Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Torrents No Longer Working *Eircom* Blocking Them ?

Options
  • 01-11-2008 2:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭

hey , as it says in the name,

i am using a torrent site ( that you pay for) for the good speeds. and the last day it aint been loading at all for me, either has any torrent site
    ive sent the link to a couple of mates that use diff internet providers around ireland and the sites load for them,
    Anyone else getting this?

i wont post any links as i dont want to get in trouble.
    Ive only upgraded on the site to vip 2 weeks ago and now this lol

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

A torrent site that you pay for? You don't know the right people it seems!

Try tracert'ing it (Start.Run."cmd"."tracert www.sitehere.com") - no quotes).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭akenny01

well yeah i pay for vip its unlimited and i dont have to seed, and get full speeds , not like places like mininova where u gota seed and they have wack speeds,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

No problems here. Have you gone over your cap?

Sarn wrote: »
    No problems here. Have you gone over your cap?

nope my eircom thing is unlimited

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Here's a link to a torrent for a ubuntu linux distro. All legal and above board. Dow do you get on with this?

• Advertisement

MarkR wrote: »
    Here's a link to a torrent for a ubuntu linux distro. All legal and above board. Dow do you get on with this?

i dont understand how to use ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Open it with your torrent program or save it to your desktop and open it from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Are you sure this is a torrent site? Being a torrenter you should be able to open one:)

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

If torrent sites aren't opening, it may be that they are blocked by an isp, though I don't recall any ever being blocked in Ireland. If that's the case it's not torrents that are blocked, but the site you were viewing the listings on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Look, I filled my bandwidth with this earlier, I'm also on Eircom, the ports aren't blocked and they don't interfere with torrents, they also don't enforce their download limit, so the problems elsewhere

• Advertisement

nah it works fine now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Been with UTV since flat rate dialup days. Moved house and SWMBO wanted minimum hassles and quick install so went with Eircom. (Till end of 6 month contract at least)

Anyway the new house is closer to the exchange and we are syncing at the full 7.6mbit/700kbit with line attentuation of only 15db compared to the 50 of the last house. Up and running 1 week after ording BB on the line.

So I set up the Eircom netopia router and started to investigate port forwarding for Azuerus and utorrent on this unfamiliar router.

Lo and behold, in the drop down menu of preconfigured ports mostly for games were settings for azeurys, utorrent, few other torrent programas as well as limewire, emule, edonkey etc etc

Either eircom don't give a feck what you use your connection for or this is a cunning plan to get you to use port ranges that they already block. :D:D

Looks like the former. I've been downloading some torrents at 600KB a sec

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

akenny01 wrote: »
    nope my eircom thing is unlimited

Just an fyi, Eircom don't have an unlimited package. Even their top 7 meg one has a 50 gig cap.
    Your monthly download allowance is 50GB

Your download allowance is 50GB per month. If you go over 50GB, then eircom reserve the right to charge you for all additional usage at a rate of 1c per MB. Think of it this way: there are 1,024MB in 1GB. Your 50GB are over 30,000Mb. A song is about 5Mb of data so you could download over 6,000 songs every month with your 50GB. If you go over your allowance, one extra song would cost you 5c.
    Even though they don't enforce it, it's still there so beware.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i dont understand how to use ?

sorry, but whatever it is that you are doing and calling 'torreting' it's NOT torrenting if you don't know how to use a torrent file. :rolleyes:

and no offence but if you're paying for the privilege then sorry but you really need to do a little bit of looking around before you get your credit card out (what's that they say about a fool and his money?).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

well yeah i pay for vip its unlimited and i dont have to seed, and get full speeds , not like places like mininova where u gota seed and they have wack speeds,

Torrenting and not having to seed is somewhat of an oxymoron. If there is nobody seeding, the system would grind to a halt. The reason why torrents are successful is because there isn't a central server to shut down if legal action is taken but if as you say you don't have to seed the data has to come from somewhere, which makes it seem like the set up you are using is more likely a http system of some sort. Not to mention the fact that you didn't know how to use the torrent file posted earlier in the thread.

If I were you I would stop paying for this service and do a little research on torrents and getting the best out of them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So hang on your paying to access a site that offers 100% legal torrents?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i'm sure he is. ;)

Advertisement