Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why Do Dogs Chase Cars

• 01-11-2008 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

A good friend of mine lent me a book called "Fixed", if your firmilar with the Ray D'Arcy Show you'll probably know of it. Anyways I was flicking through it and stumbled across the following question which I just had to share;
    "Ray, why do dog's chase cars? It's not as if their going to catch one and eat it."

I had to laugh when I read the answer which they got from TV3 vet Pete Wedderburn;
    "As far as dogs are concerned every time they chase a car they win because the car always runs away, so for dogs it's a win win situation and they learn that cars are great things to chase because they don't turn around and shout at them or turn around and bite them, they run away every time. And that's why dogs love it so much!"

:pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

The answer is not wrong!

although its a bit more simple than that, dogs chase what runs away, cars appear to be running away so there instinct tells them to chase!

also not all dogs chase cars..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

And Snoopy said "they were trying to read the hubcaps" !!! :D:D:D

ValerieR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Same reason they chase cats I suppose. Once my cat learned than running away was what caused our dogs to chase him he simply stopped and now they don't bother him.

My other cat still has to learn this though and the dogs give her a hard time. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

"As far as dogs are concerned every time they chase a car they win because the car always runs away, so for dogs it's a win win situation and they learn that cars are great things to chase because they don't turn around and shout at them or turn around and bite them, they run away every time. And that's why dogs love it so much!"

Similar reason for postment and other delivery folk, the postie makes a noise drops something in and runs off the dog thinking postie is running away rather than just going about his buisness.

Mind you dogs shouldn't be out and loose only way to stop it is to not allow pooches to run loose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

because their ignorant owner doesn't keep them secured? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

Because they dont have an XBOX or Sky tv.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭danburke

My girlfriend took in a stray fox terrier-ish bitch two years ago...

She is such a lovely dog but she would chase anything that moved..

As my gf also had two cats they didn't think they could keep her until one day the older cat got fed up running away turned about and clawed her across the nose..

It was one of the funniest things i have ever seen..she ran straight into her basket almost crying. I must add the dog wasnt physcally hurt at all i think it was just the shock of it. Ever since she pays quiet alot of respect to the two cats. They even sleep together sometyimes now

Advertisement