Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A6 2.0tdi Diesel - opinions..

Options
  • 01-11-2008 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭

Have been thinking of finally changing my car for the past while. Main contenders would be the Audi A6 2.0tdi or the IS220 or something along that line i.e. Diesel, decent sized, economic and comfort.

I am currently lookig at a 05 A6 2.0TDI - S-Line and after taking it for a drive I'm bloody tempted... But just wondering what people think of them? Any one have any words of warning/advice? Its got about 70K mles on the clock but I dont think that would be a big worry would it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Shes's only broke in @ 70k miles.
    Tho' - check, check and check again the service history and verify milage on these. Easily clocked are Audi's.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

IS220 is limited in boot space and rear leg-room. Beautiful to drive, though.
    Audi A6 is due a new version in a couple of weeks, and Audi dealer told me today prices are dropping, and will drop further on new ones. presumably with a knock on to older ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

whiterebel wrote: »
    and Audi dealer told me today prices are dropping, and will drop further on new ones.

Pricing is out for the new one. No price drops in the pipeline that I'm aware of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

140 bhp in a big heavy saloon means overtaking will require plenty of forward planning.

I'd be strongly of the opinion that it needs a more powerful and larger engine. I have a 1993 520i, which is around the same size than the A6 but is far lighter, and it needs to be worked hard on a regular basis. My BMW has more power than the A6 by the way. I therefore fail to see how a less powerful engine in a much heavier car is going to offer enough performance.

These type of cars are best enjoyed with larger and more powerful engines; the 2.7 TDI or the 3.0 TDI might be a lot more expensive to tax, but they'll also provide a suprior driving experience. They'll only be a few mpg worse too, the average Joe may think a 2.7 or a 3.0 is going to ruin him for fuel consumption but the truth is they're only a few mpg worse than a 2.0 litre engine.

The 2.0 TFSI would be the alternative choice since it is considerably more powerful than the 2.0 TDI but like the 2.0 TDI is in the same tax band, and because it's petrol will be much cheaper to buy than the diesel.

The Lexus is smaller but because it has a bigger engine, will be a lot quicker, and RWD means it should be better than the A6 through the bends and for driver involvement. Being a Lexus it will absolutely never ever go wrong, and Lexus dealers have a superb reputation for looking after their clients.

The Audi has a way nicer interior, has a better badge if you're bothered by that kind of thing, and is far more elegant to look at.

E92 wrote: »
    The Audi has a way nicer interior, has a better badge if you're bothered by that kind of thing, and is far more elegant to look at.

Better Badge? God i'm Contrary this morning so I'll say this about Audi's.

They are Expensive Volkswagons - thats all.
    VAG group - skoda,seat,audi blah blah blah.
    I've never felt the whole prestige thing about audi's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭jamesO

Yea the skoda's same interior's different badge better for high milage ask any taxi driver, far better value but for some people it's all about the badge, apart from the new A5 TT and of coarse the R8 ooooooh so sexy.

jO-D

jamesO wrote: »
    Yea the skoda's same interior's different badge better for high milage ask any taxi driver, far better value but for some people it's all about the badge, apart from the new A5 TT and of coarse the R8 ooooooh so sexy.

jO-D

I'm sorry, the interior of a Skoda's the same as the interior of an Audi?

Rubbish!

AudiChris wrote: »
    I'm sorry, the interior of a Skoda's the same as the interior of an Audi?

Rubbish!

The interior of the new Suberb is very Audi-esque....no denying that?:D

Like i've been in Both new ones.........drove them too -

the fit and finish is very similar and the switchgear near identical - infact i'd say the skoda is better screwed togther imho

Audi interior -
    http://z.about.com/d/cars/1/0/J/p/ag_07a6avant_interior.jpg

Skoda interior -
    http://storage0.dms.mpinteractiv.ro/media/2/41/1823/2327827/8/skoda-superb-2001.jpg

I'll go and check it out, haven't been in it yet.

Fabia and Octavia are the ones I'm most familiar with.

• Advertisement

AudiChris wrote: »
    I'll go and check it out, haven't been in it yet.

Fabia and Octavia are the ones I'm most familiar with.

Well, WHY ohhhh why are you exclaiming "rubbish" on this forum if you have'nt been in the Skoda yet Chris?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

OK I've been in a high spec skoda superb, the previous model, and while it was nice it was not a touch on the A6 S-line. Maybe the newer model is closer but I'm not buying new.

Badge wise I've had an opel and a couple of seats. I've been open to other cars when looking but the Audi has always been top of the list. But looks of a car are a personnal thing. Audi cabins are always a nice place to be in my mind, more so in the S-Line or S/RS's.

Performance wise I was surprised by the 2.0TDI as I was expecting it to be more sluggish than it was. Its not a fast car having a 0-100kph time roughly 4 seconds slower than my current motor (A6 2.0TDI is something like 11seconds if I remember right). But honestly it just did not matter the way it got to 60 was done in grace and in comfort.

I'm past the need for power or edge of the seat driving, I'm looking for comfort and a nice relaxing drive with pretty decent economy as I do pretty long trips.

As for BMW's they just dont do it for me...

kayos wrote: »
    OK I've been in a high spec skoda superb, the previous model, and while it was nice it was not a touch on the A6 S-line. Maybe the newer model is closer but I'm not buying new.

No, the new model Superb is very Audi like.
    The old model was more 1997 old VW passat-esque:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

i have an a6 avant '06 with the 2.7tdi engine. Before i got it I drove the 2.0 tdi from my local garage in Kilkenny and thought it was underpowered for the size of car. Either way the car is really brilliant - esp if you get one that is hi-spec. If you get xenon lights, you get the most amazing rear LED clusters. i bought mine in the UK last summer (07), and would highly recommend getting on over there for the spec and alone ( and generally lower mileage). the only downside is that they are near impossible to hook an ipod / iphone to without spending loads of cash! best of luck...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

E92 wrote: »
    140 bhp in a big heavy saloon means overtaking will require plenty of forward planning.

Rubbish to be honest, I must tell my da to stop overtaking so :rolleyes:

The Audi A6 is fine on the road with the 2L Tdi. These engines are putting out 150-155 anyway (source Audi mechanic who serviced/remapped the oul fella's car recently). They're not a rocketship by any means but they easily hold up with traffic and can overtake quite easily. The 6spd gearbox is sweet too and its easy to drop a couple of cogs. They're very comfortable on the road and the interior is so much nicer than anything else in its class.

What I would say is that there are loads of them around at the mo so you might as well shop around. I'd plump for low mileage Irish car with FSH and avoid possible UK clock jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Have been thinking of finally changing my car for the past while. Main contenders would be the Audi A6 2.0tdi or the IS220 or something along that line i.e. Diesel, decent sized, economic and comfort.

I am currently lookig at a 05 A6 2.0TDI - S-Line and after taking it for a drive I'm bloody tempted... But just wondering what people think of them? Any one have any words of warning/advice? Its got about 70K mles on the clock but I dont think that would be a big worry would it?

the new is220 is a good looking car, id more then likely pick it simple for the family run about that you can bring anywhere, park it anywhere and its not normally out of place...

the audi just doesnt look nice enough imo.... with a bigt engine their great, heeps of power but i agree with everyone on the point that the 2.0 tdi lump is too small

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

S.I.R wrote: »
    the new is220 is a good looking car, id more then likely pick it simple for the family run about that you can bring anywhere, park it anywhere and its not normally out of place...

the audi just doesnt look nice enough imo.... with a bigt engine their great, heeps of power but i agree with everyone on the point that the 2.0 tdi lump is too small

Well looks are a very subjective thing, to me the A6 wins out in looks over the IS220, but I do like the IS220. It’s more of elegant Vs flash in my view when comparing the two. But again that’s just my view on the looks of the two. But I totally get the parking side of things, the A6 is a big bloody car and I don’t think I would be trying parking it in Jury’s in Galway parking assist or not lol.

As for performance I said it previously but I’ll say it again, I’m not looking for a performance car I’m looking for something with comfort and a relaxing drive. Honestly about 5 or 6 years of a hot hatch has worked all my need for speed cravings (for now any way). After driving the 2.0TDI it was fine in terms of performance for me.

So any one have any actual “look out for” or “xyz is prone to going kaboom” advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

So any one have any actual “look out for” or “xyz is prone to going kaboom” advice?

Try www.honestjohn.co.uk for any warranty info. The da's car needed the turbo changed as a precaution as it was making a funny noise on overboost (changing gear). It also leaked to the interior when brand new but that was fixed. Since then its been a dream for him. The dealers are rubbish however.

Try to get one with the phone prep and its a big car to park so park assist would be useful. Also the rear seats don't fold down so you cant carry long items. The boot is pretty big in all other respects. In fact the da said that he would go for the Avant if he was going again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Well looks are a very subjective thing, to me the A6 wins out in looks over the IS220, but I do like the IS220. It’s more of elegant Vs flash in my view when comparing the two. But again that’s just my view on the looks of the two. But I totally get the parking side of things, the A6 is a big bloody car and I don’t think I would be trying parking it in Jury’s in Galway parking assist or not lol.

As for performance I said it previously but I’ll say it again, I’m not looking for a performance car I’m looking for something with comfort and a relaxing drive. Honestly about 5 or 6 years of a hot hatch has worked all my need for speed cravings (for now any way). After driving the 2.0TDI it was fine in terms of performance for me.

They're prone to drinking oil. Can be some intercooler problems too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Like i've been in Both new ones.........drove them too -

the fit and finish is very similar and the switchgear near identical - infact i'd say the skoda is better screwed togther imho

Audi interior -
    http://z.about.com/d/cars/1/0/J/p/ag_07a6avant_interior.jpg

Skoda interior -
    http://storage0.dms.mpinteractiv.ro/media/2/41/1823/2327827/8/skoda-superb-2001.jpg

Good post. If you remove the badges, you wouldn't know which is which. I hate where the ignition is on the Audi, the rattle of keys should be annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

new lexus's have no big problems to report, once its not one of their hybrid contraptions you can look forward to a few years of motoring bliss ( once the usual maintenance is done ofcourse. )

the A6 has been around a Good few years so all the kinks are naturally worked out, only small electrical faults id be looking out for myself.

Honestly, cant go too wrong by buying either imo.

Advertisement