Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Computer wont display-HELP!!!

• 01-11-2008 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

I run my computer to my lcd TV to act as a monitor. Last week I disconnect my computer to go to my friends house for a LAN.
    When i got there I hook everything up right but his monitor would only display a bit of the start-up but then wont display anything. Then I went home and tried to hook it back to my TV, same problem, shows only a bit of the start up and then the TV says "no signal" and does display anything after that. I tried to fix it by pressing F1 or F something else and fiddling there but that made it worst. Now it wont display anything, "no signal"
    HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I run windows xp

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Make sure your GFX card is seated properly in the Motherboard. Could of come loose with all the moving and fiddling about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

The refresh rate was different on your friends monitor.

Try booting into safe mode by pressing 'f8' before it says 'loading windows' and select 'safe mode' this setting will only load the basics for xp to work, and you should be able to change the settings to the defaults.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 agent 47

But i cant see whats going on the screen has no picture
    The GFX is fitted alright I check

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Can you try using the tv as the monitor again, it's possibly stuck on tv mode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 doll2824

Its not as simple as it seems because monitors are smaller than tv.
    1. S-Video - This is probably the most common method out there currently because an S-Video cable is cheap as heck and just about every TV under the sun has a S-Video port. You’ll have to make sure you laptop is equipped with this port. Remember, there are two types of S-Video cables: 4-pin and 7-pin. Most laptops and PC’s are equipped with a 7-pin port, so if your TV only has a 4-pin S-Video port, then this method will not work.
    2. VGA - If you have a HDTV, then you will be better off connecting using a VGA cable. It gives much better quality than S-Video and as with S-Video, the cable is very cheap. You usually won’t find a VGA port on regular TV’s though, so this option is if you have an HDTV.
    3. DVI - DVI stands for Digital Visual Interface with “digital” being the key word there. The digital signal will give a higher quality picture than either S-Video or VGA. Of course, your computer will need to have a DVI connection and your TV will need to be an HDTV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 agent 47

I tried to connect the TV to another computer and it worked so it has to be the computer itself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 doll2824

yes you have to configuer the computer to the correct settings for the lcd tv.i bet if you check the setting on the 2 pcs that the one that isnt working ,the setting are different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭biologikal

agent 47 wrote: »
    But i cant see whats going on the screen has no picture
    The GFX is fitted alright I check

If you leave the PC booting (even if you can't see the screen), does the OS boot up, can you hear the startup sounds? If it does, then it's probably a settings issue, if you've made sure the card is in ok. You would then need to shut down the PC - some might if you keep the power button pressed in, otherwise it would be something like WindowsKey>UpArrow>Enter>Enter. After you get it shut down, start it up again, and press F8 every 3 seconds or so (don't keep it pressed in). It should be possible to hit the boot menu like this, then start in safe mode as advised already.

If nothing like this works, do you have an old blue VGA connector on your PC that you can connect to a monitor? The graphics card might have to be taken out to try this though.

Advertisement