Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ivan Yates Should join Newstalk

• 01-11-2008 4:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Just listening to Ivan Yates in the last while occasionally subbing for George Hook I have to say he is doing a very good job.

Is it time that Newstalk just plain hired him full time?

One show where he would fit perfectly is the Lunchtime Show. To be fair Eamonn Keane is doing a very good job, but the show is up against Sean O Rourke on RTE Radio One. O Rourke is terrific but if Ivan Yates was put on the other channel we would have great lunch time radio.

Where would Keane go? Well he is a very capable presenter and could be the swing jock for all the shows on Newstalk. He can do hard current affairs and soft stuff and so could do breakfast but also Tom Dunnes show, he could fill for Moncrieff and also late night live etc.

With Yates on Lunchtime, Newstalk would have a a very strong line up.

That's if Mr. Yates would have time for it.

Comments

Is he not busy with his bookies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

54321 wrote: »
    Just listening to Ivan Yates in the last while occasionally subbing for George Hook I have to say he is doing a very good job.

Is it time that Newstalk just plain hired him full time?

One show where he would fit perfectly is the Lunchtime Show. To be fair Eamonn Keane is doing a very good job, but the show is up against Sean O Rourke on RTE Radio One. O Rourke is terrific but if Ivan Yates was put on the other channel we would have great lunch time radio.

Where would Keane go? Well he is a very capable presenter and could be the swing jock for all the shows on Newstalk. He can do hard current affairs and soft stuff and so could do breakfast but also Tom Dunnes show, he could fill for Moncrieff and also late night live etc.

With Yates on Lunchtime, Newstalk would have a a very strong line up.

That's if Mr. Yates would have time for it.

I wouldn't bet on it!

I heard him yesterday and thought his inexperience in radio presentation was evident. He seemed to stumble and trip over words quite a bit, his questions weren't great, plus he does not have years of experience behind a radio desk needed to front such a programme and it showed.

Its also a bit laughable that a lot of the people Hook interviews end up filling in for him sooner or later and then end up interviewing each other either in studio or over the phone.

Yesterday Ivan, a regular interviewee on the programme was sitting in for US bound Hook, interviewed regular Hook stand-in and interviewee Kevin Myers who then went on to apologise for his Independent article on the Brand/Ross situation, by saying he wrote it in haste and didn't give a second thought but had he actually thought it through he would have wrote a completely different slant on the story so if he's having to question his own confidence in judgement...but I digress, Ivan Yates is not a broadcaster, he's an ex-politician turned bookie and to me thats his true calling, its what he's best at and should stick to.

As for Eamon Keane, let's just say Sean O' Rourke has nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭todolist

I thought Yates did a great job standing in for hook.
    Just shows you how easy this radio malarkey is.Paying Gerry Ryan half a million a year to talk for 3 hours a day.C'mon,Yates proves it's not fecking rocket science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Never needed to prove it isn't rocket science- we know it isn't.

All you need is a brass neck and a few connections out in Montrose.

Paying Ryan that salary is like rewarding a bus driver for filling the bus at rush hour.

It's totally crazy the way these guys have their noses in the public trough like that,laughing at the rest of us.:mad:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I find him ok. I think he's used correctly though: occassionally.
    I'd raise an eyebrow if he was given a full time spot as he carries too much baggage to be taken as a seriously indepedent chair. Ex Fine Gael combined with a working bookie leads one to bit a bit more than cautious when tuning in.

As for rocket science...his big square WASP jaw does put one in mind of Buzz Lightyear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

I think the chap should run in the bi-election in South Dublin and go for the leadership of FG, enough of the part time radio lark. He seems quite impartial in his interviews, and is far from the worst fill in presenter I have heard (Myles Dungan).

Advertisement