Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung TV HDMI mode not working

Options
  • 01-11-2008 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

Right. I purchased my Samsung 32 inch HD ready TV last year. About 1 month ago the hdmi function stopped working so Sky HD was no longer working. Sky box said there was a problem with the TV. Rang Sky, they said call Samsung. Samsung blame Sky. Endless loop.

Now, in the meantime I reconnected the Sky box via component which restored HDTV from Sky. I purchased a HDMI dvd player and hooked that up to the tv and it wouldn't work. Tried a new HDMI cable and same result.

The problem is that the TV cannot handle HDCP which is an encryption method used by SKY and DVD players.

I called Samsung again and basically they told me to F off as the TV was over 1 year old.

Questions.

1. Do I have any rights here? The TV I bought now cannot be used in HDMI mode. I can work around the problem but that is not the point.

2. Is the 1 year warranty a thing of the past? I thought that under European regulations that a min of 2 years was required.

3. Would I get anywhere arguing that the TV is not fit for purpose?

Any advice would be appreciated?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

So your Sky HD was working and then stopped working? Through HDMI?
    Did Sky only start using HDCP then, or was you TV able to handle it and now can't for some reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

My samsungs firmware can be updated with a USB key, maybe check for that. There might even be an online hacked/modded firmware to do it. I got hacked firmware for my dvdplayer to make it region free and take off the encryption detection when recording old videos or DVDs.

Check www.avforums.com too, no doubt many will have the same problem as samsungs are popular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

MOH wrote: »
    So your Sky HD was working and then stopped working? Through HDMI?
    Correct.
    MOH wrote: »
    Did Sky only start using HDCP then, or was you TV able to handle it and now can't for some reason?
    That is something I am not sure of. Some say Sky were using HDCP since last year, others say they are still rolling it out.
    rubadub wrote: »
    My samsungs firmware can be updated with a USB key, maybe check for that. There might even be an online hacked/modded firmware to do it. I got hacked firmware for my dvdplayer to make it region free and take off the encryption detection when recording old videos or DVDs.

Check www.avforums.com too, no doubt many will have the same problem as samsungs are popular.

The only service hole on the tv is not USB. I have googled the model number and can find nothing. I shall keep at this.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Video systems used to use macrovision. My mate had some inline contraption that removed this before it entered the TV. You might be able to get some similar device. But it is crazy that you have to fork out for such a device and it would probably degrade the signal a bit.

I know macrovision itself was said to degrade pic quality.

You should post here too, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=54 a few lads there really know their stuff.

Advertisement