Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anyone else think the Bugatti Veyron is a very unimpressive vehicle?

Options
  • 01-11-2008 2:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭

Just listening to all the swooning and wowing that goes on about the veyron. Yes its very fast in a straight line. It should be, it has over a 1000bhp. Yes its very comfortable and drivable. It should be, it costs over a million quid and is quite heavy.

On the downside, it obviously isnt that great of a handler considering its been designed to be slippery through the air and creates very little drag. Its considerably slower around the nurburgring than a £50,000 Nissan with half the power and one thats not that much lighter. And its pig ugly.

What is the obsession with this thing? An ugly, expensive supercar that is relatively **** around a track. Anyone can make something fast in a straighline if they put 1000bhp in it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

So don't buy one.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Its an amazing piece of engineering. Nothing comes close to it in terms of speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

SSC Ultimate Aero: 257 mph+, 0-60 in 2.7 secs. Twin-Turbo V8 Engine with 1183 hp, base price is $654,400. Tested in March 2007 by Guinness world records, The SSC Ultimate Aero takes the lead as the fastest car in the world beating Bugatti Veyron.

And its almost certainly better around a track considering its much lighter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Its an amazing piece of engineering. Nothing comes close to it in terms of speed.

+1. Nothing out there even comes close. Anything that can burn 100 litres of fuel in 12 minutes deserves respect:D!

samsemtex wrote: »
    SSC Ultimate Aero: 257 mph+, 0-60 in 2.7 secs. Twin-Turbo V8 Engine with 1183 hp, base price is $654,400. Tested in March 2007 by Guinness world records, The SSC Ultimate Aero takes the lead as the fastest car in the world beating Bugatti Veyron.

And its almost certainly better around a track considering its much lighter.

Veyron is a much more impressive car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

E92 wrote: »
    Anything that can burn 100 litres of fuel in 12 minutes deserves respect:D!

Don't know about that - some of the bonfires around here last night were burning much more than that! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭ongarite

The thing that makes the Veyron impressive is that its also a luxury car with every bell & whistle and still one of the fastest cars ever, and seems to be a very easy and comfortable car to drive.

The SSC Ultimate Aero is only 4 miles/hr faster but is a lighter, stripped down race-car and probably a bone-shaker and loud, hot place to drive in.

ongarite wrote: »
    The thing that makes the Veyron impressive is that its also a luxury car with every bell & whistle and still one of the fastest cars ever, and seems to be a very easy and comfortable car to drive.

The SSC Ultimate Aero is only 4 miles/hr faster but is a lighter, stripped down race-car and probably a bone-shaker and loud, hot place to drive in.

The SSC sole purpose as a car was to take the record from the Veyron. I suppose thats impressive enough in its own right but the Bugatti did it first and did it far better.

Veyron is a much more impressive car.

You said nothing comes close in terms of speed and i gave one which is faster and much cheaper. Yes the SSC is relatively crap in every other area compared to the Veyron but it costs a fraction the price.

Whats so impressive about the Veyron? Its a luxury car with >1000bhp that costs an absolute fortune and its still slow around race tracks despite its amazing acceleration which is probably where it makes up most of the time on the other supercars. It must be ridiculously slow around corners if it can only do the Nurburgring in 7.40

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

You said nothing comes close in terms of speed and i gave one which is faster and much cheaper. Yes the SSC is relatively crap in every other area compared to the Veyron but it costs a fraction the price.
    And the price doesn't matter.

• Advertisement

Whats so impressive about the Veyron? Its a luxury car with >1000bhp that costs an absolute fortune and its still slow around race tracks despite its amazing acceleration which is probably where it makes up most of the time on the other supercars. It must be ridiculously slow around corners if it can only do the Nurburgring in 7.40
    So picture this. A long, long stretch of dual carriageway, two cars simmering beside each other at one end of it; a McLaren F1 plus a weird, insect-like machine with four huge tyres, an absurd number of scoops and winglets along the flanks and across the roof, plus a distinctive white-and-red badge on the nose that reads ‘Bugatti.’
    On the tail are written the letters E and B. On top of the engine, which has no cover and is exposed directly to the air for cooling purposes, are the numbers 16 and four; 16 cylinders, four turbochargers. Which, in case you were wondering, equates to 987bhp and 922lb ft.
    Out of nowhere the McLaren’s rear tyres suddenly light up and, after an eruption of V12 engine wail and wheelspin, it is gone, accelerating towards the far horizon. After 3.2sec it hits 60mph, after 6.3sec it reaches 100mph and after 10sec it passes 135mph. At which point the Bugatti sets off.
    There is virtually no wheelspin whatsoever: the Veyron is four-wheel drive. What there is is noise – a peculiar kind of signature that sounds a bit like two TVR Griffiths on full reheat plus an industrial-strength air hose, all at once. And to accompany this cacophony there is mind-bending, heart-stopping acceleration the like of which has never been felt before in a road car.
    After just 2.46sec the Veyron reaches 60mph, and barely a couple of seconds after that it bursts into three figures. But the thing you’ll really struggle to get your head round, the statistic you’ll be boring your mates with for some years to come, is this; despite setting off 10 seconds after the McLaren – when the F1 is already travelling at 130mph – the Bugatti reaches 200mph at exactly the same time as the F1. Think about that.
    That and lots of other similar feats. If you are appreciate engineering then you have to respect the Veyron. It was never designed to be a track racer. Its an 1800KG+ car.

Look how much faster this 600KG heavier car is than the SSC. (0-100)

2.26 Bugatti Veyron 16.4
    2.5 Caparo T
    2.6 Ultima GTR
    2.78 SSC Ultimate Aero TT

That and lots of other similar feats. If you are appreciate engineering then you have to respect the Veyron. It was never designed to be a track racer. Its an 1800KG+ car.

Look how much faster this 600KG heavier car is than the SSC. (0-100)

2.26 Bugatti Veyron 16.4
    2.5 Caparo T
    2.6 Ultima GTR
    2.78 SSC Ultimate Aero TT

Your're comparing a 1994 McLaren with 650bhp to a 2004 Bugatti with 1000bhp. The way it puts its power down is hugely impressive but even the way it makes its power i think is nothing too impressive.

and 8 litre, 16 cylinder engine that has 4 turbochargers on top of all that and it still only makes 1000bhp. A lot of people who fawn over the Veyron give out about mercedes' 5.4 liter supercharged v8s AMGs only making around 560bhp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

What makes the Veyron so impressive is the fact that it can be used every day, and it has been tested to the same standards as anything else VAG makes. It should be just as reliable as any of their cars, now while that may not sound fantastic to mosty of us, it is so far ahead of any other supercar in this regard it doesn't even bear thinking of.

It's not that difficult to make a car do 253 mph. The SSC proves that.

It is enormously more difficult to engineer something that can do 253 mph, AND give all the comfort and reliability that your average executive saloon gives.

That is what makes the Veyron such a spectacular car, and far, far more of an engineering achievement than anything else that gives Veyron performance.

Look on youtube for James May driving the car at 200mph. Very quiet and refined for a supercar going a speed that would see most fast cars fall apart.

and 8 litre, 16 cylinder engine that has 4 turbochargers on top of all that and it still only makes 1000bhp.
    Well lets play this game.

The SSC is 600KGs lighter and has 183BHP extra yet its still slower to 60mph and 100mph and only shades the Veryron by less than 3mph at top speed.

Call the car pointless, expensive, vulgar or whatever but don't say its unimpressive.

ps. The McLaren F1 was the fastest production car up until 2005 and went over 240mph, another serious machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

The Veyron is fast and I think it's a great piece of engineering, I don't think it's beautiful though, if I had the money id buy something else

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

When Piech came out with the design envelope for the Phaeton, the enineering team scratched their collective chins and then said that it couldn't be done. Piech insisted and they went and built it.

When Piech came out with the design envelope for the Veyron, his engineers told him to **** off (only in technical terms), that this was not just mad, but impossible. Yet they built it ...the impossible car.

That in itself is impressive enough. What makes it even more impressive is the fact that in all likelyhood there will never be another car like it, never mind a better one. Much like the Concorde, it was built to see if it could be done and much like the Concorde it will sit at the top of the evolutionary tree probably forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

That's..250mph..talking to the camera..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk1t6S737Cs

A road car..that will last thousands and thousands of miles without being cared for like a baby..

impressive?

it's unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

peasant wrote: »
    When Piech came out with the design envelope for the Phaeton, the enineering team scratched their collective chins and then said that it couldn't be done. Piech insisted and they went and built it.

