Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Organic bird food

• 01-11-2008 4:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭

Anyone seen organic bird food for sale anywhere? I see a lot of 'approved by some organisation or other' stuff but nothing organic.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Can't say I have and I certainly don't see why you would want it. It's just bird food and there have never been any links between non-organic bird food and any bird health issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Poll Dubh

I want it because I'm concerned about the damage being caused to the environment in the countries where the seed/nuts are produced. Who knows how many birds are being harmed in the producing countries by generous application of pesticides and insecticides. I suspect vast areas are laid waste for wildlife so that we can look at birds in our back gardens.

In that case then you should have ethical problems with the concept of growing any crop to feed garden birds (Organically or not) when that land could be used to grow food for people much in need of it. Why not just feed your birds with locally sourced materials in that case, or let them find the food locally themselves? What about the shipping of bird food around the globe and the fuel it uses - the impact of oil drilling on natural landscapes? What about the mining of metals in third world countries to make the bird feeders?
    I'm being facetious of course but what is the point of taking only a part stance on an issue like bird food? I think I'd worry about the harm to people before I'd start campaigning for Organic food for birds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Poll Dubh

Of course I'm concerned about people - I reckon the agricultural workers involved in the production of bird food in developing countries are being subjected to dangerous levels of chemicals as well.

I want to continue to put out birdfood, and I know that by putting out organic feed won't eliminate the environmental impact but it will go a long way in reducing it. It's within my power to do something small that's positive rather than waiting for the world's problems to be sorted out beforehand, which is unlikely to happen anytime soon.

So back to my original request, anybody seen organic birdfood anywhere?

I think you missed most of the points I made in that growing any crop (organic or not) to feed birds as opposed to feeding people is questionable, but anyway...

I have just googled it and found 3 Irish Suppliers in less that 3 minutes so I suggest you do a Web search rather than me advertise here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement