Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

k800i

• 01-11-2008 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Any thoughts on the K800i?

Battery life, build quality etc. It looks quite solidly built.

I know it's pretty old now by the way, but don't have much cash to throw around. I want it as a long lasting phone for texts/calls with good battery life. Camera's an added bonus I suppose.

If I brought it into any of those "Unlock your phone for 15 euro!" shops would they be able to do it, or does this model cause any problems?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it's a good phone but a little dated now.

i had one for 1.5 years and the only fault i had with it was the camera slider would sometimes come undone in my pocket and turn on the camera then wasting battery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Definitely recommend the k800i, great phone and well built. Solid signal, battery (compared to some of the more recent phones), great camera, etc.

I guess the camera slide in the pocket could be an issue but this I never found to be an issue.

My mate had a 6300 and I convinced him to get a k800i after about 6 months ... now he's happier for the move :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Herself has one - very solid, sweet camera. Atrocious video though. Apart from that it seems to be one of the best SE phones - only second to the new C90X series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,496 ✭✭✭✭guil

This post has been deleted.
    how can ya unlock it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,316 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

great phone, upgraded to a n95

the camera in the k800 better than the n95 (except for video), the screen on the k800 really sharp and bright too, k800 great looking phone too imho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I had one years ago & liked it at the time, but when I changed it I realised that I had been carrying a brick around & it was a big relief to have a smaller phone. Any current SE phone will at least match it for features in a much smaller package...

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Dammer

The K800i is an excellent phone. Took loads of great photos with it over the years...

Pros -
    Very good camera with xenon flash.
    Long battery life, as long as you turn the 3G only signal off
    Very easy to navigate the menus

Cons -
    Camera slide cover does tend to get caught in your pocket (a crystal case will fix this)
    Is a bit on the "chunky" side

You really can't go wrong with it, had mine for 19 months and loved it..
    Get one now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭DavidLive

I currently have the Sony Ericsson K800i. I got it about two years ago now, I think, on O2. I got it as an upgrade for €29, or something ridcolously cheap in cost. It's a very good phone.

The Camera is excellent, and a lot of my photographs are taken on it. The Flash is also very good, and is Xenon, if I remember. The battery life, as Dammer said, is very good, and it also has the benefit of optimised charging, so you can see it fully charged, if powered on, in about half an hour. Not bad, huh?

Personally, the only issues I have, and this is from my point of view, if the joystick. This handset still has a joystick, unlike the newer SE models. I have had the get it replaced, via O2's SOS (Swap out Service) twice, as the joystick was funny, and couldn't scroll down correctly. Currently, the joystick is a bit ropey, but this happens over age, I think, or if you are a heavy user. Free Texters Beware, you're included. Your over usage of the phone may lead to this... But, as I said, this is only my experience with it, and will vary. I would recommend the phone.

This handset has truly converted me to Sony Ericsson, and I will only hopefully be changing over in a few weeks to Nokia (N95) because my K800i needs to be changed, and because I'm currently in awe at the power of the N95.

In other words, get the K800i, and you won't regret it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,496 ✭✭✭✭guil

guil07 wrote: »
    how can ya unlock it
    quick update
    i rang 02 for the code but they said i hadnt topped up enough so today went into the 02 shop in the town and they gave me the code there and then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

+1 for the K800i.

It was my last handset and I loved it. It takes excellent pictures and is an all-round great handset.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

DavidLive wrote: »
    Personally, the only issues I have, and this is from my point of view, if the joystick. This handset still has a joystick, unlike the newer SE models. I have had the get it replaced, via O2's SOS (Swap out Service) twice, as the joystick was funny, and couldn't scroll down correctly. Currently, the joystick is a bit ropey, but this happens over age, I think, or if you are a heavy user. Free Texters Beware, you're included. Your over usage of the phone may lead to this... But, as I said, this is only my experience with it, and will vary. I would recommend the phone.

Still using the K800i I bought last year and it is one of the best phones, I've ever had. Once you install Opera Mini for surfing as well, it comes into a league of its own. As previously mentioned, a great all rounder.
    If there's one critisism I'd have, the keys are on the small side for texting, but its not a showstopper.

DavidLive, I've had that issue with the joystick not going down as well, but I found that it was because the power button was getting stuck on 1 side (very hard to see with the cize and colour of the button. If you rub it with your finger, it will come loose again, and all should be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭needhelpguy

Good phone I've had it for a few years now but I have two major criticisms:

The OS is extremely slow compared to other models. This frustrates me no end.
    The video recording is awful quality.

Apart from that it's a pretty good phone, well built, good keypad. You can get them second hand on ebay for between €30-50.

The power button getting stuck on one side?

What do you mean? How would this affect the joystick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

The joysick breaks constantly on K800i I had mine replaced twice & my younger brother had his rerplaced twice.

Most Sony Ericsson phones these days at least equal the spec of a k800i but with better form factor and more features...

Bluefoam wrote: »
    The joysick breaks constantly on K800i I had mine replaced twice & my younger brother had his rerplaced twice.

Most Sony Ericsson phones these days at least equal the spec of a k800i but with better form factor and more features...
    That's probably why Sony Ericsson have moved off to keypad like navigation keys... Because of the joystick criticism...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭cullenswood

People are saying other SE phones are just as good but can someone tell of which one I can get which has as good a battery life, 3.1 megapix camera, as big a screen and for 130 with 120 call credit which is what I got mine for last Crimbo. I think the K800i is definitely the best bargain phone out there and has all the features I want. I even use it to watch movies on the way to work

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

For some reason, when the power button gets stuck, it seems to interfere with the operation of the joystick. The day I bought my K800i, I had to bring it back an hour later as the "down" on the joystick would not work. They gave me a new one and low and behold, 2 days later the same thing happened. I was just about to go back to the shop, when I tried to restart the phone and felt a slight "pop" movement from the power button. After that , the joystick worked perfectly.
    I always make sure to clean around that area of the phone to make sure that crud doesn't get in to the power button to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    Gave my friend that same advice for his K800i and he has had no issue since either.

Advertisement