone

Advertisement