When Piech came out with the design envelope for the Veyron, his engineers told him to **** off (only in technical terms), that this was not just mad, but impossible. Yet they built it ...the impossible car.

Piech, while no doubt a frustrating man to work for, is the type of company head you cannot help but admire and respect for ballsy move after ballsy move. Nice overview of him here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferdinand_Pi%C3%ABch

To the OP, simple way to settle this (or at least allow others to understand you) would be this: what would change the Veyron from "very unimpressive" to "impressive" in your eyes?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

What is the obsession with this thing? An ugly, expensive supercar that is relatively **** around a track. Anyone can make something fast in a straighline if they put 1000bhp in it.

The Veyron wouldn't be my first choice of 'Ring tool, but that doesn't make it a bad car.

I suppose you think the GT2 is a "better" car than the CGT because it does about the same 'Ring time but is much cheaper? Likewise the 430 Scuderia and the Enzo.

These sort of on-paper comparisons are only relevant if you are playing top trumps.

The Veyron is a 250mph road car. Judge it on those terms. People who have driven it on the road (and whose opinions I respect) say the Veyron is incredible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Just listening to all the swooning and wowing that goes on about the veyron. Yes its very fast in a straight line. It should be, it has over a 1000bhp. Yes its very comfortable and drivable. It should be, it costs over a million quid and is quite heavy.

On the downside, it obviously isnt that great of a handler considering its been designed to be slippery through the air and creates very little drag. Its considerably slower around the nurburgring than a £50,000 Nissan with half the power and one thats not that much lighter. And its pig ugly.

You're obviously not an engineer.

The Veyron is the most impressive car ever created. It may not be the most desirable, or sensible or practical or best looking but from a technical viewpoint it pushed the envelope into territories previously thought impossible.

It represents the pinnacle of automotive engineering technology on so many levels, when Piech announced the brief many chief engineers resigned, positive that it was impossible.

Even cooling the thing is incredible, the fact that it can do 200mph all day long without a hiccup.

The Veyron as a car doesnt do it for me from an emotive viewpoint. But as a feat of engineering and an excercise in what is possible it is simply staggering. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

I agree with the OP, it doesnt appeal to me at all. theres no doubt its a feat of engineering and all, but for that sort of price tag, the car is what you'd be expecting.

I'm not a big fan of it.,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

The OP's question is not whether or not it appeals to you, its whether or not it is impressive. And it is. Of course. If the Veyron is unimpressive what that is worldy is impressive?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Errrm.
    it doesnt really "impress" me, so no, it doesnt appeal to me either.
    same difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

It is a vastly impressive car because of this fact -

if you had one, it would get you laid (daily i'd say)cos it would be the ultimate tottie magnet!

nuff said.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

It is a vastly impressive car because of this fact -

if you had one, it would get you laid (daily i'd say)cos it would be the ultimate tottie magnet!

nuff said.

I think if i pulled up in a Ferrari 360, with three other 360's on a big trailer behind me i'd get more:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Meh, if this guy can make a Chevy V8 develop 2,200bhp from his shed in Wolverhampton, it doesn't really say much about the boffins in VAG.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Max_Damage wrote: »
    Meh, if this guy can make a Chevy V8 develop 2,200bhp from his shed in Wolverhampton, it doesn't really say much about the boffins in VAG.

It's a nitroused 9.3 litre caged drag car, cost £100k to produce, only passes emissions testing because the original car is decades old, and needs a 2 hour engine inspection after every "use".

Impressive and amusing, but a fairly lame comparison with a Veyron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

I think if i pulled up in a Ferrari 360, with three other 360's on a big trailer behind me i'd get more:P

Maybe in Limerick mate, maybe in Limerick!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭martydunf

colly10 wrote: »
    The Veyron is fast and I think it's a great piece of engineering, I don't think it's beautiful though, if I had the money id buy something else

Agreed. When are you ever gonna need to use 1000bhp in every day driving. And as stated before hand its not exactly a track-friendly super car.

Advertisement